stoopid.cheap.keyboards.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip_G, May 10, 2002.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

my.space.bar.broke.
    Is.it.just.me.or.have.keyboards.REALLY.gone.down.i n.quality.the.last.few.years?...[​IMG]

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    For $15, buy a FEW!!

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Mineworksjustfine,Ifigurewhatthehell,typewithoutit justforfun.Althoughitisdifficulttotryandtypewithou tusingthespacebar.Ineedabeer.
    PeaceOut~[​IMG]

4. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I still have my keayboard from 5 years ago. I've spilled drinks and food on it, dropped it, had my cats step on it, and all kinds of stuff, and it still works like a charm.

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

FEEL.MY.PAIN.DAMM.YOU!
    notice.i.still.get.my.fix.though.[​IMG]

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

actually.the.funny.thing.is.my.other.one.died.like .a.month.ago,so.i've.been

using.this.one.which.doesn't.have.the.plastic.spac e.bar,so.I.have.to.push.the.little.button.but.now. that.has.ceased.to.be

7. Bill J

Bill J Producer

Did your keyboard really break or are you just joking? Because you can copy and paste spaces, if your space bar really is not working.

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Copy and paste spaces? Got some time on your hands? [​IMG]
    My trusty iMac keyboard is hanging in there--though the keys occasionally stick. Some cat hair always seems to be stuck in some of the keys (and I keep the thing covered--but my little buddy Attila likes to climb in my lap for a purring session whenever I'm online).

9. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

There are ways to produce a space without the space bar:

Hold down the Alt key and type the number "32" on the keypad, then release the Alt key. A space will appear.

Copy that space. Then paste it by hitting Ctrl-V wherever you need it.

KJP

10. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Buy a good keyboard!

I paid $65 for the one I'm typing on right now. Part of that cost is the fact that it's a bit of a wacky keyboard (it's only like 70 keys; just letters and the essentials.).. but part of that price is it's a quite a nice keyboard.

Yeah, the cheap $5-$15 ones and the ones that come with a system off the shelf are pretty horrid. Invest $30-$40 in good quality keyboard that you like.

11. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

yes it really broke, Yes I can copy and paste spaces, I could even use ALT+0160 if I wanted to get fancy, but I'm lazy.

that was a good keyboard, keytronics I think was the brand, they're usually quite decent. This one is an overpriced one I picked up at target, because it was cheaper than anything best buy had in their grossly overpriced selection (living in a small town sucks. Back home i could go to a wholesaler and buy a good keyboard cheap)

12. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Hey philip, you, uh, forgot to pretend that your spacebar doesn't work!

Anyhow, I noticed that Fujitsu's stock keyboard took a big dive 3 years ago. The 5 year-old one I have is in great condition, and has a great feel and excellent contact. It was cheap too: about $20 CDN. However, the same keyboard sold today is spongy and gives no feedback. Total piece of crap. And is sold for the same price.

Happens when corporations outsource products and turn them into crap!

13. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

14. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Bill, care to share the make and model on that there keyboard? You have me intrigued.

15. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Ah! Philip, I thought you were talking about your old Keytronics one hehe.

Anyone try that new microsoft keyboard with the finger massager on the left-hand side? Oops I meant the scrolly thingy.

16. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Doesn't Keytronics still make the "ultimate lifetime" keyboard with the lifetime warranty?

17. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

not sure wayne. I've been using their keyboards for as long as I can remember. In fact I think (not (+) though) they used to make keyboards for dell and gateway before they started selling $800 systems and using crap boards.
    too late now anyway, I beat it against the dumpster until it was in a million bits [​IMG]

18. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I prefer using a Sun 5c keyboard, but unfortunately it only works on Sun systems. If I can't use that, I use an Apple Pro Keyboard, which works fine on Windows machines as well as Macs. It's about $70, and well worth it.

Most of the time I use laptops, and have to deal with the keyboards of those. I mostly use an Apple Powerbook, and I enjoy using their keyboards a lot. Recently I got a toshiba laptop, and I'm having a difficult time re-adjusting to a windows keyboard. Otherwise, it's fine though.

A guy at work is thinking about buying one of those chording keyboards to help his RSI. We'll see how it goes.

19. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    At our office, we normally use the expensive IBM keyboards with the proper spring loaded "click" keys. Considering the way I BANG away on a keyboard, it's a miracle I've yet to ruin any of them even after many years of abuse. Even my Thinkpad's keyboard still tolerates my abusive typing style.

Never go the cheap way with keyboards. Just about every membrane keyboard out there is simply not designed to last very long. That includes the specialized keyboards with the "convenience" buttons on them which will most likely cost a lot more to replace compared with the cost of a regular "throwaway" membrane keyboard.

20. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

One good thing about membrane keyboards is that they have a good chance of surviving mild bouts of Pepsi Syndrome.

I just checked out their website. Keytronics makes lots of different keyboards. Most have a warranty of two or three years. It looks like the only ones with the lifetime warranty are the LT Classic and LT Designer. They cost $39 and $60 respectively, their most expensive non-specialized keyboards (no fancy websurfing keys, no USB, no trackball, no bundled mouse). The LT Designer is a membrane keyboard, the specs for the LT Classic do not mention membrane but rather "patented tactile response". Both are rated for wear at 20 million keystrokes, some of their cheaper keyboards are rated for only 10 million.

I've got no problem with a membrane keyboard as long as it has a good feel. The last time I used a genuine IBM keyboard was the last time I saw a genuine IBM PS/2, ten or more years ago. I didn't like the way the keys sprang back against my fingers and I didn't like the sound. Boingy boingy boingity boingity boing. Back then, the keyboard to have was the Northgate. They built solid computers with solid keyboards.

At work we have a workshop with a concrete floor which is a good place to vent a little stress on a keyboard that has gone bad. We give the bad keyboard to the technician who seems to be most stressed out at the moment and say "Terminate with extreme prejudice". That means to hold the keyboard by the cable, spin it round and round over the shoulder a few times to build up speed and then slam it onto the concrete floor. The keys fly throughout the workshop in a most stress-relieving satisfying way. People will find stray keys for the next couple of weeks. "Look, I found the 'R'!"