Storing movie posters-need solution

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron Boster, Aug 25, 2001.

1. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

Jan 10, 1999
    I purchased a lightbox frame and love it! Two problems, I 've become addicted to collecting double sided movie posters and the storing of my ever increasing "stash." How to best store the posters to have easy access to a specific title without taking up an enormous amount of room?
    THe first thought was to roll each one and create a a cubby holed box ...similar to the kind you see where they sell posters in a store (Best Buy)...pain to build (I'm not handy) and might take up a fair amount of room.
    Second thought was a large art/portfolio carrying type case. You know the kind people carry around to transport their drawings, sketches etc. I assume, I could pick one up at an art store, but can't imagine one could store a lot of posters. Also,I would assume they aren't cheap. Seems like a simple solution and would keep the posters flat w/easy access.
    What have others done?
  2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Jun 29, 2000
    When I had to store my posters between moving and finishing my HT, I just used two pieces of the cardboard backing that the posters came on.
    I laid the posters on one piece and put another piece on top and just taped the two pieces together.
    If you leave the top of the "sandwich" open where you can pull the cardboard apart, you can flip through the posters and get the ones out that you want without disturbing the others.
    Of course getting new ones in requires that you untape the pieces....but I just used scotch biggie to replace.
    This also keeps them pressed flat so when you want to use them, they're ready to go and don't need to be flattened out before you can hang it.
    As for storing it, I usually just slid the cardboard under the couch.....they laid flat and never were disturbed.
    May be too "homemade" or whatever, but it worked for me and didn't cost any $$.
  3. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Jul 23, 2001
    I had a similar dilemma a month ago. I have two LOC poster frames but about 5 or 6 posters, and I was originally storing the undisplayed posters in the frame behind the framed poster. Grew pretty tired of that very quickly!
    I had saved the protective cardboard that the screen for my Mits WS-65907 came in. It's the dimensions of the screen and folds in half. (to clarify, each half is the dimension of the screen). I drilled two holes into the sides that were "outside" of the width of the posters, then matched that to two screw holes I drilled into the wall of my garage. I then hung the cardboard on the screws after putting my posters in it. They lay flat in the cardboard, it works extremely well, and if I want to access a poster, all I have to do is pull the front flap towards me and it opens like a file folder. As a bonus, it takes up practically no room and is very accessible.
    Two minor notes: I keep a large piece of posterboard in there with the posters to ensure that they stay flat (it's just a small anal-retentive move on my part). Also, I use a binder clip to keep the flap from opening on its own.
    If you want more information, let me know. I'd be happy to email you a picture of it if you want so you can see what it looks like.