What's new

Storylines that begin on one show and end on another (1 Viewer)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Characters appearing on one show to promote another from the same producers on the same network goes back to 1960s, beginning with The Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction.

It was also TBH that pioneered the multi-story arc concept, even though it was a sitcom. A good example of this is the 5-part story in which the Clampetts buy a castle in England, before returning to Beverly Hills where Jethro runs through the woods dressed as Robin Hood! There were a number of others such as when Jed bought a movie studio in 1964, and the women's lib storyline in 1971 when Granny, Ellie May, Jane Hathaway and other women go on strike!

The Man from U.N.C.L.E.'s second season introduced agents April Dancer and her partner Mark Slate, as played by Mary Ann Mobley and Norman Fell in "The Moonglow Affair". Next year The Girl from U.N.C.L.E. series premiered with Stefanie Powers and Noel Harrison as April and Mark.

On the original series, in one episode "The Galatea Affair" guest-starring Joan Collins in two roles and Harrison, Mark Slate teamed up with Ilya Kuryakin in that story. Napoleon Solo wasn't seen until the end when he walks into Mr. Waverly's office with his arm in a sling, since Solo had been injured on an another assignment.

Meanwhile, in one of the funniest episodes of the spinoff series "The Mother Muffin Affair", 79 year-old Boris Karloff appeared in drag as the villianous Mother Muffin! Robert Vaughn guest-starred as Napoleon Solo, helping April on her latest case. None of these were crossovers, however. Now if only both U.N.C.L.E. series would be released on DVD!! 46 of The Man from U.N.C.L.E.'s 104 episodes were released on 23 VHS tapes back in the 1990s, and back in New Jersey I have most of them in cold storage.

While on break from filming The Man from U.N.C.L.E. a year later, Robert Vaughn played a former CIA agent in a movie ironically called "The Venetian Affair". Frequent U.N.C.L.E. hottie Luciana Paluzzi co-starred along with Boris Karloff.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Jeff, it's almost as if you completely overlooked the part where I desribe what I say is the only true cross-over on DVD (Magnum/S&S), then I go on to say, "Close to that situation, but not quite, is the upcoming set for The Lone Gunmen. They were an X-Files spin-off..."

And you even quoted the part where I say "Sort of a crossover, but not really." I think we're on the same page here! :laugh:

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
A crossover earlier than the Hillbillies: the characters of the Danny Thomas show once visited the Ricardos and the Mertzes on the Lucy/Desi Comedy Hour.

Really fun site exploring crossovers:

http://www.poobala.com/crossoverlist.html[/url]

He tracks crossovers and lists what series share realities with each other due to them. Like a family tree, you'll be amazed who/what is related, no matter how many times removed.

He's listed 37 groups of series that are related. Group 2 lists 82 series! Who knew "It's Gary Shandling's Show" shared a universe with "Oz"? Fun stuff.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Actually, for anyone into crossovers, "The Six Degrees of St. Elsewhere" is a must-read. It demonstrates, in the words of the writer, that, "The last five minutes of St. Elsewhere is the only television show, ever. Everything else is a daydream." There's a St. Elsewhere spoiler in there, though, so be warned. :)

Jon_Gu

Stunt Coordinator
I know there can be problems cross-licensing a cross-over like the Pretender/Profiler episodes, but it looks to me like great advertising.

Seeing the characters from another show might interest me enough to purchase a season of the other show on DVD, or remind me how much I liked another show (especially the older shows), and encourage me to make an additional purchase.

I realize I'm not a huge consumer of TV on DVD, but I purchase MANY more TV DVD's than movie DVD's, and my purchases usually average out to 2, maybe 3, seasons per week.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
The St Elsewhere thing is a classic.

Of the shows that never existed and were only a daydream, we have:

AFTERMASH
The Andy Griffith Show
The Beat
Becker
Beverly Hills Buntz
Bob
The Bob Newhart Show
Buddies
Can't Hurry Love
Caroline In The City
Cheers
Chicago Hope
Civil Wars
Coach
Cop Rock
COPS
Cosby
The Danny Thomas Show
The Dick Van Dyke Show
The Drew Carey Show
Early Edition
Ellen
Everybody Loves Raymond
The Famous Teddy Z
Frasier
Friends
The Geena Davis Show
Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.
Grace Under Fire
High Society
Hill Street Blues
Home Improvement
Homicide: Life On The Street
Hope And Gloria
I Dream Of Jeannie
I Love Lucy
Ink
It's Gary Shandling's Show
Joey
The Joey Bishop Show
The John Larroquette Show
The King Of Queens
L.A. Law
Law And Order
Law And Order: Criminal Intent
Law And Order: Special Victims Unit
Law And Order: Trial By Jury
The Lone Gunmen
Love And War
Mad About You
Make Room For Daddy
Make Room For Granddaddy
Martial Law
M*A*S*H
Mayberry R.F.D.
Millennium
Murphy Brown
N.Y.P.D. Blue
The Nanny
New York Undercover
Newhart
Nick And Hillary
Norm/The Norm Show
Oz
Picket Fences
Private Secretary
Public Morals
St. Elsewhere
Seinfeld
The Single Guy
Sons Of Thunder
Soul Man
Strange Luck
Tattingers
These Friends Of Mine
Thunder Alley
The Tortellis
Trapper John, M.D.
Walker, Texas Ranger
The White Shadow
Wings
The X-Files

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

Actually, I Love Lucy was well ahead of TBH in this regard. Their California vacation started midway through the fourth season, and ended a few episodes into the fifth! It's really pretty stunning to watch when you realize they came up with this idea in 1955.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
There were numerous episodes of SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN and BIONIC WOMAN that crossed over with each other.

The first 2 appearances of Jaime Sommers aired on SMDM as "The Bionic Woman" (season 2) and "The Return of the Bionic Woman" (season 3).

The 2-part 3rd season episode of SMDM, "Welcome Home, Jaime", served as a backdoor pilot for TBW,with part 1 airing on SMDM and part 2 airing as the first episode of TBW. In syndication, both parts air as TBW's first episode.

Part 1 of SMDM's "The Return of Bigfoot" (season 4) concluded on TBW (season 2). In syndication, both parts air as SMDM.

Parts 1 and 3 of "Kill Oscar" aired on TBW (season 2) and Part 2 aired on SMDM (season 4). All 3 parts air in syndication as TBW.

I suspect whenever the shows are released on DVD, they will follow the MAGNUM, PI model and possibly include the respective crossovers as bonus episodes on each series' set. Or they will include them as they do it in syndication.

Of course, this may be moot, as we have yet to get any announcement from Universal on these 2 shows, despite hints that they would be coming soon. Legal entanglements were to blame, supposedly, for SMDM; not sure about TBW.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Characters from "Petticoat Junction" appeared on "Green Acres" (and vice versa) often. The character of Sam Drucker was a regular in both series! Later on, they brought "The Beverly Hillbillies" into the mix.

I think the first "Petticoat Junction/Beverly Hillbillies" cross over with Granny going to Hooterville to look after a baby was started on one show and concluded on the other; and the story is split in syndication as well.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
In the "The Pretender on DVD" thread, I mentioned that a few nights ago, the first Pretender/Profiler crossover episode aired and it seemed to end nicely with no "To Be Continued..." at the end.

Someone replied and said Fox aired it with an alternate ending to wrap it up in one episode! So in response to Gord's post on Page 1, this is very clever (if not sneaky). So I guess when Season 3 comes out on DVD, it will have this standalone episode without the Profiler episode on it. Same must go for Season 4's crossover.
-

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I think it's the perfect opportunity for A&E to release "Profiler: The Crossover Episodes" on DVD and try to capitalize on the Pretender fans who want to finish the story... assuming Fox puts the original on there.

Gord

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks