Store Wars: When Wal-Mart Comes To Town

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Torrez, Jul 30, 2001.

1. John Torrez

John Torrez Second Unit

For anyone who missed it the first time (like me). This special will air again tomorrow night on PBS. If you want more info on this special visit the url below.
    http://www.pbs.org/storewars/
    Any insight from someone who watched it last time?
    ------------------
    "They're all gonna laugh at you!"

2. John Torrez

John Torrez Second Unit

Did anyone see this last night?
    ------------------
    "They're all gonna laugh at you!"

3. Rey L

Rey L Stunt Coordinator

Darn!! Missed it again!
    It's really pretty sad considering I live close to Ashland. I've heard a lot about the documentary locally, but have yet to see it. [​IMG]

4. Clark Rozier

Clark Rozier Agent

I saw most of this about 2wks ago. Excellent show!
    Really an eye opener on the kind of effect something like Wal-Mart can have on a town and its people. Positive or Negative solely depends on your point of view!
    Clark

5. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Well, I'll find out first hand in the next year or so, when both Walmart and Target arrive. We already have a big Kmart, which I hate, and I believe that will suffer the most. I don't expect many, or any, other stores to be much affected. Where I live is in kind of a unique situation; 50 miles from the Twin Cities, 45 miles from Rochester, MN. That's been the killer here, not big chain stores coming to town. In fact, Walmart and Target will be more of a boon, because they give people less reason to shop out of town and they will attract more of the local area.
    ------------------
    They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV
    [Edited last by alan halvorson on August 02, 2001 at 03:35 AM]