Stones SACDs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark_Waldrep, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Mark_Waldrep

Mark_Waldrep Stunt Coordinator

I spoke my partner in Hi-Res Music today regarding the Stones SACD releases. He purchased a couple and told me that there is no indication on the outside of the packaging that they are DSD recordings or that even that they are SACDs! Additionally, they were simply placed in the Stones bin alongside the regular CDs.

The verbage on the inner sleeves elevates the CD tracks to the same quality level as the DSD tracks. It seems that these products are really being sold for the hybrid portion...to Stones fans without any real hype about the SACD portion. It's curious that they would be so stealthy about the new format.

Can anybody confirm this observation?

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mark, it is true that the Stones hybrid discs make no mention of SACD on the outer package. There are relevant logos on the discs and that's it. These discs have been marketed as remastered Stones CDs by ABCKO. This is why they are located in the CD section. The original ABCKO CDs (released in 1986) are now out of print.

3. Micahel C

Micahel C Stunt Coordinator

Mark, I read appx seven different forums daily and this topic has been discussed repeatedly in all of them. If you listen to the pro-sacd camp, the idea is that most consumers will buy these as cd re-masters only. Since they are hybrid, they will play on any cd player. This gets them into the hands of consumers who hopefully will discover the benefits of sacd sometime in the near future and upon realizing that they already have sacd's at home, will upgrade their equipment accordingly and buy more sacd's.

Presently, there are very few stores that carry sacd's and many of those that do, don't do much to advertise the fact. By releasing the Stones as unlabeled sacd's, they ended up in many stores (not to mention websites) they wouldn't have otherwise.

My take on this (and I'm not alone here) is that the Stones re-masters were a major undertaking and an expensive one as well. This being the case, it was extremely important that these sell well in order to recoup costs. Selling them as standard remastered cd's gave them the best chance for a marketing success. Had these been labeled as sacd's like normal, the average consumer (who doesn't have a clue as to what a sacd disk is) wouldn't have bothered purchasing them. This would have limited sales to those individuals who actually know what sacd's are and although there are some that would argue this, the release would have been a financial failure.

Bottom line to all this, is that these re-masters have been very successful. However, I personally believe that sales would have been just as good without the sacd layer. Whether or not there will be any benefit to the sacd market remains to be seen.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Micahel, excellent post. The "hi-rez camp", of which I am a part, has bought the Stones remasters for the SACD capability, but one has to think that the majority of consumers have no idea what SACD is or that these discs have SACD capability. It's hard to even argue that SACD is a bonus for the consumer when it is not even advertised. I agree that the Stones discs would likely have sold very well without the SACD capability. If there were no SACD capability, I still would have bought the remastered version of Hot Rocks 1964-1971.

5. Micahel C

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Micahel, yeah, it's about the music first for me. Sure, I am delighted that the Stones remasters include SACD layers. However, a remastered CD of Hot Rocks 1964-1971 would have been great anyway, given the lousy quality of the 1986 ABCKO version. I just love the Stones. Even after getting the hybrid version of Hot Rocks, I bought a used copy of the original London version on CD. It's great music.
    Surround-sound tracks would have been nice on the Stones discs, but my main interest is stereo anyway. As a Stones fan and a completist, I will eventually have all 22 titles. For now, I just have Hot Rocks, and I am enjoying it immensely.
    By the way, ABCKO can always reissue the Stones' catalog on multi-channel SACDs. It's smart marketing. Get everyone to buy the 22 titles twice! [​IMG]

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

8. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

9. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

10. Micahel C

11. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

12. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

13. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

14. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

15. Micahel C

16. Justin Lane

17. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

The cheapest Sony DVD-player with SACD capability is the 250.00 NS755V which is hard to come by in places like Best Buy and Circuit City. This has been one of many things that has me baffled regarding Sony's marketing of the SACD format. Why not include this capability on the sub 200.00 players and replaces the SCD-CE775 with a new similarly priced changer that consumers will take notice of. I really don't know what's going on with Sony's marketing, but they really need to get things together if they want SACD to survive.

Reg

btw, what's up with these new integrated ES DVD-SACD/receivers. Does Sony really think these integrated products will cause consumers to take notice of SACD. Again, Sony has me dumbfounded.

18. Justin Lane