What's new

Stop the posting of P&S problems!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Tyler T

Stunt Coordinator
I cannot believe all of these posts by people complaining about BB and this store and that. Personally, I think that all these threads are a waste of time, even if the person posting was a newbie. Yes, I do prefer WS and was very pissed when I accedentally got The Mummy Returns in P&S only (when I still went to BB). So far I have found 3 very useful selections:
Mom and Pop Stores-Yes those cheap, 2 or day rental video rental shops with boring names like Video Shack or (for me) Bay Area Video. But, they stock up in WS DVD's which is good. The only drawback is that since they only give you 2 or 3 days of rental, I really can't watch everything (especally 2 disc sets with more than 1 commentary).
Hollywood Video-A better solution, IMO, is this place. 5 day rentals on everything in the store (including new releases! :) ). But, they have WS copies of The Grinch and Jurrasic Park 3 and I'm pretty sure they will have the other releases that are in WS and P&S soon. I usually can watch all the extras in 5 days, but sometimes I cannot. Of course, one thing that I have found wrong with it is (well it could only be my store that does this) that they have a very minimal selection. For example, they have a long selection for new releases, which is like BB, but they have a regular section and a half of the old releases. My local BB has 3 front side and back selection shelfs which I am enraged to miss because of their P&S stocking. Another thing is that HV stocks in a lot of low budget crappy "horror" films such as Witchouse, Demonicus, and Terrorvision and a lot of early Universal/Image releases.
Netflix-Probably my favorite way to get WS discs. While like HV and some others, the first few releases (The Mummy Returns and Cats and Dogs) were in P&S only, but now they have jumped on the WS bandwagon. Those titles I mentioned above in the HV part are WS over their. The only drawback to Netflix is that the discs take forever to get, but the shipping is free and their is an unlimited selection (not sure if they have all the adult DVD's though:D).
So for any newbies or any other people who are sick of BB, then pick one or more of these and please try to limit the posts, please.

James Miller

Stunt Coordinator
I'll be the first to agree that some of these posts are repetitive to say the least, and go on ad-nauseum, but those of us who fear te "dumbing down" of DVDs so as to appeal to the masses (who are not yet informed on the benefits of wide-screen and anamorphic) NEED to know where NOT to spend our money.

DVD not only provides the best audio/video today but also promises the best audio/video for the ongoing conversion to HDTV and widescreen sets. We don't want DVD limited to P&S now or especially in the future.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Tyler,
Thanks for the suggestions and congratulations on your 2 months+ at HTF!
I was just checking your thread history to see what sort of topics you find interesting.
There are lots and lots of topics under discussion at HTF, probably best not to focus on those that don't float yer boat.
;)
Jim

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Jim, that was great! If the topic does not interest you, then don't go there.

Tyler, I think you have missed the point, or just have not read enough. Even some of the Hollywood Video stores do not stock WS movies. It depends on if the store is run by the corporate office or is a franchised operation.

Also, some of the studios are considering (and I am being overly polite here) on releasing only the P&S versions of future releases. It is for that reason that the subject is such a 'hot' one. I am sure that you have a 'list' of titles that you just can't wait to get. Are you still going to purchase/rent them if they are only available in P&S?

Glenn

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I think the Pan 'n Scan threads are fine. The constant complaints are not only legitimate, but they serve to inform "newer" HT owners on how widespread and insidious the non-stop butchering of art really is. (I've been a rabid movie freak my whole life, yet I never REALLY knew the difference between various aspect ratios until becoming a member of the HTF.)

I'm fortunate enough to have a Tower Video near my home, and I never have any problem getting the DVDs (yes, all OAR obviously) I want there. If a member wants to share their experiences or cautionary tales, I don't see why they shouldn't. Conversation breeds enlightenment.

J

John Ford

Since I am still restricted to a dial up connection (and not the best at that) I usually avoid threads that are very long, especially if they run 3 or more pages unless the subject is something I am very interested in. So I don't mind new thread on OAR problems.

johnf

Jerry AZ

Stunt Coordinator
Hollywood Video-A better solution, IMO, is this place. 5 day rentals on everything in the store (including new releases! ). But, they have WS copies of The Grinch and Jurrasic Park 3 and I'm pretty sure they will have the other releases that are in WS and P&S soon.
Yep, they are the place I rent from. I got tired of having to rush back to BB to return a new release the next day, and I can get WS copies at my store here too. :emoji_thumbsup: I always make sure to remark on how nice it is to be able to get WS there.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Just to defend my beloved Best Buy, I'll have you know that every single copy of the Mummy Returns that I saw there tonight was widescreen, with a good number of JP3 WS too. Same at Target. Thanks for the tip about Hollywood, I'll have to get started bugging my parents to start renting there instead.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
OK guys, shall we hijack Tylers thread, and use it as a promotion for OAR? Sounds good to me :D
NO OAR = NO SALE OR RENTAL ;)

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Oh and BTW Tyler when P&S ceases to be a problem to us RABID OAR supporters, we'll quit complaining about it and posting about it......mmmmkay.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Instead of complaining, use your wallet to speak the voice of OAR.

I want to spend my money on OAR releases...not pan & scan.

My gain, their loss. I got a store worker to go into their "storage" in the back of the place to find me a widescreen DVD of Jurassic Park.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Instead of complaining, use your wallet to speak the voice of OAR.
Obviously we enthusiasts do use our wallet to speak for OAR. And by complaining in threads related to P&S butchery, we not only inform the 'lurkers' and newbies to HT, we also inspire each other to come up with idea's and solutions for preserving OAR and console each other because studio's do not allow us to purchase and view some of our favorite films on DVD in OAR!
So these "P&S Problem" threads to some are not only comforting but informational and inspirational.
This is one of the reasons why I love being a member here, to discuss how we can improve our Home Theater experiences without the bastardization of P&S on DVD! That is one of the reasons the HTF is here!

DanR

Supporting Actor
You know, I almost posted a similar type thread a while back. Tyler brings up a great point.
Many of you are mis-understanding the whole point. It's not that 99% of us don't care, rather it's the multiple and overly specific threads (i.e. "damn those bastards at Blockbuster for carrying only Mummy P&S" or "damn those pricks at Hollywood Video") that continue to harp on the same thing. You know what? Most of us really don't care that you had to drive to 15 video stores to find a widescreen version. This happens every Tuesday or any time a new article hits the press.
There was a similar "revolt" against multiple Star Wars and BTTF threads, so why should OAR be any different? Have one big thread for it. When it gets too big, the administrators will open another one. Plain and simple.
As for the argument that constant harping on OAR will "educate" newbies, that is ridiculous. If the discussion is in one thread, it will constantly be "bumped" to the top as discussion progresses and will be right at the forefront of the Software Forum. They will see it; you don't need 10 threads to get someone's "attention".
Regards,
Dan

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
There was a similar "revolt" against multiple Star Wars and BTTF threads, so why should OAR be any different? Have one big thread for it. When it gets too big, the administrators will open another one. Plain and simple.
Great idea Dan. There really are way too many threads that just complain about the same things over and over. Yes you can always just skip the thread, but it seems like the OAR issues gets thrown into more and more unrelated threads as well.

A one and only thread will allow all OAR issues to be consolidated in one place, and allow everyone to pump each other up about OAR in one place (not that is is much help though).

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks