What's new

STR-DE675/STR-DE875 Question..... (1 Viewer)

Neil White

Supporting Actor
I need a relatively cheap receiver to sit in my family room set-up and for powering stereo outdoor speakers. I want a receiver with A/B speaker switching. Ideally, I want to be able to choose A or B or both sets. Do either of the above Sony receivers have this? Sony's Website says nothing and I haven't been able to find out elsewhere yet.

Thanks

N

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
From the looks of it, on Crutchfield, they both have A-B main capability.

However, I would recommend you not waste your time with the DE series of Sony. The amps are weak, and the sound processing is not up to par. In the same price range you can do much better with a reciever from other manufacturers.

I would strongly recommend the Marantz SR4200 or 5200, Denon 1602 or 1802 or the Onkyo TX-DS494 or -595. The only problem is, I do not know if any of these has A-B capability. I own a Marantz 6200, and it does not have this capability (but I didn't need it either). Good luck.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
my Onkyo 595 has A-B speaker outputs.

i completely agree with John here-- Sony DE- model receivers are a complete waste of money. generally, the only decent Sony products are the ones in their ES line. stay away from everything else. good luck!

Lee Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Lee Bailey
I have to disagree on the DE line. They work very well, and have a lot of nice features, especially in the 875. I've had my STR-845 for about 2 years now, and it performs flawlessly. There seems to be a high bias here against the DE series, for what reason I do not know.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As a former owner of a few of the DE receivers, all I have to say is LISTEN to ANY of the receivers listed and you will understand. Everything has a frame of reference. Do they work? Yes. But they are easily outdone by others in the same price category, with the weakest point being the amps. This is not a bias, this is a fact. I'm not knocking Sony, as some of my other gear is Sony and the ES receivers are not bad at all.

Keith Shaw

Agent
If you're just interested in cheap A/B receiver but don't care about much else, I picked up the DE185 during a Best Buy open item sale for like $90 OTD. I'm using it in my office at work with a 5 disc changer and some dinky speakers :)
No comment on the performance of this or other DE models, but it sure was cheap.

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
Both receivers you asked about should have A/B switching. I recommend looking for a DB series however.
DE=low end, lower price
DB=some ES components, better build, medium price
ES=high end, better everything, higher price
I have a 2 DB-930s (my friend also has 1) and prefer it over EVERYTHING I've listend to. It's a couple years old, but puts out 110x5 clear as a bell. Real easy to tweak also. I'm not possitive, but I think the DB serise is now the QS series? Anyway, contact www.onecall.com and they can probably give you more info on the differences. They had the best prices I could find when I bought my gear. They also had the best service I've ever seen.

Users who are viewing this thread