What's new

Pre-Order Strait-Jacket (1964) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
36400_front.jpg

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Click Here

Last edited:

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Mill Creek is also releasing a Blu-ray of STRAIT-JACKET in August. It's a double feature along with Joan Crawford's other Columbia film BERSERK! They're calling it a Psycho Biddy Double Feature

Psycho biddy? :lol: I'm sure Crawford would have loved that!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Mill Creek is also releasing a Blu-ray of STRAIT-JACKET in August. It's a double feature along with Joan Crawford's other Columbia film BERSERK! They're calling it a Psycho Biddy Double Feature.

https://www.millcreekent.com/strait-jacket-and-berserk-double-feature-blu-ray.html

I'm sure the Shout version will contain some sort of extra features, however. But this is an interesting development.
I'm definitely going with Mill creek as I want Berserk even more and Shout extras are nice but I rarely have time to watch them and they put Shout discs out of my price range. I always have a cart full of Shout discs waiting for them to drop below $20.00 but they rarely do. They usually remain a little above $20 way too much for short B movies for me. Shout should be doing double features too with the prices but they rarely do anymore.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
I'm definitely going with Mill creek as I want Berserk even more and Shout extras are nice but I rarely have time to watch them and they put Shout discs out of my price range. I always have a cart full of Shout discs waiting for them to drop below $20.00 but they rarely do. They usually remain a little above $20 way too much for short B movies for me. Shout should be doing double features too with the prices but they rarely do anymore.
The double feature disc is down to $8.99 at Amazon now.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I had planned to watch Shampoo this afternoon, but my double feature Mill Creek disc of Strait-Jacket/Berserk arrived, and I had to see Berserk after such a long withdrawal from it.

It looked surprisingly good. For such a cheap price, I pretty much expected a transfer riddled with dirt and dust specks, but it was in good shape. In high definition, it's even clearer how ill-suited Joan was with Ty Hardin (grandmother and son maybe). But the movie with its long stretches of animal circus acts in between the murders and investigation still entertains.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Yes, Matt. I concur with your assessment of the sterling quality of the master on STRAIT-JACKET on the Mill Creel disc. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the same master that was used for the much pricier Shout Factory Blu-Ray. The photography is by a certain Arthur Arling ASC, who won an Oscar for Technicolor cinematography on THE YEARLING, and was also nominated for black & white cinematography for I'LL CRY TOMORROW.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, Matt. I concur with your assessment of the sterling quality of the master on STRAIT-JACKET on the Mill Creel disc.
I was actually talking about Berserk, but I watched Strait-Jacket today, and it is good or better than Berserk picture-quality wise. I've always found S-J to be really wacky especially the part when Joan in her new wig and slinky dress comes on to her daughter's fiancé. I have always felt deeply embarrassed for Joan in this scene because her transformation from mouse to minx is so abrupt and completely unbelievable.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I was actually talking about Berserk, but I watched Strait-Jacket today, and it is good or better than Berserk picture-quality wise. I've always found S-J to be really wacky especially the part when Joan in her new wig and slinky dress comes on to her daughter's fiancé. I have always felt deeply embarrassed for Joan in this scene because her transformation from mouse to minx is so abrupt and completely unbelievable.
I thought STRAIGHT-JACKET's master was preferable to BERSERK, which is very clean but I found the color a little bit on the muddy side. Watching STRAIGHT-JACKET, one's sense of embarrassment for Miss Crawford is tempered by a feeling of horror--a different kind of horror than William Castle was aiming for, I think--by her total exhibitionism and hunger in trying to make every facet of the film about her to the extent that the actual plot, as well as the whys and wherefores of character, are completely obscured. It's an amazing performance, though not especially well-crafted or good. Through it all, Arthur Arling's cinematography never falters, and though focusing on lighting in a late Joan Crawford film might be considered abberant, for me it's the best thing about the disc. Actually, I felt more emphathy for Diane Baker than Miss Crawford. Believe it or not, this is the first time I have seen STRAIGHT-JACKET, and now at least I understand all the references in PSYCHO BEACH PARTY (the Off-Broadway play, not the movie.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MBH
Recent bookmarks