Straight Edge for Circular Saw

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JustinSC, Jun 4, 2003.

1. JustinSC

JustinSC Extra

I've read about the straight edge for the circular saw and was wondering what I should get? I'm trying to start my tool collection.

2. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

3. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

A sawboard is really handy. In fact, several are even handier. Make one for 8' rips, one for 4' crosscuts and a 2' for smaller cuts. Best to make them a little longer than the finished cut has to be so the saws plate has some support before the cut. Also, make the guide board wide enough to accept clamps and still have the saws motor pass over it.

Works for routers, too.

Pete

4. Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts Second Unit

Jim and Pete are spot-on. The saw board is the way to go. All you need is a sawboard and a good square.

5. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

Or This Its pricy but has almost all the variables taken out of it, (getting it perfectly square is the only chalange) there are also 2 and 8 foot lenghts. But you have to buy and additional base that the circular saw is attached too, or router.

I plan on picking up the 4 footer and the router base when i build my next set of speakers and Rackmount system. I tried using the saw board thingy but it there are to many variables, the saw could slip, off the guide or you could jump it.

Seeing that the base plate has a T slot that fits in the guide there is nothing to worry abou. you could use it with one hand, blind singing the star spangle banner (i don't recomend this) and you will get a prefrect cut each time.

As for getting a prefect 90, people have added a pice of MDF at one of the ends as a sort of guide to the guide.

BTW you guys think its cool to use a router to rip stuff down? or would a circular saw be better, because i would rather snag a nice porter cable router that will do all my jobs, then two tools.

6. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    A router would take longer because you would need to make multiple passes with 3/4" MDF. YOu will also put quite a bit of wear on those router bits which are very expensive. It would probably be much cheaper in the long run (and faster) to get a circular saw.

7. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

I disagree. The motto is: It's best to have the right tool for the job.
    Trying to have the fewest tools to perform multiple jobs will likely cost you more in the long run, be less effecient and therefore waste some of your time, and perhaps result in work quality that is less than you expect.
    My opinion.

8. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Home Depot sells a 8.5ft aluminum straight edge for this exact purpose (it is 2 4ft pieces with a connector). I've used this to saw down large sheet goods and it works very well. It's called the "Pro's Edge Cutting guide" and sells for $16. The included clamps aren't great so plan on using two others to hold the edge to the workpiece. Deflection when sawing is minimal.

9. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

The sawboard looks great. It looks like the only critical part is making sure that one edge of the ripper guide (the edge the saw follows) is perfectly straight. Otherwise, I suppose you could make exact replicas of a crooked edge.

10. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

Okay then looks like i need to add to the list of tools i need to pick up [​IMG]

11. James Mudler

James Mudler Stunt Coordinator

12. JustinSC

JustinSC Extra