STR-DA5ES and Component Video Switching

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by matt keffer, Apr 27, 2002.

1. matt keffer

matt keffer Auditioning

Greetings All,

I'm brand new as a member of the forum, but have been reading posts for a little while now. Last week I purchased a Sony DA5ES and a Toshiba 4700 DVD player (partly due to the wonderful feedback from this very forum!), and love both units. I've recently noticed something that has me a little concerned about the receiver, and want to know if anyone else has noticed the same thing, or if I'm over-reacting.

I've connected the DVD player, a Playstation 2 and a 5.1 RCA DirecTV receiver to the DA5ES, and everything is fine for the PS2 and the DSS receiver. I am, however, noticing some degradation with the DVD. I'm getting some "waviness" in the signal, which is especially noticeable when a movie is paused or the wallpaper is displayed. I've got everything connected with S-Video cables, and I've tried all of the "obvious" fixes (i.e. swapping out cables, running the DVD into other source inputs, disconnecting all sources except the DVD, trying different DVDs, etc.) and am getting the same results. When I bypass the receiver and go straight from DVD to TV, the signal is perfect (without the waves).

The picture is not unbearable, but I'm wondering if some signal loss is to be expected, or if there might be something wrong with the receiver. Like I said, the DSS and the PS2 look perfect. Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Have you tried the DVP through the same inputs that the PS2 is connected? Since the PS2 is perfect ,the Toshiba should also be perfect. If not, I would suspect the DVDP as the problem. If you really like this player, I'd swap it out for another of the same model and try again. If you still have problems, it might be best to change brands entirely. Since your receiver is a Sony, a Sony DVDP may be your best choice.

3. matt keffer

matt keffer Auditioning

Thanks for the quick reply, Jack. I thought the same thing, except that if I connect the Toshiba DVD player directly to the TV, the quality is perfect. It's only when I send it through the DA5ES that the signal is degraded, thus I suspected the receiver as having the problem. I also plugged my old DVD player (a Panasonic) into the DA5ES and had the same concern as with the Toshiba 4700. Does that make sense?

4. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Don't know Matt, I guess it could be as simple as an incompatibility problem between the players and the receiver or it could be a problem with either. The thing that nags me though is your ability to play the PS2 without any problems. If your happy with the Toshiba, why not just run the video straight to the TV, this is the way most people connect anyway. If you bought your player locally, why not try an exchange?

5. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Matt, something must be wrong with the DA5ES. I have my Tosh 2800 going through s vid without any problems. I did an A/B comparison whenI first got it(svid to dvd player vs receiver ) and found no difference. In the setup menu, do you have dig video off(I think this is fact preset)?

Try switching imputs to rule out imput vrs dvd player.

6. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

If I rember right I beleve the DA5ES recevers were known to have a problem on the S-video. Dont hold me to it but I'm pretty sure there was a post here before about that a couple mounths back.

7. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

That was a TV problem on that old post, plus svhs works fine for him. I would do what they said and try different inputs. If it doesn't work on the other set and the other equipment does, it's a dvd player problem. Check all your inputs and cables.