What's new

STR-DA4ES - Need Service? (1 Viewer)

Matt Orlando

Auditioning
Up until recently, I didn't notice any problems with my wonderful Sony STR-DA4ES receiver, that is until I opened up and watched "The Rundown" earlier in the week in DD 5.1. During certain parts of the film, the sound level would noticabley decrease, and then return to the normal level again. One specific part I noticed was between 131 minutes and 47 secs and 132 minutes and 01 seconds. It seems almost like the volume was turned down, and then turned back up.

I thought it was the DVD, so I got it replaced, twice from different stores and got the same thing. I tried the DVD in different DVD players connected to the 4ES and got the same result. I tried both optical and coax, and got the same result. I then decided to try another movie to see if the same thing was occurring. I put in the Mummy Returns (DD 5.1), and for example, between 11:35 and 12:25, the sound lowered. My best guess is that it has a problem with decoding DD 5.1, as I haven't noticed anything with DTS or Pro Logic as of yet.

It seems that it is the receiver, but before I take it in for repair, is there anything else that I could be forgetting to test? Speaker connections seem good, and if it was the speaker connections I would think that the problem wouldn't occur at the same time every time through different players.

Please help!

Shiu

Second Unit
I doubt you will find too many 4ES owners here. You have already tried the same DVD on different DVD players, the next test could be to try it on a different receiver. If the other receiver does not show the same problem then you should bring the 4ES in for service. If the sound went completely quiet for a short moment, it could be the DVD changing layer but that should only happen nearer to the end of a long movie.

Chris Grillo

Stunt Coordinator
Matt Orlando,

I have the Da4es and I love this thing! I don't have the movie The Rundown but I have never had any sound problems with this unit!I would also suggest taking the movie to a friends house and going to the same spot on the dvd and trying it! if it still does it then you know it's not your unit. Good luck and if I get the movie I will let you know if mine does it also!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks