Storm Warning in '06 - Thanks WB (& HTF)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JohnMor, Mar 29, 2005.

1. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland
    I have to say that I'm thrilled this KKK drama is getting released next year, according to the WB chat tonight.

I pointed this out in passing in another thread, but I think it bears repeating: Warners had said in their last chat (or possibly the one prior) that this film wouldn't be released. Their exact words were, "Great film, but no one's heard of it and it wouldn't sell." Now it's on tap for 2006. And I believe this is really due in a very large part to this wonderful forum.

Nothing about this film has changed in the public conciousness since the last chat (i.e., it wasn't mentioned in many of the Reagan obituaries, etc.) except that it was discussed here somewhat regularly. And since we know the WB execs read these pages, I think a big "Thank You" is in order for the HTF, and the role it plays in getting interest in titles to the powers that be, especially at Warners, who seem to have great respect for their consumers.

So "Thank you, Warners" for releasing this title; this is a great time to be a collector of classic films. And thanks to the owners, administrators, moderators and posters of the HTF. This is a very valuable group to be a part of.

2. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    I knew this was going to be a fun evening when this question came up very early on and WB made this announcement.

You hit the nail on the head in your summation about why this is finally going to be released. Thank you Warners and thank you to the HTF for lobbying for this film.

Steve

3. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

I missed the chat, so this is GREAT news.

One of my most wanted to see films, let alone a DVD release.

Thanks Warner!!!!!

4. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

Thank you, Warners. Was there something in the chat about an "extended" version? Wonder if it will be in the next Doris Day Collection or the next Controversial Film Box? A Ronald Reagan Collection (he was quite proud of his participation in the film) with KNUTE ROCKNE, KINGS ROW, THE WINNING TEAM, THE HASTY HEART, and THE VOICE OF THE TURTLE??

5. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve

This was a Vincent Sherman directed film and possibly was one of the films he recorded a commentary for (I don't know this for a fact; just speculating).

As an aside, there's an article (with pictures) about Sherman's 98th birthday party in the current issue of Classic Images magazine. He looks incredible. More power to him.

Love your idea of the Reagan box. One of my back-up questions was to ask about some of his films you mention. We already know WB is working on King's Row.

Steve

6. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

I hope that Warners brings out THE BLACK LEGION (1937) as part of the Bogart collection or to coincide with STORM WARNING. It's an atypical role for Bogart as a blue collar worker who becomes involved with the KKK. It's one of his least known roles and one of his best.

7. Nick Eden

Nick Eden Stunt Coordinator

Yes please for a Ronald Reagan boxset. Apart from Storm Warning, I would love to see Kings Row- a truly fabulous film with a breathtaking score. Also, The Voice of the Turtle- a very fine comedy, although my recollection of the film is very vague-it hasn't been shown here in the UK for about 30 years or so!

8. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland

Well, the notation of "uncut" after the title in the chat leads me to wonder if certain words/lines, etc. may have been trimmed for TV airing over the years. (Not that it aired very often.) The only time I've seen the film, I was lucky to see a gorgeous 35mm print at UCLA a few years back during a Doris Day festival and was very pleasantly surprised to see how well the film holds up and plays today. And it did not seem edited in any way. Or perhaps there was a pre-release cut of the film that contains additional dialogue/scenes a la The Big Sleep or Strangers on a Train. Or is that hoping for WAY too much. [​IMG]

9. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

I couldn't make the chat the other night.
    I love Doris Day and am glad that Storm warning is on the way.
    Now, how about the other super rare Doris Film- Starlift !!