What's new

Storing Electronics (1 Viewer)

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Can anyone tell me if it's okay to store electronics is a high heat/humidity area?

I bought an amp (a guitar amp actually) for my son's birthday, and since we like surprises in my family I'm hiding it in the garage. But the BD isn't until Sep, and August in Philadelphia is HOT, and it's in the garage, so REALLY HOT. I would never operate electronics like this; but until now I never thought about storage.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I doubt it will hurt the amp in the garage for a month. I'm sure its already be exposed to worse conditions. The trailer that delivered it and the storerooms it was housed in can be quite hot and humid.

Which amp did you get? I was considering getting a new amp for my son's birthday as well. Last year he got a sweet '98 Epi Les Paul.

BTW - I usually hide gifts in my son's bedroom. It is so disorganized he'd never find them.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
BTW - I usually hide gifts in my son's bedroom. It is so disorganized he'd never find them.
Heh! You know, that would probably work!

Thanks for the feedback, I feel better. The only other place was the basement, but that's more traveled and I was thinking moisture is worse than heat.

I don't play, so don't put anything into my selections; but I got the Vox VT50. It came highly recommended in my price range by his instructor and the guy at the store. I have to add that two customers in the store at the time gave a hearty thumbs up to the choice. Up til now he's been using the beginner/training amp that came with his starter guitar a few years ago.

We seem to be in the same cycle, I got him the basic Fender Stratocaster last year. The Les Paul looks cool, how did you come across that? (it looks to not be in production.)

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
There's a guy in town that runs a small guitar shop. He specializes in refurbishing old guitars. We used to go there every Monday for a "jam session" and my son played it a few times. I liked it and made a deal to get it. It is the 'sunburst' top. I ran the serial number and found it was made in 1998.

I was looking at Crate and Raven amps. They seem to have the 'most bang for the buck' (for a 14 year old's bedroom at least). I'll have to check out the VOX.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
There's a guy in town that runs a small guitar shop. He specializes in refurbishing old guitars. We used to go there every Monday for a "jam session" and my son played it a few times.
That's pretty cool.

I've been having all my dealing with a small chain. They've been great, but now that you mention it it might be nice to look for local shop where people go and exchange information and ideas. This place doesn't deal in used equipment either, and from this point on that's probably how my son will have to get higher end equipment.

As for the VOX amp, it supposedly has a lot of customizable effects that people seem to have like.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks