What's new

Strange anomaly w/ Jay and Silent Bob on JVC XVSA75 (1 Viewer)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I was just watching this movie tonight for the first time on my new Panny PT47. I have a JVC XVSA75GD progressive scan DVD player and this was my first time watching this DVD in progressive scan on this player and something weird happened halfway through the film.

The player switched progressives modes. The first half the DVD player was in film mode, then after the diner escape and sewer chase(I am vague enough not to spoil) the light on the front of the player went red, meaning video mode. The picture looked different and that is what caused me to look at the red light ont he player.

ANy ideas?

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Sorry the above was kinda vague. What I am asking is why on earth the player would switch modes on a certain cut in the film? I switched it back to film mode and the picture looked really REALLY freaky. I currently have the player set on Smart mode. I barely noticed the transition from film to video, but it was subtle enough to see.

SO was the last twenty minutes of this thing shot differently, maybe an authoring error? Or another JVC quirk, like Star Wars?

Josh Pounds

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I have the same player and noticed the same problem. I also noticed this on Blair Witch 2 and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, as well as pretty much every movie I have with chapter stops. The player switches modes for an instant where there was a flag for a chapter stop.

Bottom line is: DVDs don't "have" to be encoded in Progressive mode...it's just an authoring problem. It's not your player, it's the DVD.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Sean,

Yeah I have a JVC also.

You have to watch Jay & Silent Bob in SMART MODE, or else in FILM and AUTO mode, you will get these jaggy camera pans.

Like when they first arrive at the other convienent store or just after they knock out the security guard and you see the "Resivor Dogs" men walking from one end to the other.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
NO, it is not a jaggie camera pan. The image was rock solid and beautiful until the escape from the diner, then it switched to video mode. Other than that the film played without a hitch.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Sean,

Yeah but watch how the picture is when there is camera pans.

Scene- When the Resivor Dogs men are walking from one end of the studio to the other.(just after Jay and Bob knock out the security guard)

Watch it in FILM or AUTO MODE and when the camera pans..it's more jaggy and unnatural looking.

But in SMART MODE, its a little more smoother.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Rules of Engagement is also badly flagged. It's not the player, it's the disks. Bummer, as I really like RoE.
Peace Out~:D

You know, I really wish that their would be more attention paid to flag placement on dvds. As progressive scan becomes more and more affordable and more people are buying, there are going to be lots more questions as to what the heck is going on with my player, when really its the dvd itself....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks