strange amp/receiver feature

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard cash, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Richard cash

Richard cash Stunt Coordinator

I have had a sony strdb940 for a while now and have always wondered one thing. The remote that comes with the amp can control other devices. I thought this would be done by simulating the device remote and sending an IR beam to it but this cannot be.

i have a tape player connected to the receiver which does not use a remote control and so doesn't have an IR receiver on the fromt of the deck. The receiver can still control the tape player and i can use functions like fast forward, rewind, play( in both directions).

how can this be? the only way the tape and the receiver are connected are via 2 pairs of phono(play and record).

Can anyone explain to me how a signal for these functions are carried along a phono, it just doesn't make any sense how this can happen. I am sure this must happen on other amp and receivers too.

2. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Richard,even if your tape player did not come with an IR remote it may still have an IR pick up. If you take a flashlight & look in the front display area you will probley see it there somewhere,it will look like a LED and be either a slight reddish color or clear. Or if you are using a Sony tape deck & you have the systems cord (small 1/8" headphone style plug)plugged in it will control these features...

3. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

Sounds like magic to me[​IMG]
    -rob