What's new

STR-DA555ES PROBLEM - first post (1 Viewer)

David C

Auditioning
I've had my Sony STR-DA555ES receiver now for about two years and the other day it died on me. I was listening to music for about 2 hours at a pretty loud level and then turned it off and went to bed. Two days later I went to turn it on and it powered up but the display would not light and there was no sound. I tried unplugging everything and letting it sit for a couple of hours as recommended on the Sony troubleshooting website but it did not help. Anybody else ever have this problem? Any ideas what might have broke and how much it would be to fix it? I only used it maybe 2 - 3 times a week the whole time I had it. Thanks.

Joe Casey

Stunt Coordinator
If you are the original purchaser of the unit and have the receipt, it shouldn't cost you a dime. The ES models all carry a 5 year warranty in the US (3 years in Canada). I had the TA-E9000ES that died similar to what you are describing, and had it fixed without a problem. Either contact your dealer, or Sony service directly, and they will tell you where to send/bring it.
------------------
Q

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I had a similar problem with the DA50ES (the model which preceeded the 555ES). The problem turned out to be a blown fuse. Since the ES receivers come with a 5 year warranty, the repair should be free.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 4

I too had a similar problem three (3) times with my Sony DA50ES. Blown fuses all three times and fixed under warranty. It didn't die during loud music but when I would power it up. A bright, blue flash from inside the receiver and then nothing but the LED on the volume knob would light up.
Last time I had it in to Sony, they replaced some boards and I think a power supply along with the fuses.
[Edited last by Michael Knieriemen on October 04, 2001 at 08:37 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks