What's new

STR-DA3200ES / I must be getting old (1 Viewer)

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
As I get older my needs change along with my pocket book. I have had an audio/video sound system since my first TV when I had to mount a headphone jack on the side for audio to go to my preamp. That was in the late 60s.

At one point in my life I had as much as 100 grand in my audio system and as little as a car radio mounted in a box sitting on the kitchen table.

Around the time 5.1 or Dolby AC-3 came out I was using a decent Rotel system with a Marantz AV9000 Preamp along with 5 Super Ones from NHT. Sub was a JBL B460 and a B380 driven by 2 Adcom GFA565s. Sound was great.

Then came 7.1.. . Plus the fact that I don't have the money I once had for a big system so along came receivers.

My first was a Pioneer Elite VSX45TX. . .Not bad but for one reason or the other I went through a few Denons (2806/3806) a few HKs (240/635) a few low line Pioneers (1014/1015) and a couple Yamahas (5890/5940) until now and my Sony STR-DA3200ES.

I have a need now for HDMI. . .My TV (Sony 55wf655) my cable box /DVR(Explorer 8300hd) and my Panasonic DVD Player (77) also HDMI.

So this year I decided to give the 3200ES Sony a try and so far with only audio connected am I glad I did. I was starting to get jaded thinking all receivers sounded alike the only differences being features but this little Sony is one awesome piece sound wise in my house at least.

My speakers are 35 year old MINT Pioneer CS-99As that for one thing are absolutely gorgeous pieces of furniture that once you pull the low bass off of them also sound incredible. . .

Oh. . .btw for bass I bought a new PC2039Plus. . .I have owned the Plus2 and the ISD2 but my needs have changed and I wanted that 12.3 driver at least. . .

My point. . .in all this rambling. . .For the first time in my life I studied long and hard and bought what I felt was the minimum that would get the job done in my house and for once I am thrilled rather than just pleased. . .

Next weekend. . .the video portion. . .we will see if I remain thrilled. . . I had the cable man (a level 2 tech) over yesterday to discuss my plans and I think we have a workable one that as time goes by I'll post my results. . .

But for now. . .WOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Wow Guy you've owned alot of equipment over the years.

I'm on my 4th HT receiver and all I can say is that they just keep getting better every year. I started off with a low end Sony back in 1998 (replaced an old Pioneer reciever), I can't even remember the model number it was so long ago, but at the time it was one of the few low end receivers that had an onboard DD decoder. A few years later Sony released the flagship STRDA777ES and I was very pleased with it although I always felt it sounded just a little bright with my Paradigm speakers. After the Sony I purchased my current B&K receiver. I've had my 507 now for about three years and I love it. The sounds matches well with my Paradigms and in comparison to my previous Sony the B&K sounds like it has more punch. I may be in the upgrade boat again real soon though since my B&K doesn't support the latest and greatest technology. Perhaps it's time I give Sony another listen? Thanks for the post and let us know how the video looks through the Sony.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
My problem is my job. . .They have moved me all over the country. Each move I either leave something, sell something or give something away. Would be nice to stay with something therby letting me get exactly what I want one piece at a time. The way it is now ever so often I replace everything where it might be nice one piece at a time.

We will be another 3 or 4 years until I retire then who knows where my priorities will be. . .

The one thing I have learned over time is that at each price point there ain't alot of difference except features in any of this gear. I'd love to get up into the Anthem 50 etc territory but for the moment this is kinda fun making chicken salad out of chicken. . .you know what. . . That's the hard part. . .making your little meager system think it is better than it should be.

Truth its all pretty darn good once setup properly.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
It's been a few weeks now. . .still running her like I did all the rest. . .no video hook up just yet. . .

I'm having too much fun just the way it is. . .I said earlier that in my mind there was not a nickle's worth of difference audio wise in any of these receivers. . .

Well. . .I was wrong. . .This Sony is wonderful. . .the little things like the blue bar, staying on the mode (DPLIIx) you put it on etc. etc. . .

It's how it sounds running my big old vintage Pioneer speakers that impresses me most. I love how this Sony sounds not to mention how stout this thing is. . . Even FM radio is great, all the dig audio on cable is great but it's how she does movie sound tracks that I like most. . .

I've had the Denons, HK, Yamahas, ELite Pioneers etc and this little underrated Sony kills them. . .Not just better but a lot better. . .

Like I said its the little things. . .I'll get the video right this weekend. . .

I promise. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks