What's new

STR-DA777ES not powering on? (1 Viewer)

Westly T

Second Unit
Recently my STR-DA777ES has been failing to turn on. It works perfectly once powered on by the button on it's face and sometimes by remote. I tried the original remote and my pronto. It makes no difference what remote, when it refuses to turn on, only the power button on the face will work. Have others had this problem? I hate to send it in for repair but it should still be under the ES warranty.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Wes- I have the same receiver but not your problem. It sounds as though your remote codes have become corrupted. Is it just power on/off or do you have other problems? Before you send it away, there are a couple of things I would try first. One- A complete reset and Two- A software upgrade re-install if you have one. I have no reason for these suggestions except that it is something easy to do and therefore worth a try. If no results then a call to Sony for some tech help and possibly an answer. Good Luck, Jack

Westly T

Second Unit
On this receiver, when it gets a signal for an input, it power on set to that input. If you select DVD and the unit is off, it powers on and is set to the DVD input. If you press CD, then it powers on and is set to CD. It has no "ON" button on the remote.

My receiver switches between sources perfectly, but intermittently won't power on. It makes no difference what source you select or what remote you use, so I don't know how any corruption could affect all input sources for power on but not source selection when it's on.

Still you made some good points and I'm hoping the reset or firmware upgrade will solve this issue. I've downloaded some of the updates, but never installed them. I was thinking it was best to leave well enough alone since everything was working perfectly, but since it's not now it sounds like a good idea.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Wes- As I remember it, the green button on top of the remote can be set for on and off. If you have the remote manual, look for this setting. It's probably within the set-up function on the remote. Don't know if it would make any difference, but I think I would still try to set it up this way to see if it did make a difference. Hopefully the problem your having is a simple fix and maybe with a little luck we can figure it out or at least correct it. Sending the receiver away brings on apprehensions not to mention having to do without for a few weeks. Scan the remote manual for further clues and again , Good luck. Jack

Westly T

Second Unit
Thanks, last night it worked perfectly so I'm waiting for it to act up again before I do anything.

*** Update, It's still not acted up again. The only change I made was I installed a thermostat controlled fan system that keeps the equipment in the closet cool even when it's off. Before the fans only came on when the unit was on. Perhaps it was just getting too warm from the heat for transformers and such in the cabinet??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks