What's new

STR-DA4ES and Bass Management (1 Viewer)

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
I was just reading the description of the 4ES at Oade Brothers, and it mentions "Analog Bass Management". Am I to assume that this means that it will do bass management on the analog 5.1/7.1 inputs (without digitizing the signal)? This is exactly what is needed for DVD-Audio and SACD! My SACD player (SCD-CE775) has bass management implemented in bitstream DSP, but I have yet to find an affordable DVD-Audio player with bass management of any kind! This is keeping me from buying a DVD-Audio player, and it's driving me nuts. Can anyone who has a 4ES elaborate on the bass management of the receiver (i.e. what does the manual say, and what can you tell me from actual experience/experimentation)? Thanks!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
(For the 3ES): Bass management is handled at the speaker setting level. Eeach speaker has not only a large/small config, but is independently x-over adjustable, with the low pass being sent to the sub. I can't say for sure this applies to the analog multi-channel inputs as well, because the system I setup with the 3ES was not using them.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
I know that on my DA5ES, when you are in analog 2 channel or multi, there is NO other operating functions on the receiver other than volume and display. The DA5ES shuts off all other audio and video circuitry automatically for full analog bypass. The DA5ES acts as an amp for your source. Thus I am confused as to how and why I have read that the DA5ES has great bass management for "hi-rez" playback. On redbook cd, the individual speaker adjustments and crossover settings give you alot of tweak-ability but for analog inputs this does not apply.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Aaron,
This is the first I have heard that the DA4ES has Analog Bass Management. If at least the high pass to the mains is analog then I want one!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I know that on my DA5ES, when you are in analog 2 channel or multi, there is NO other operating functions on the receiver other than volume and display
I thought this could be turned on an off, at least for the stereo analog inputs.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Analog bypass is a mode that must be chosen for stereo inputs. Otherwise, full bass management will be applied.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks