1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Stop the Dawn of the Dead Remake!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rich Romero, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Rich Romero

Rich Romero Supporting Actor

Stop the Dawn of the Dead Remake Petition
    A Dawn of the Dead remake is absolutely the worst idea in the history of movies. Maybe to me more than you, but the idea stinks. The fans are against it, Romero himself is against it and it shouldn't be made. I know these petitions don't do anything but this one hopefully can be an exception.

2. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    Talk about useless petitions! It's a too late now to stop it, as much money has already exchanged hands.
    And I'm sure you've got a great chance of getting a positive response with a petition that charges that they're simply out to make a quick buck. [​IMG] "Gee, we insulted you a whole bunch...why didn't you listen to our demands?"
    DJ

3. Rain

Rain Producer

4. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

OK, I love Dawn of the Dead as much as any horror freak, but petitioning against a future movie is as pointless a gesture as me asking Kirsten Dunst to be my kinky sex slave.
    I respect your devotion to the original, but if they can remake Psycho, that means anything is fair game.
    Nick Nunziata, head animal over at Chud.com recently had posted an article about James Gunn, screenwriter of Scooby-Doo and the upcoming Dawn of the Dead remake. Here's a snip:
    Heck, they remade the original! The sequel seems fair game!

5. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Take a quarter of the money they are spending on the remake and digitally color the blood in the original from pinkish red to a more real dark red. Then re-release it into theaters.
    I'm not serious of course, but if they wanted to make a change to the original in order to make it more palatable to modern audiences, that to me is the only sour egg in the basket, and not all that bad really IMO. Maybe some of the acting is a bit on the amateurish side but hey, it was made independently in 1977/78 so I can be much more forgiving for DOTD than I would for all the bad acting to be found in most of the big budget Hollywood fare you see year after year.

6. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

7. Rich Romero

Rich Romero Supporting Actor

Great point. Romero was OK with a remake as long as the right people were behind it. Romero wasn't even asked if he was OK with the remake. Rubinstein owns the rights to Dawn so he went ahead and gave the OK.

8. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I'd personally be happier with a remake of Day of the Dead. That movie was so bad it couldn't be made worse.
    and so long as I can get the original DOTD in the millenium edition from anchor bay, they can make all the remakes they want.

9. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

10. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Though I don't like the idea, I'm reserving judgment. True the 1990 Night of the Living Dead had the support of Mr. Romero--and the thing is, I prefer it many ways to the classic original.

James Gunn is a good writer, too.

We have no choice but to sit back. A small petition is not going to have any effect on the studio. Really now.

11. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

12. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

But this remake crazy environment in Hollywood has to stop somewhere! And people thought the zombie munching in RESIDENT EVIL was weak? Wait until they try DAWN OF THE DEAD. Probably end up more like DAWN OF THE SLIGHTLY HUNGRY DEAD!

13. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jordan, the remakes will cease once the public stops buying into Hollywood's creative bankruptcy. I don't like it any more than you. But people keep buying tickets.

14. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

You're right, Jack. I did not go see the PSYCHO remake (caught it on cable; please forgive me Sir Alfred!), won't see MR. DEEDS at all, and shudder at the thought of the DAWN remake. But it is a double edged sword for me as a screenwriter. I have had numerous discussions with fellow writers: Would you write a remake if it was given to you as your first big break? The older I get, the more I lean toward "as long as I get paid." I know of dozens of brilliant scripts out there available, but it's just so hard to get your foot in that proverbial front door. Talk about beating my head against the wall. I hate remakes, but would write one to pay the rent! [​IMG]

15. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Jack,
    I'm just wondering what this opinion is based on. The guy wrote a few movies (and an ill-fated TV series) for those schlock-lovin' Troma freaks, and then penned the straight-to-video flick The Specials (which I very much want to see, but haven't yet).
    Other than that, he's done Scooby-Doo. I'm not trying to being sarcastic; maybe you're familiar with some work he did that I'm not familiar with! (uncredited script polish, etc.)
    I'm not down on the guy, but I haven't seen anything too impressive from him just yet.

16. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian

17. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

---quote---
    OK, I love Dawn of the Dead as much as any horror freak, but petitioning against a future movie is as pointless a gesture as me asking Kirsten Dunst to be my kinky sex slave.
    ---endquote---
    Okay, that's a deal. If they get to remake Dawn of the Dead, Kirsten Dunst has to come to my house to be my kinky sex slave. Thankfully Windows emulates something resembling multi-tasking, and I'm writing the shopping list for her to pick up in a Word window on half my screen.
    [​IMG]