What's new

Stopover On Way to Maine? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Hello --

I'm planning a trip to Maine to visit friends and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where we can stop halfway or so overnight? (I have a 4 year old who won't like traveling for 8-10 hours).

I'm leaving from Allentown, PA (about 60 miles north of Philly) and going to Portland. I'd like a place that we could do something as a family. I'd rather not go into Boston but would like to go somewhere "New England-y" for a night. I was in Newport once but I don't think that's really on the way.

Suggestions?

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
How are you going to Maine, by way of NY state into Conneticutt (I-84) to the Mass Turnpike (I90) eventually picking up I95 around Boston? Or are you going the scenic way and the slow way through NY, perhaps ferry across Lake Champlain and crossing the Green and White Mountains? Didn't say when you are going, summer or winter. There are alot of nice small towns in VT/NH that you can stop by along the way.. (Lake Winnepesauki-I'm sure I spelled that wrong, if anybody remembers "What About Bob" :) ) is on the way.

Alternatively, if you go the faster direct route, there are some nice towns in Western Mass that is small and more rural than Boston.

Jay

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I'm going during the summer (July?) and I haven't decided which route.

When I went to Newport, I went through NY State and up 95 through Connecticut.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Maybe stop in Salem MA?

I went to Belgrade Lakes, ME last year. We traveled up through New York to meet a friend in Albany, before continuing on to Maine.

Best vacation ever. Took lots of pictures.

I'm trying to get my fiancee to do her postdoc at Jackson Labs, which is in Bar Harbor, just so I have an excuse to move there.

Alex S

Second Unit
Patrick,

There is a great small amusement park called Canobie Lake Park in Salem, NH (as soon as you get into NH).
That should be about half way from PA.
My 2 girls (4 & 10 at the time) loved it !

http://www.canobie.com/

Do you have a portable dvd player for the car ?
It really helps kids in long car trips.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Alex - thanks. I'll add that to my list of stuff to check out.

When we went to Rhode Island, I wedged an old Powerbook between the seats and she watched Toy Story. But, the battery only last 2-3 hours. :frowning:

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
If your 4 year old likes boats, whaling ships, and the like, Mystic Seaport (or its aquarium) are both good choices, in Mystic CT, a bit before you get to RI on I95.

Sturbridge Village in Mass after Hartford if you go the I84 route is another good choice. Surely all of these have websites.

My 4-5 year old just likes hotels with pools (for stopovers on the way); no need for a historic village to pass the time (but both are great educational visits, and my kids will seem them in time).

Dan

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
Shelburne Falls, MA ,, great view of glacial potholes, and about that time(july) the Bridge of flowers should be in full bloom. There is also a great little glass blowing place in that town. You would probably be staying in Greenfield, MA so you could still hit South Deerfield and visit Yankee Candle(my dad works there), if you go to Yankee Candle you could also go south on RT5 and visit Magic Wings its a butterfly "hangar". Basically they built a giant greenhouse and filled it with all kinds of colorful butterflies all flying around you. If you decide to stay overnight in that area and its a friday or saturday you could hit the Northfield Drive-In Theater. I know i got carried away but everything i mentioned is all within about 20-30mins of each other, off I-91 in Mass.

--
jay

Tim Morton

Stunt Coordinator
Come on up to Vermont and i'll throw some steaks on the grill and the kids can swim in the pool while we have a few POPS. You have been given some good places to stop...Mystic is amazing and the kids will love it, the butterflies are cool too..much cooler than you would think. Sturbridge is fun especially if you like old houses and antiques...what are you looking for to do?

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

To answer Tim's question, I just want some place where we'll arrive at noon or so, spend the afternoon hanging out, and then head back to a hotel for the evening.

The butterfly thing sounds really cool. I have to find that on the map.

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
You can always go to Freeport, ME to the outlet mall. We always try to visit there when we go to Bar Harbor. I love it out there. I wish I could get a job at the Jackson Laboratory. I think I could, but try to get my wife to leave her family is another beast to tackle.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks