Stopping Spam that pops up Outlook appointments???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Morris, Mar 21, 2002.

1. John Morris

John Morris Guest

I have set up some rules within Outlook that directs most of the spam I get to a spam dump directory. That way, most of the 100 or so spam emails I get each day are never seen by me and are not bothersome. Lately, however, I've been getting email which somehow hook into my Outlaw appointments and pop up an appointment alert which contains the spam info. When I look at Calandar, those appointments are not there, so no Calandar appt addition is made. However, those pesky Calendar alerts keep popping up through the day from emails I received. At first, it was one a day, but now it is about 5-7 each day and growing.

How can I stop this from happening???

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Can you tell Outlook to delete spam from the server without downloading it? That should stop it from doing weird things in Outlook. Also, try setting your Outlook's security zone to the restricted sites zone, this will prevent scripts embedded in emails from running.

Some things shouldn't be allowed in email messages, and scripting is one of them.

KJP

3. ChristopherS

ChristopherS Second Unit

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

I don't have Outlook but I do have Outlook Express, and the option in Express is under Tools, Options, then go to the Security tab, there should be a Security Zones option. In Outlook Express it lets you choose the Internet Zone or the Restricted Sites Zone. If you choose Restricted Sites zone then scripts won't run (unless you enable it under that zone in Internet Explorer).

Hopefully Outlook has a similar option--I would expect it does.

KJP

5. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

John - What version of Outlook are you running? Have you applied all the security patches?

-Dave