What's new

Stoney Burke: The Complete Series (1 Viewer)

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
STONEY BURKE: The Complete Series arrived on my porch today from Amazon. Nice set from Timeless, who disappointed me a little recently with their lackluster-quality GRIZZLY ADAMS and HARDY BOYS Season 3 sets.

It's 6 discs, 32 episodes for the complete series (5 episodes to a disc except for discs 5 and 6, which have 6), and the case is a little on the flimsy side (I had a floater when I opened it, but it played fine), however the episode transfers themselves are VERY nice. It looks to me like these transfers were probably relatively recently, they don't appear to be from videotape masters--more likely these were transfers from 16mm.

Watched the first show, "The Contender", and it's fun seeing Jack Lord in a bit of a 'lighter' role and appearing to have a little fun. His charisma seems to shine through right off the bat, because while the story was fairly standard and light on plot, what makes it work is his portrayal of Burke. He's the glue holding it all together. The supporting cast (Bruce Dern, Warren Oates) doesn't seem to have a lot to do, but they're pleasant enough to watch. It's interesting how the show seems to have been conceived as a Western for the 'modern' era (at the time, anyway)--it fits in nicely with other B&W Western shows of the era like Bonanza, Gunsmoke and Rawhide. I read somewhere that even after the show was cancelled, Lord toured the country making appearances at county fairs 'in character', as the character seemed to have been fairly popular despite the show's low ratings. By 1968, of course, all that changed, as Lord shot to stardom in HAWAII FIVE-O. (Side note: in 1962, the year BURKE premiered, Lord also made his first and only appearance as Felix Leiter in the first Bond film, DR. NO).

All in all, I think this is a nice set, and it's great to have a complete run of this show, worth the $35 from Amazon (it may also be sold at retail in stores like Walmart and Sam's). I'll probably slowly work my way through this set in the days and weeks ahead.

This is a must-have for Jack Lord fans, and fans who like shows with a Western flair may want to check it out once the price drops in a year or two.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I'll be picking this up eventually. No doubt about it. Thanks for the review, Jeff.

Gary "sounds like a solid series" O.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
It's (also) a must have for anyone who appreciates the work of Leslie Stevens and his (legendary) Daystar Productions (with his celebrated Blue Ribbon crew).

The gentleman wanted to be another successful television production mogul like Quinn Martin but never really made it.

Where in Heaven's name would we be without THE OUTER LIMITS?! Under the aegis of his beloved Daystar Mr. Stevens came up with a number of very interesting promising tv projects that just never made it.

Usually Walmart sells these things at very reasonable prices but there is no way of telling in advance just what will actually be carried.

Jeff T.

:D

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Also just got this yesterday, and watched the first episode, which was very good. In addition to seeing Jack Lord in a different kind of role, it's also great to see more of Bruce Dern and Warren Oates (who kind of stole the show for me in this episode). Looking ahead, it seems to have a quality line-up of guest stars (especially if you're like me, and a episode featuring both Edward Binns and Strother Martin is your idea of fun).

It's great to get to get full runs of one-season wonder like this and The Lieutenant, especially with such nice prints! I wouldn't have imagined such DVD riches a few years ago.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Gary OS said:
I'll be picking this up eventually. No doubt about it. Thanks for the review, Jeff.

Gary "sounds like a solid series" O.
Gary, I know that your Western preferences (like mine) run more towards shows that were shot outdoors on location rather than on Hollywood sets and backlots. You'll be happy to know that STONEY BURKE seems to have a lot of outdoor scenes that add to the show's authenticity. Interior sets are mainly limited to scenes set inside buildings. Production values definitely seem to be pretty strong for this series. some nice music cues, too, by Dominic Frontiere, I believe. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
JeffT. said:
It's (also) a must have for anyone who appreciates the work of Leslie Stevens and his (legendary) Daystar Productions (with his celebrated Blue Ribbon crew).

The gentleman wanted to be another successful television production mogul like Quinn Martin but never really made it.
Jeff T., is this the same Leslie Stevens who went on to produce the 1978 BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (and BUCK ROGERS)? If I recall, there was even some rumored dispute as to who actually came up with the original version of the story for GALACTICA, himself or Glen Larson.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Watched the 2nd episode this evening ("Fight Night"), and it was much stronger story-wise and performance-wise from not only Lord, but also Warren Oates (who is a real d-bag in the first par of the episode) and the guest cast, including guest stars Edgar Buchanan and Leonard Nimoy (as a crooked boxer who ends up going mano a mano with Lord). The plot concerns a conflict between the rodeo gang and a police-sponsored boxing match run by a shady police commissioner. Clever, interesting and suspenseful story, nice Dominic Frontiere musical score, great photography, and of course strong performances. As a bonus, the episode ends with a preview of the next episode (I wish more shows on DVD retained these).

This show was a blind buy for me, and is shaping up into being a hidden gem.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Jeff*H said:
Gary, I know that your Western preferences (like mine) run more towards shows that were shot outdoors on location rather than on Hollywood sets and backlots. You'll be happy to know that STONEY BURKE seems to have a lot of outdoor scenes that add to the show's authenticity. Interior sets are mainly limited to scenes set inside buildings. Production values definitely seem to be pretty strong for this series. some nice music cues, too, by Dominic Frontiere, I believe. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Great to know, Jeff. Thanks! I have no doubt I'll love this series. It may be a little while before I secure the set, but it will happen.

Gary "take care, my good friend - and keep the reviews coming" O.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Yes it is! Mr. Stevens latter went on to Universal Pictures to develop a number of television properties for them. He was truly a very great man but it really broke his heart that he couldn't make a go of his beloved Daystar Productions.

Jeff T.

:D

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Also Picked it Up , probably not remastered but the prints are in great shape considering it's a little seen show. I noticed MGM's name with timeless on these, was it a co-production? Can't wait to start watching these and I noted some great guest stars like most 60's series.

Cowboy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
For any Jack Lord fans,Stoney Burke is a well done show.The dvd has sharp video and good stories.
I am on the second disc and the set was a good price from Deep Discount for $19 shipped and no
sales tax.

potnoodle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Will F
Cowboy said:
For any Jack Lord fans,Stoney Burke is a well done show.The dvd has sharp video and good stories.
I am on the second disc and the set was a good price from Deep Discount for $19 shipped and no
sales tax.
I'm not really a fan of westerns but Stoney Burke was a well done show with terrific acting and interesting stories. And like Stevens' signiture series "The Outer Limits", the production values are top notch thanks to the amazing array of talented people that signed on with his Daystar Productions.

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
It's really incredible that Stoney Burke and The Wide Country -the only two drama series based on the rodeo industry, as far as I know- came out the same year, and lasted exactly one season. And both are great, too. I find The Wide Country a bit more likeable, maybe because of the warm interplay due to the protagonists being brothers and maybe because I find Jack Lord too unemotional and heroic, although maybe that's because I still filter him through his long running role in Hawaii Five-O.
But Warren Oates mainly steals the series from under his feet.

Cowboy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
On Amazon today they have Stoney Burke for $15.99 as daily deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks