What's new

Storing large collections of DVDs with small children (1 Viewer)

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
OK, here is the direction I am going in after discussing it with my lovely wife:

She enjoys displaying the DVD's. She doesn't want them all put away. So we will make the most space possible in the Laurier unit for DVD's, and finish cataloging them with DVD Profiler (I am behind).

As far as VHS goes, they all go into the closet adjacent to the family room.

And finally, audio. We are torn between a 400 CD changer from Sony (which would probably not hold all of the CD's)and just moving the CD's into 3 ring binders with 8 per-page inserts. OrangeCD software is out there for cataloging this stuff, I was please to find. The jewel cases can be thrown away for all we care. Inserts and CD's in binders or just inserts in binders with the CD's in the big ol' changer. We don't have the money for the changer right now (it was $300 at best Buy I think.) So, that will take some more time.

I will have plenty of time as I go to the family room, computer room, cars, garage, kids rooms for the CD's and insert each one into the computer for Orange CD to catalog them. :)

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
I've also found it very challenging to find a place to store everything. The cd's are out in the family room with all of the equipment, but neither I nor my wife wanted another rack out there with all the movies on it; it's a fairly elegant room, and we want to at least attempt to minimize clutter. As a result, I've got all of the dvd's and ld's in my office, which is truly an office, as I work out of the house. Unfortunately, other actual business-related things need to go on my office bookshelves, and the two shelves that I had designated as movie shelves are now full. I haven't had too much trouble with the kids getting into the movies; I just need to find a new place to house them -- so thanks to everyone in this thread for the good suggestions.

On a side note, are there any particular titles that anyone's toddlers feel irresistably drawn to? My two and a half year old seems completely fascinated by the case and the booklet to Shrek. This is the only dvd she ever removes from the shelf. She hasn't seen the movie, and doesn't even seem to have a desire to. There's just something about that dvd that she feels she MUST investigate. Two or three times a week, I come into my office to find Shrek open on the floor with the booklet next to the case...

Rob T

Screenwriter

I was gonna suggest the same kind of thing.

Or a shelving unit that doesn't have any shelves near the floor could work too. :)

Brian E

Screenwriter

Is this the one you use?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....2&type=product

How is it as far as scratching the discs? I've had some CD binders that scratch discs like crazy. I like how it holds the insert as well as the disc. My problem isn't kids getting into them it's just that they take up so much space. My shelves are full & I'm starting to get over run. I thought about Slim Packs, but don't think that's the right solution for me either. I just wish these cases held more discs.

Tom Wyatt

Grip
That's exactly what I use, and like I said, I put extra pages into each of them, so they each hold 50 discs. I can't say for sure that I've never had a dvd scratched, but I haven't noticed it yet. This means I haven't looked too closely at the bottom side of the discs, and I haven't ever had one skip on me. I think my method of indexing them using dvd profiler and a separate 3-ring binder cuts down on their handling, and helps with longevity.

Brian E

Screenwriter
I'm sure I'd use Profiler too, since my stuff's already in it. At only 50 per book though I'm looking at probably 16 books to start. That's about $650 in books & inserts. Not sure that's what I want to do.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons

Still one of the cheapest solutions. Cheaper than the $45/50DVDs discsox. Adds less than $0.63 to each DVD and tremendous efficiency to your movie selection process.

You still have to leave the cases somewhere, though.

Cees

Ricky Cash

Agent
People, People, teach your children to respect what is yours and what it theirs. I know lots of you young parents think you give kids the free reign of the house but that is bad parenting. The house is yours and your spouses. This is what you(child)are allowed to touch this is off limits and you will not like what happens when you break the rules.

There is absolutley no reason to spend extra money to safeguard you collection from your kids. You say you are parents, well parent.

Parent of 3. Cd's 500 dvd's 200 all out in open.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Why not just get propert built-in's with shelf space for your family room so that you can safely and conveniently organize and store your dvd's without any worries? You can have them built with slide-in closing doors so you could keep your wife happy without the display of your ever-growing catalopgue of discs.

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
Ricky Cash,

Your post is completely off topic. I am tempted to ask a moderator to delete it. We are not discussing parenting, we are discussing organizing our DVD collection. While the influence of children on this process has been integral, parenting skills lessons are not.

Please refrain in the future. Here is a link to a web site with a forum where you CAN discuss parenting.

Your post would be on topic here

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks