Str-DA2ES

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Billy Posey, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Billy Posey

Billy Posey Second Unit

I am new Owner of a of a 2es receiver and I have a few questions.
    First setting up the speaker levels with a radio shack level meter. I have in the past owned mostly THX equipment which automatically turns the main volume when turning on the test tone, and I would begin selecting my settings from that point. This reciever doesn't do that and it feels like I am setting up with my eyes blind folded. Any helpful tips out there that one may have on this matter.

Secondly set my cd input for pro logic II for music and then set my normal satellite viewing for pro logic II movie. But when I went back to my cd input in was set up for dplII movie instead of dplII music like I had it before. Does this mean this is a blanket coverage mode where I am not allowed to have dplII settings for Movies and music separately.

lastley, The eq settings, how does this work. what am I actually manipulating. for example Front bass. I can change the frequency between 99-250. and I can affect the gain. But what is acutally changing here. It's not like I can change the the gain for each freaquency interval. Does it mean that if I adjust the frequency to say, 122 mhz and the gain to -2.5 then the frequency point is what is boosted or cut.

thanks for the help

2. Billy Posey

Billy Posey Second Unit

hello anyone?

3. Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Second Unit

Lee Bailey
    Did you set the Sound Field Link option to on? This should keep the DPLII modes correct when switching input devices.

As for the SPL setting, you'll need your remote of course, and your meter. Just hit the tone button, and it should start with a tone coming from the front speaker. Adjust the Master Volume now. When that's set to what level you want, say 70db, then wait for the tone to move to the center channel, and adjust only the center channel volume using either the remote(if it has that adjustment) or using the front panel of the receiver. Do the same for the remaining channels, just don't touch the Master Volume knob. If the volume of the right front speaker is different than the left, then you have to use the balance control to even it out.

I would heartily recommend you use a test DVD, such as Avia or Video Essentials to set up your volume levels, instead of your receiver's internal tone generator.

As for the equalizer, you can only adjust the one frequency you selected in that range of 99 to 250. It is really just a tone control with an adjustable frequency. The minus numbers would be a cut in the volume of that frequency.

I have the DA1ES, which has the same feature for the EQ. Why sony thinks that the Bass frequencies start at 100Hz is beyond me. Being that this is a digital equalizer, it should go down to 20Hz in my opinion.

I hope this answers your questions.

4. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

1. Huh? I turn on the test tone, set the balance on the front so the mains are balanced, move to the center and set the gain to match the fronts, etc until all channels are balanced. The volume is just a number to me.

2. Yes, the "Normal Surround" setting is blanket for all inputs [​IMG]

3. If you set the gain to -2.5dB and the frequency to 250Hz on the bass EQ, then frequencies below 250Hz (it's not a brickwall filter but 12dB/octave, I think) will be attenuated by 2.5dB

5. Billy Posey

Billy Posey Second Unit

6. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I saw the remote that comes with the DA2ES on a cheaper(less than half the price) Sony at Best Buy[​IMG] I think Sony should put a different remote with the DA1/2ES.

7. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

Our version of the DA2ES (DB-1080) has the same remote as the 4ES. Your 2ES remote seems the same as the one for the STR-DE685!!

I set the volume so the fronts are playing at 75dB and then calibrate all the other speakers to that - I don't worry about what the volume setting is to get this level.