What's new

Stop with the 4:3 SD Window Boxing!!!! (1 Viewer)

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
what the hell is wrong with blu-ray producers and their need to put 4:3 material in standard definition into 16:9 sd window boxing? we lose resolution/quality because of it.
if your source material is 4:3 sd and your output will be sd also, then freaking do it in 4:3 and not 16:9 window boxing. the latest offender is universal with the bts for jaws.
stop doing this!!!

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I'm not sure I'm understanding your complaint.

Are you talking about 1.78:1 AR content in 4:3 video encodes? Then yes it should be 16:9 instead of 4:3. But in my experience there's always one part of the featurette - such as a title page or random clip - that is 1.33:1 during that featurette. If that's the case then keeping it 4:3 is the only way not to crop the 1.33:1 material without re-editing the entire bonus feature, which is quite expensive.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
no... i'm talking about featurettes that are produced in 4:3 and now included on blu-ray or even on dvd and that have been re-encoded into 16:9 window boxing. all of the jaws btw, except the ones in hd, are window boxed because their source files are 4:3. the 2005 bts are even worse because they are actual 16:9 produced videos and are now have black bars all around them.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
EnricoE said:
i'm talking about featurettes that are produced in 4:3 and now included on blu-ray or even on dvd and that have been re-encoded into 16:9 window boxing.
:confused:
I'm not sure how "16:9 window-boxing" could work, considering that Blu-ray is a 16:9 format. Do you mean "pillar-boxing"?

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
Doctorossi said:
:confused:
I'm not sure how "16:9 window-boxing" could work, considering that Blu-ray is a 16:9 format. Do you mean "pillar-boxing"?
the original laserdisc documentary is pillar boxed
the 2005 bts is window boxed
both are embedded into 16:9 video
picture of the 2005 bts to illustrate
8fa7940f_jaws_2005_bts.jpeg

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I think what Enrico is saying in his example is that the original aspect-ratio was closer to 16:9 but they added bars at the top and bottom for the laserdisc so it would fit the 4:3 output at the time. But instead of opening it up for the blu-ray they treated it like it is still 4:3 content and further boxed it in on the sides. My guess is that it was originally non-anamorphic and they didn't want to take the time to redo it to make it anamorphic, which would have made it easy to accomodate the wider screen. Basically, there is no need for bars on the top and bottom anymore.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
EnricoE said:
how about 4:3 :rolleyes:
That's what pillar-boxing would produce (unless they squeezed or pan-and-scanned it into a different ratio), so I still don't understand your complaint.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
smithb said:
I think what Enrico is saying in his example is that the original aspect-ratio was closer to 16:9 but they added bars at the top and bottom for the laserdisc so it would fit the 4:3 output at the time.
Adding bars to the top and bottom of a (close to) 16:9 image cannot make a 4:3 image.
smithb said:
But instead of opening it up for the blu-ray they treated it like it is still 4:3 content and further boxed it in on the sides.
That would make more sense, but Enrico described it as 4:3 content.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
Doctorossi said:
That's what pillar-boxing would produce (unless they squeezed or pan-and-scanned it into a different ratio), so I still don't understand your complaint.
what's not to understand? blu-ray can have true 4:3 sd files. this means there is no need to pillar box anything unless a hd version is released, e.g. movies with a 1.33:1 aspect ratio.
as for the 2005 bts it's even worse because it was originally produced in 16:9 and put on blu-ray in a window boxed format.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Doctorossi said:
Adding bars to the top and bottom of a (close to) 16:9 image cannot make a 4:3 image.
Really? Then what were they doing all through the 90's when they released wide screen films on DVD? I saw bars on the top and bottom to fill it out to make a 4:3 image.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
EnricoE said:
blu-ray can have true 4:3 sd files. this means there is no need to pillar box anything unless a hd version is released
I don't think you understand the terminology you're using. Any 4:3 material on Blu-ray is necessarily pillar-boxed unless it is cropped into another aspect-ratio.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
smithb said:
Really? Then what were they doing all through the 90's when they released wide screen films on DVD? I saw bars on the top and bottom to fill it out to make a 4:3 image.
Sorry- I misunderstood you.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Enrico, the old "a picture is worth a 1000 words" could apply here.
I think we get the idea about the 16:9 content being window-boxed, but the 4:3 SD content is still a bit confusing. Could you provide an example?

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
smithb said:
Enrico, the old "a picture is worth a 1000 words" could apply here.
I think we get the idea about the 16:9 content being window-boxed, but the 4:3 SD content is still a bit confusing. Could you provide an example?
there... pillar boxed 4:3 in a 16:9 video
9deceee9_fourtothree.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks