Stones...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Tillman, Aug 5, 2002.

1. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

I just pre-ordered Hot Rocks I & II from Amazon to start off with. How about you?

Amazon has free shipping > $50.

What about the other half of their catalog? Any chance of it making it to sacd?

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John, I haven't pre-ordered any of the Stones SACDs. I read awhile back that they would be sold in digipaks, which I don't like. As a result, I am going to wait until the SACDs hit the stores to see the packaging. Hopefully jewel cases will be coming.

The Stones later works are on the Virgin label, and I've heard nothing about Virgin releasing these titles on SACD. However, it would not surprise if Virgin were watching developments with the ABCKO titles very closely. If the ABCKO SACDs sell as well as everyone hopes, perhaps that will get Virgin moving with its Stones titles.

3. John Tillman

Yes, my audio shelving is looking kind of multi-packaged these days. Kind of makes you scratch your head and wonder where it is going, if you think of books for instance, they don't come uniform. I don't mind the digipaks though, I knew when we left the LP age the beautiful artwork was a thing of the past. My shelf is lacking in Stones representation, so as long as the sound quality is there, I'm in.

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Digipacks: [​IMG]
    I like them a lot ever since I picked up the beautiful King Crimson limited edition CDs. The covers of the 80s album, which are all one bright color with a graphic in the middle, looks much more striking in the gatefold packaging than the jewel cases. As for damaging it, just don't take it out of the house. There shouldn't be any reason to.
    Anyway... yes, Stones on SACD, how cool.
    So much Stones... and Star Trek: The Next Generation box sets to get... limited funds... what's a guy to do?[​IMG]
    NP: David Bowie

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I am going to start with the Singles Collection, which I do not own on redbook CD, and if I like it, move on from there.

Regards,

6. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Auuuuuuuuh, like, aaauh, I mean, what's a digipack? I preordered FLOWERS, LET IT BLEED, 12 x 5, and THE SINGLES COLLECTION from Elusive Disc. Are digipacks those plastic or cardboard boxes that have a plastic piece with a spindle inside? I'm an ignorant I'm afraid...

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rachael, yes, digipaks are the cardboard packages you mentioned. I don't like them. They wear out like LP covers. I have bought some CDs in digipaks in the past and have put them in jewel cases. The problem is that the booklets that come with digipaks are almost always glued in, so I can't put them in the jewel cases.

The recently remastered Peter Gabriel CDs were released in both digipaks and jewel cases. Hopefully ABCKO will do the same with the Stones discs. We'll know in two weeks!

8. Micahel C

Micahel C Stunt Coordinator

Keith, Initally, all will be digipak only. They will come in jewel cases sometime later. I read the original info which gave the time frame as to how long before they become available in jewel cases, just can't recall it right now.

9. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Thanks Keith![​IMG] I quess I already have about ten digipacks in my fabulous collection. Most of them are European imports. I don't mind them till the spindles start breaking...[​IMG]
    I'd rather have Jewell Boxes too. Best wishes!

10. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

11. Tiffany A

Tiffany A Stunt Coordinator

I bought FLOWERS, it is awesome. There are a couple of songs on it that I have never heard. Also, got my "Halloween...Oct 31st" tickets to the Stones concert at the Staples Center. I am very excited! [​IMG]

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rachael,

No problem.

Micahel,

I was thinking/hoping that the Stones SACDs would be released in jewel cases, and soon. Many CDs that have been released in digipaks have eventually been released in jewel cases. Examples include Sting The Soul Cages, Alison Krauss Forget About It, and the recent Peter Gabriel remasters. I figure ABCKO is releasing the Stones SACDs in digipaks for collectors, but jewel cases will come out eventually.

13. charles white

charles white Second Unit

a brilliant marketing move by Sony! release the ABKCO Stones catalog on SACD. I assume these will be only 2-channel SACDs.
    It would be better if Sony would put these discs out in dual layers(CD red book compatible) for those us not ready for the hardware upgrade.

14. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Charles, Sony isn't putting these discs out. They're ABCKO titles. They will be hybrid SACD/CD discs. You can play them on any CD player or SACD player. So get a couple... Best wishes!

15. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

16. John Tillman

Guess there will be no satisfaction next Tuesday... Long as Ruby shows up the following Tuesday, guess we can't always get what we want or something like that [​IMG].