What's new

Stores and Phone numbers... (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Here's something I've been wondering, how come some stores, like Radio Shack(although they no longer require it), and a local bookstore will ask for your phone number before buying an item? I don't mind giving it out, but if you frequent the store often, it does get a bit annoying...

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Probably for demographic info. I don't get asked for my phone number a lot, but quite a few stores ask me for my ZIP code. I've always thought it was simply to see where their customers come from to shop there.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I suppose it is for marketing purposes. I never give it out. I tell them its unlisted, which it is, and they just ask me for my zip code. The only place I ever had a problem was Best Buy. They recently started doing this, and I refused to give it out. The clerk told me I could not complete the ATM transaction without it. I told her to forget it, and walked out without the merchandise. :angry: Won't go back there again.

Jeff Perry

Stunt Coordinator
Try, "I don't have a phone number." Especially fun with a cellular phone clipped to your belt. Never had anyone call me on that yet. I wish they would, I'd love to say, "Oh, that's not a phone. It's a garage door opener." Or, get real close and whisper, "I can't afford the monthly service plan... I just carry the phone around to look cool. Don't tell anyone, OK?"

If they don't believe you (never happened to me. They usually just say "ok" and proceed to ring my stuff up), go with, "They disconnected it for non-payment, ok? Why the hell are you making my personal finances your business?" Look angry and make a scene. Ensure other customers see and hear you.

Most fun (yes, I've done this, too): "Oh... I'm sorry. I mean, you're very attractive and all, but I'm actually married." (hold up left hand to show the ring) When she blushes and says, "Oh no, that's not what I- .. I mean- .. we have to ask everyone that question", laugh and say, "Sure you do. No, really, I can't give it to you. My wife wouldn't approve. Can you just ring this stuff up so I can be on my way?"

I've also gone with a simple no. It's great: "Can I get your phone number?" .. "(smile) Nope." Takes them by surprise every time.

Or give them a fake number. Make one up if you're afraid of confrontation, or give them 555-1212, 867-5309, etc.

chris_everett

Second Unit
"555-1234" The handfull that are smart enough to figure it out ususally just laugh.

A varient of Jeff's line... Last time I was at circuit city I was asked by a attractive young lady, and I said "For you or for your computer?" Got a good laugh...

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
Pamela, BB is the WORST at this kind of thing. i tried to get a raincheck for a sale dvd that was out of stock and they wanted name, address, phone #, email, etc. and told me they couldn't do the rain check without it. i told them to forget it and bought it somewhere else.:frowning:

LewB

Screenwriter
Just bought something at BB and was given a register receipt a mile long. 'You have been selected to take part in a quick survey, please call this toll free number and answer our questions, for which you have a chance to win $500'
Yeah, a snowball's chance in hell.

They are trying to get free market research. Screw 'em, nothing is for free. They take that info and try to use it to make more money. You want information, you gotta pay !

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks