What's new

Stopping XP from trying to connect (1 Viewer)

Ari

Stunt Coordinator
I used to have a wired ethernet connection going to my PC running XP Pro. I had to move things around so I now use a wireless USB adaptor instead.

One annoyance is that XP keeps on thinking I don't have an internet connection and the dialer keeps on popping up when I'm surfing (I use Firefox).

Any idea on how to stop this??

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
It's kind of troublesome to do -- I switched over from dialup to DSL a while back and had some similar problems -- but basically there are all kinds of "Internet Properties" and "Internet Connexions" and "Connexion Properties" tabs scattered around, mostly under the Control Panel somewhere but sometimes under the programme itself, and you have to change all of them to select options such as "this is my default connexion", "never dial a connexion", and so on. It's a real pain.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
Go to Start> Control Panel. Then Select Network Connections. See if your wired network still shows up. If you've got a wireless connection and a "Local Area Connection" under LAN or Hi Speed Internet, you could always right click the "Local Area Connection" and disable it.

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
Ari -

If you right click on the wired connection and select properties there is a check box at the bottom of the General tab that says:

Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity.

Clear the check from the box and you will not be notified again.

Colin

Rommel_L

Second Unit
Ari,

Try this too...

Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Internet Options.
Click on Connections Tab.
Underneath Dial-up and Virtual Private Network Settings, click on Never dial a connction.
Click OK.

Rommel

Ari

Stunt Coordinator
Everyone,
Thanks for the tips although for some strange reason they didn't work. I beleive I've finally found the solution though. I went Control Panel> Performance and Maintenance> Administrative Tools> Services > Remote Access Auto Connection Manager> Disable.

I don't understand why Microsoft makes something like this so difficult....it's not clearly documented and it's hidden behind six menu levels. Arrrgggh!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks