Storylines that begin on one show and end on another

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by AnnaMaria, Feb 23, 2005.

1. AnnaMaria

AnnaMaria Stunt Coordinator

The other night I watched the Third Watch/Medical Investigation shows with the shared storyline.

This has been done before with other TV shows where a story starts on one show and finishes on another.

I belive this happened with Murder She Wrote and Magnum PI. And I vaguely remember others.

There was also a night on NBC when their characters from shows set in New York overlapped on to other shows.

I wonder how this will be dealt with on DVD seasons. Will they just not finish the storylines? Will they include a bonus show from a different series?

It's not nice to start a story (especially a whodunit) and leave people hanging.

2. Roger_R

Roger_R Second Unit

I hate this. In Norway TV-channels usually buy one of the shows and we end up with a cliffhanger that we never see a resolution to unless we the get second part by other means. It's also difficult to know which show contains the second part if you're not familiar with both shows.
    When it comes to DVDs, I've seen both things happening.
    The Profiler DVD sets didn't contain the Pretender episode which it shared a storyline with.
    The R2 release of Millennium season 3 contains the X-files episode "Millennium" where Mulder & Scully meet Frank Black.

3. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

I'm also thinking that it happened with Magnum, P.I. and Simon & Simon as well. When the latter series finally does come to DVD, it'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

The answer, as always, is: it depends.

For some shows, like Buffy and Angel, both shows are owned by the same company. So you can put the crossover episodes onto the set if you want to. But Fox didn't do that. The took the alternate route of keeping each show's episodes strictly on their own box sets, but making sure the seasons were released close enough to each other as needed so the fans could sync up crossovers on their own.

I imagine Universal will do similar things with Six Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman, given that we've heard both shows are coming to DVD near to each other.

For other shows, it gets more difficult. Phoeble Buffet of Friends (Warner property) turned out to be the twin sister of waitress Ursula on Mad About You (Sony property). Since both shows aired on NBC's "Must See TV" Thursday night block, the network convinced the shows to do a crossover where MAY characters Jamie and Fran showed on Friends and confused Phoebe as being their regular waitress Ursula, moonlighting at the Central Perk coffeehouse. Because that footage is Warner's, you'll never see it if you only collect Mad About You DVDs (you'd probably not see it anyway, as Sony isn't committing at this time to releasing every MAY episode to DVD).

For the most part, the only true cross-over episode that's been fully brought over to the other show's DVD set is a crossover between Magnum P.I. and Simon & Simon. Both shows' episodes appeared on the Magnum S1 DVD released last year. If any other true crossovers appeared on one DVD, then I can't think of it right now.

Close to that situation, but not quite, is the upcoming set for The Lone Gunmen. They were an X-Files spin-off, they didn't last, and their series was cancelled. Soon after that, X-Files was ending after 9 years, so they decided to wrap up the LG's storyline in an XF episode. That XF ep will be on the LG DVD set. Sort of a crossover, but not really. Same concept, though.

My opinion is that this should be handled like musical duets! "Islands In The Stream" should be found on "The Best of Dolly Parton" and also on "Kenny Rogers' Greatest Hits" (not sure if those are the right album titles, or whether or not the song is on both singers' CDs...but it ought to be!). Do the same with cross-overs: let each DVD set include the other shows' tie-in ep with their release, and both studios win.

Maybe not, though...the studio who is being asked to hand over their ep for the crossover to be put on their competitor's release this year, when that studio doesn't plan to put the same stuff out until next year, they feel like they would be the "loser" in such a deal. That's why they inevitably say "no".

Like crossovers? Click here!

5. Mark To

Mark To Supporting Actor

Well, I don't really know about modern crossovers but Universal handled it by putting the episodes together in 1 package. So the 2 Marcus Welby - Owen Marshall crossovers are syndicated in the Marcus Welby package as OM was never in domestic syndication. The Ironside - Bold Ones crossovers are in the Ironside package. Other crossovers I can recall are Felony Squad and Judd for the Defense. Both ABC shows done by Fox. Also For the People and The Doctors and the Nurses, although neither show is syndicated. Dr. Kildare had a crossover with the Eleventh Hour, both NBC/MGM shows and both episodes stayed in their respective syndication packages.

6. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I remember a Night Court where a hurricane hit New York and it was spread out over three shows I believe that night.

7. MikeAB

MikeAB Extra

This sort of thing happened a few times between Homicide and Law and Order. The first half of the story would be on Law and Order and it would be finished up on Homicide. Since I believe Universal does Law and Order and A&E releases Homicide, they couldn't have the Law and Order episode on the Homicide sets. The Homicide sets had a previously on to explain what happened, or if they didn't they at least had a paragraph saying what happened. Since Law and Order is still a few seasons away from reaching this point (season 6 "Charm City" is the first), it will still be a while before it is seen how that is handled.

8. DavidofLondon

DavidofLondon Stunt Coordinator

Another show with heavy crossover I'd like to see is Mork and Mindy. Loved the first season release and hoping they release seasons 2 and 3. Also hoping the two prequel episodes show up on the later DVD release. Those were originally Happy Days episodes.

But I suppose this is more spin-off rather than crossover territory.

9. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

A&E tried to get the Pretender crossover episodes from Fox for a long time, but Fox wasn't interested in working out a deal. It could have been a simple 1-for-1 deal, since now "The Pretender" is in the same situation. I don't see A&E jumping to license their Profiler episodes to Fox, though I've suggested they release a cheap "cross-over episodes" DVD for people that want to pick it up. Heck, they already have the DVD-Rs for Biography...I wonder if they could do the same with Profiler, or if their contract would forbid that.

Gord

10. ZackR

ZackR Supporting Actor

NBC's Las Vegas and Crossing Jordan recently had a crossover. Started on Sunday evening on Crossing Jordan and ended the next night on Las Vegas. I sometimes enjoy such crossovers, but I do wish it could be worked out that the crossover eps could be included on each other's DVD sets...

11. Sylvia*ST

Sylvia*ST Stunt Coordinator

I'm extremely glad to hear that the Magnum S1 disc includes both the Magnum and Simon & Simon crossover episodes as originally aired, but why do it on this disc? They were from season 3 of Magnum and season 2 of Simon, airing on October 7, 1982.

In both crossovers that Magnum did (the other is with Murder, She Wrote in the 86-87 season, additional footage was shot for the syndication release of each show. The plotlines in the modified shows were usually muddy albeit complete.

As for why these crossovers are on the Magnum S1 disc, I suppose they figured if S1 turned out to be the only DVD, at least they preserved the crossover as originally aired. But then what do they do with the S3 disc? Put them on it again? I hope they do the whole show, and especially the Murder, She Wrote crossover as that show came out very badly in the syndication version and the ending was different.

12. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

It was a bonus! [​IMG]

13. Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke Second Unit

NBC did a blackout night where all their Thursday new york shows Friends, Mad About You and was it Caroline in the City? dealt with an NY blackout. None of the characters crosse dover however and Seinfeld refused to take part (sound like a Larry David decision to me. [​IMG] )

I wouldn't expect to see those on one dvd set.

14. Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver Supporting Actor

I remember on ABC a few years ago they had a crossover with all their TGIF shows. It was Boy Meets World, Sabrina, Teen Angel & You Wish. It had the characters from the previous show crossing over into the next one.

15. Chip_HT

Chip_HT Second Unit

Chip

Because the writers were smart enough to keep each part of the crossovers mostly self contained. In fact, other than the one with Spike in week three, and the big Thanksgiving one, there really are no more official B/A crossovers. The closest was Fool For Love/Darla, with the various flashbacks crossing over.

16. KyleC

KyleC Supporting Actor

The crossover of Ally McBeal and The Practice was a good one.

17. Gregory V

Gregory V Stunt Coordinator

I believe they did occasional overlapping stories between The Golden Girls, Empty Nest and Nurses, who were all from the same production company. One was a hurricane, one a full moon I think.

18. Rob P S

Rob P S Cinematographer

rob
    There was a Happy Days episode about a shotgun wedding that concluded on Laverne & Shirley, an ER episode that concluded on Third Watch, and a hurricane storyline that aired on The Golden Girls, Empty Nest, and Nurses.

19. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

And while we're at it, David Duchovney turned up in a Lone Gunmen episode as Mulder. It's one of 2 I missed at the time it aired.

20. Paul Sandhu

Paul Sandhu Supporting Actor

I remember that night. It started with Sabrina, Salem ate a time ball and he was going through all the shows. Each show had its own decade. Sabrina was in the 60s, Boy Meets World was in 40s, Teen Angel was in 70s and You Wish was in the 50s. Sabrina was in Teen Angel and You Wish looking for Salem (I don't remember if she was in Boy Meets World) and in the end everything went back to normal.