Stop the madness! I don't know what to do!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeAlletto, Aug 14, 2002.

1. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I've been needing to upgrade for quite a while now. I was going to get a Sony DA5ES, but now they've got new models rolling out. So I was looking at the 4ES or the 7ES. But now I started looking at other manufacturers. I was looking at the Denon 3802 and 4802. They both look mighty tasty. I'll also be upgrading my speakers eventually, but was going to get a new receiver first and then new speakers once I get out of my apartment next year (hopefully). So help! How do you folks even begin to decide what receiver to get? Too many models, too many choices, where to begin?

2. Dave Dahl

Dave Dahl Stunt Coordinator

Mike,

The first step before you purchase anything is to decide what you want to use it for. Have you seen other receivers over at your friends? What did you like or dislike about them? Will you use it more for movies or music? Are there any special features that you've heard about or seen at a friends house that you would like (or not) to have? How important is the remote? Will others have to use it in the house. Do they have any special needs regarding usage?

It all begins with figuing out why you need a receiver before you can choose which way to go.

-Dave

3. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

First you need to set out what features you want in a receiver, specifically which are most important to you. Like how many digital inputs will you need and might you need in the future. When I buy a receiver I try not to only think what I need now but what I might need in the future, like when I got my 49tx I only had a 5.1 setup then I upgraded to 7.1 since it had 7.1 capability I didn't have to worry about extra amps or what ever. You may not have prgressive scan or HD now but you might want to plan for it if becomes more affordable or popular. My TV isn't HD capable but my dvd and receiver are capable of handling prog scan so when I get a new TV I won't have to spend more then necessary. IMO I would go with Denon over Sony & think most people would agree with me. I think the 3802 is a great value for $699. Also you need to decide how much you want to spend which is the most important factor. When you give us these answers we will be able to help you chose a receiver. But then your gonna also need to audition to your choices to find out which sounds best to you and then decide which to puchase.

Daniel Smith

4. Hanwook_K

Hanwook_K Stunt Coordinator

What do you want? What do you listen?
    Here is a list of questions:
    1. What is your DVD to Music Ratio?
    2. Do you want multi-channel hirez music?
    3. Do you want 6.1, 7.1, or 5.1?
    4. Do you want Multi-zone, multi-source?
    5. Do you want Component switching 54mhz?
    6. What is your Budget?
    7. How important is cool factor?
    8. What kind of speaker do you want (systems work together so this is an important question)?
    Personally, I'm partial to Denon Receivers, B&W Speakers, and anything that looks cool [​IMG]

5. AndyHangartner

AndyHangartner Stunt Coordinator

Mike
    I just disposed of my Denon 4802. I was not impressed with the unit at all, and the price is ridiculous. The sound was very veiled over and not defined in the midrange. Of course this is my opinion and anyone else may have theirs but save your money here. I purchased a Da4es yesterday while I sit out the current soundfield wars waiting for things to settle. I am very impressed with the H/T portion. My opinion is that the center dialog and the surround effects are much more detailed than the denon. For two channel the Sony has an analog direct mode which works pretty well with my Ah! cd player. Even though the Denon may have a warmer sound, the Sony I believe controls the bass much better and the music is more powerful. I have all PSB silver i speakers and a Hsu sub.
    andy

6. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

I think that if you have a good sub and are using bass redirection, then just about any HT receiver that has the modes, inputs and outputs you need will sound OK for movies. If you insist on running some of your speakers as large, then you need to look upmarket or get outboard amps.

If you are also interested in stereo, then that raises the stakes to another level. It is cheaper and easier to use an outboard analog preamp/amp or integrated amp with the mains for that than to get a HT receiver with equivalent performance.

7. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

1. What is your DVD to Music Ratio?

Maybe 90% DVD, only do I occassionally listen to music through it and that is mostly minidiscs.

2. Do you want multi-channel hirez music?

Not really that important right now, but maybe in the future (your talking about sadc and dvd audio correct?)

3. Do you want 6.1, 7.1, or 5.1?

I'm doing 5.1 now, so I think the best upgrade for me would be 7.1.

4. Do you want Multi-zone, multi-source?

This is not important at all.

5. Do you want Component switching 54mhz?

My tv currently does not have component inputs, yet...

6. What is your Budget?

I'd be willing to spend 1000-1500 on just the recevier.

7. How important is cool factor?

hehe...very

8. What kind of speaker do you want (systems work together so this is an important question)?

I was recently looking at a set of PSBs Image series. 2Bs for the surrounds, 9C center, then either 5T or 6T for mains. I'd add the 2 more for the 7.1 later. I haven't decided on a subwoofer yet, but that will seriously have to wait till I'm out of an apartment.

8. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

9. Sebastien David

Sebastien David Second Unit

Either wait a while and get a Denon xx02 when the xx03 models come out (clearance pricing anyone) or do the same right now with the STR-DA5ES. I don't think you can go wrong either way, but make sure you get a good price.

10. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Just had to add my opinion. Oh well!
    All of these are good rcvrs and would make you happy, happy, happy.
    5es
    5800 can be had at a clearance price?????? $2000?????
    jvc10
    8000??????????????
    others=Kenwood ???, Pioneer 811s(good buy)
    The prices on these are going down and can be had for a great price. Shop around and call Oades, 6TH Ave, JR, ONECALL, before you leap. They will usually meet or beat your best price.[​IMG]
    PS I did not know the 7es was out! How much???

11. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Like many of the guys here have stated. I would sit down and figure out what you will be using the new receiver for? Music, Movies, Multi Channel DVD-A, SACD's. You will need to figure out how many digital inputs and outputs you will need. Defenatly think about future needs and get more than your current needs dictate. Get the biggest bang for the buck as far as you budget is concerned. IMHO unless you are married and you wife is going to be using the system. I would not worry about anyone else when it comes time to making a choice. Most of the receivers are easy enough to navigate just to play sources on a day to day bases. Depending on your budget I would make the following recomendations. You can go to your local audio dealers and listen to different models. Bring your favorite cd's and dvd's and play the same discs in each system. This should give you a good idea what receiver you prefere. Look at Pioneer Elite, Denon, Marantz, Harman Kardon, Yamaha, Sunfire, Rotel, and Sony ES. There are alot of good models out there and only you can decide what you like buy looking at features and listening.