str-da2es = str-db1070?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Wilcox, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

sound and vision tested the str-db1070 at 31w across all channels. i'm wondering if the new str-da2es uses the amps of the str-db1070 or if it uses higher quality amps like the rest of the ES family. (Home Theater Magazine tested the str-da3es at 105.5w across all channels)

2. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

I would think that the 2ES would use better amps an maybe even use the amps from the 3ES, but at the moment there is no way of telling that I know of. It would be a shame to use such weak amps in the ES line.

3. John Parris

John Parris Stunt Coordinator

I would think that surely they use better amps in the 2ES... Sony's ES line recievers are pretty solid stuff (much UNLIKE thier lower end recievers), and I dont THINK Sony would risk the ES name on something like that.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jason, Jim Oade of Oade Bros. told me a few weeks ago that the 'DA1ES would replace the 'DB1070. Both the 'DA1ES and 'DA2ES look more like DB receivers than ES models from pictures on Crutchfield's web site. However, because the new models carry the ES badge, I would hope they would be built better, especially on the inside, than the previous DB models. That said, the 'DA1ES and 'DA2ES are priced in the range of the older DB models, so I figure some compromises will have been made relative to the 'DA4ES and 'DA7ES. For example, I can't imagine that the 'DA1ES at $500 is going to much like the $1000 'DA4ES under the hood. The 'DA2ES will probably be lacking in some respects as well.

5. Jason Wilcox

just looking at the specs.....the str-db1070 is claimed to have 100wx6 at .09% THD. the str-da2es is claimed to have 100wx6 with .09% THD as well. then the str-da5es, 4es, and 7es are rated at .05% THD. it looks as though the 2es has the amps of the DB series...or at least lesser amps than the models above it.

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jason, you could very well be right. The DB receivers have always had a THD rating of 0.09%, as I recall. The ES models released in the past three years have had a THD of 0.05%. I'm not sure about older ES models. Anyway, it would not surprise me if the 'DA4ES and 'DA7ES have better amps than the 'DA1ES and 'DA2ES. Hopefully we will see some bench tests for some of these models in magazines soon to prove the point one way or the other.

7. Jason Wilcox

the crutchfield mag also notes the 4es and 7es as having better heat sinks than the 2es.

guess the 2es was just too good to be true. looks like i might be going with H/K.

any word on a new outlaw audio receiver?

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jason, I have heard nothing about a new Outlaw receiver, but I don't follow developments with Outlaw. Regarding the 'DA2ES, if it is in your price range, I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. While I am sure Sony has cut some corners in its design relative to the 'DA4ES and 'DA7ES, the 'DA2ES may be an improvement over the previous 'DB1070. Perhaps Sony learned the error in its ways in designing the amp section of the 'DB1070, so to speak, and has applied what it has learned to the design of the 'DA2ES. [​IMG]

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I just noticed something on Crutchfield's web site that bothers me about Sony's new receivers. Both the 'DE985 and 'DA1ES sell for $500. It's amazing to see an ES receiver selling for the same price as a DE model. I wonder if there is any difference in performance between the two. This could be a bit of sneaky marketing on the part of Sony in that a lot of stores are unlikely to carry both models. So, someone buying the 'DE985 at Sears, Circuit City, or the like, is likely to be unaware that an ES model with a five-year warranty is available for the same price. Likewise, someone buying the 'DA1ES at a slighly upper-scale dealer might be unaware that a DE model with just a one-year warranty is available for the same price. Brick-and-mortar stores hopefully are smart enough not to carry both models. Crutchfield has both, and I wonder if someone there is asking, "Why do we carry both?". [​IMG]

10. Jason Wilcox

the 1es is a 5 channel receiver while the de985 is 6 channel.

11. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

The STR-DA1ES is same as the STR-DB780 which replaces the STR-DB870.
    The STR-DA2ES is same as the STR-DB1080 which replaces the STR-DB1070.

They are given the ES designation in Nth America and the DB (QS) designation elsewhere.

12. Jason Wilcox

thanks craig

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jason,

Thanks for the info. Frankly, I didn't research the 'DE985 much. I still wonder if there is a significant difference in performance between the two.

Craig,

Thanks for coming through with that information. I should have mentioned it in an earlier post.

14. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

I just wish Sony would use a consistent naming scheme worldwide. Then again, they're not alone with this.
    As you mentioned in another thread, Keith, the ES classification does give the benefit of a 5 year warranty [​IMG] (although that doesn't seem to have helped much with your 444ES [​IMG]).