Story About my Introduction to the NEW?? THX Introduction on Episode One

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisA, Oct 17, 2001.

1. ChrisA

ChrisA Second Unit

Hi,
    Perhaps the software section can answer my question or at least relate to this experience.
    I recently upgraded my Death Star Platform (tactile transducer platform (13 feet wide by 6 feet deep)) from two Carvin 2000 watts bridged mono to each Buttkicker, to two QSC Audio PLX 3002 amplifiers which would supposedly have less fan noise and provide a little more headroom over the Carvin which provide 2000 watts (bridged mono 4 ohm load).
    So anyway, I did not get to test them this past Friday night because by the time I made the exchange and ran new XLR interconnect and made some additional upgrades, I was way to tired to stay up. So the next day, this past Saturday, Episode One DVD was sitting unexpectedly in the mail. So I dropped everything and put the highly anticipated Star Wars Episode One DVD into the DVD Drawer, unaware that I had the volume for the Death Star Platform on Maximum, with the Subharmonic controls set to maximum.
    Anyway, I'm playing with the menu and picking the DD 5.1 track and started the movie. All of I sudden it turns pitch black and I hear this rainstorm coming out of every loudspeaker, wondering how wild it sounded, but not understanding what it was all about. Then the screen brightened and I saw this Blue sphere coming at me:
    [​IMG]
    So I'm looking at this blue electrified sphere which is starting to crackle louder and LOUDER.... And the next thing I know I felt the room practically explode! HOLY
    [​IMG] It was amazing! This damn EXPLODING Blue sphere just practically knocked me flying! I quickly ran to shut down all the controls as I started to watch the rest of the scene evolve:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    SHEEZE! I don't know if this is a new THX Intro or not. All I can tell you was I never saw this before, and I was not prepared for it. HOLY [​IMG] it was a very powerful moving experience!
    So has anyone seen this THX intro before? It is really cool and defintely starts out harmless, so beware! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Pictures: The Worm Hole Theater featuring the Black Hole Subs and Death Star Platform

2. Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch Supporting Actor

I'd seen this THX trailer in the theater before, but I think TPM is the first DVD I've experienced it with.
    To be honest, I'd forgotten how it started, so I was a little surprised too. I didn't recognize it until the water reforms as the icy letters, and by that time, it's too late if your sound is cranked all the way up.

3. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I hadn't seen this one either, and since I don't have access to a THX theater here, I can't say if it is new. Is this the "T2" intro? I'm not sure, cause the only connection to T2 was the liquid metal pools and the sphere...either way, it was cool and I hope THX will start providing more new intros.
    Bruce
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

4. Brad M

Brad M Second Unit

So was the menu not loud enough to tell that you had everything full throttle? Or was it just the sounder kicking everything in that did it?
    I'll add this about the THX trailer, the first viewing is always the best. You never get the experience again. You become a junkie for the next sounder. They should sell a THX trailer disc.