1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Strange Annoying Audio Problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Bourden, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden Second Unit

Hello,

Having a, well, huge issue here.

The Background:

My equipment pertaining to audio is:

Denon 1802
    JVC XV-S40

For the past month or so, with exams and being busy with work, I haven't been able to watch a single film. Occasional music, but no DD or DTS movies, NONE, whatsoever.

Last Night:

Put in Gone in 60, on DD.

All sound effects were there through all channels, but no voices. I could see them talking, but there was just NO voices, I mean ZERO. When I switched the source to stereo, it worked FINE. In both cases, the receiver said I had a digital connection, and it was active.

I thought perhaps something had happened to the disk, so I put in Star Trek: First Contact. Again, all the sound effects were there, but not a SINGLE voice when in DD. I switched to stereo, and once again, the voices were there. Back to DD, all sound effects except voices again.

Tossed in Shrek. Put it on DD, no voices, only sound effects. Put it on stereo, voices and all were there, just no surround, obviously.

Tried DTS, and NOTHING, no sound what so ever on this disk.

Put in a Kenwood demo disk, with 5.1 music recordings by a band called "Bird3". Played perfectly in DD.

Now, I have not touched my setup in over a month, the last movie I wanted being Ice Age, which worked fine.

I checked my DVD player's menu, it's set to Stream / PCM, with the other options being Dolby Digital / PCM and PCM only.

This happened with 5 of my friends over last night, and it was both embarrassing and horribly annoying.

Any help you can provide would be very much appreciated, as I am currently in the process of losing my mind trying to figure this out.

2. Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden Second Unit

Well, it looks like it really IS the simplest things that screw up a good setup! [​IMG]

I had some painters over last weekend to repaint a wall behind my HT setup. Looks like with the moving / covering with drop cloths, a wire into my center channel came loose.

I just redid all my connections, and found it half hanging out, either shorting, or not making a connection at all to the terminal.

Reconnected it, and there we go, DD and DTS both work again, properly.

What a relief, and boy, do I ever feel like a fool :b

3. Adam.Gonsman

Adam.Gonsman Stunt Coordinator

Don't feel too bad Scott. We all tend to overlook the simplest things. I know I've done similar stuff and I'll bet nearly everyone on the board has at one point or another. Just glad there's nothing really broken.