What's new

Stones, part II (1 Viewer)

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
I stumbled on most of their Virgin stuff at Costco today while on a Monsters, Inc. run. It was all priced at $10.99, I picked up Sticky Fingers & Exile.

TomCW

Second Unit
Walmart had Hot Rocks (Abko SACD) for $30.99, I wonder if they edited out all the naughty bits...;)
Tom

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, that's the second-rate Stones stuff. I mean, it's only on CD. :D
Seriously though, did they have Tatoo You? I have the original version and would like to pick up the remastered disc.
Hopefully Costco will get Forty Licks in cheap in a couple weeks.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Seriously though, did they have Tatoo You? I have the original version and would like to pick up the remastered disc.
Yes. These are the re-mastered Virgins which sound very good. I've just listened to Sticky Fingers and hope to get to Exile on Main tonight.

I was lacking the Stones in my collection prior to the SACD's so for me these re-masters are great. Maybe I'll get some duplication when Forty Licks comes out but thats OK as Sticky/Exile/Tatoo/Some Girls are albums one should have. Anyway, for $10.99, I'm in.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, thanks for the info. I see a trip to Costco in my future. Yeah, I need food. Yeah, that's the ticket. :)

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Whoa! Exile on Main St is one fine double album for $10.99... Sounded like a very clean recording as well. I'm going back for more.
Totally off topic: While listening to Exile, I was watching a HD version of the Heist on HBO (my wife gets pissed when I watch TV w/no sound - but hey it's Friday night :)) which turned out to be a nice film with an intriguing girl who turns out to be - Rebecca Pidgeon.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, I will definitely have to make a Costco run. How is Rebecca Pidgeon as an actress? I know she was in State and Main, but I have not seen it yet.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
John, if you want to make a point to your wife, get Barefoot Jerry's album WATCHIN' TV (it comes packaged with another of their albums YOU CAN'T GET OFF WITH YOUR SHOES ON in a 2 original vinyl albums on 1 CD set, See For Miles Records, SEECD 466), then play the song WATCHIN' TV (WITH THE RADIO ON) over and over loud!
It's a terrific album of country rock too. These guys were studio musicans in Nashville and most of them played on stuff like BLONDE ON BLONDE by Bob what's his name...?;) First they formed an all-intrumental band called AREA CODE 615 and then they wanted to sing too. They then morphed into Barefoot Jerry. See For Miles Records has all 6 of their albums on 3 CD's, in case you get addicted. Best wishes thar kuntry boy!

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
John, if you want to make a point to your wife, get Barefoot Jerry's album WATCHIN' TV
Thanks Rachael, I remember Mungo Jerry and even Jerry Garcia but Barefoot Jerry escapes me. I do like country stuff, so thanks! I also have Blonde on Blonde sacd, so I am somewhat familar.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
John, several of the Barefoot Jerry players also performed and recorded with Neil Young under the name: The Stray Gators.
Some lyrics from WATCHIN' TV WITH THE RADIO ON >
watchin' TV with the radio on,
the picture's stille there but the bad news
is gone
listen to the guitar playin' I don't care what Cronkite's sayin' ,no,no.....
Cronkite is in it because it's a 1974 album.
John, getting back to the gist of this thread, The Rolling Bollo's...
I suspect we'll see their later albums go to SACD in the next year or two. Virgin controls most of them, if not all of them, and they've been dabbling in SACD. I bet they want their portion of the catalog to sell like ABKCO's...? I think that I would not go out and buy too many of the present CD releases. I'd play wait and see. You should get Barefoot Jerry though!:) Also, if you don't have The Meters buy one of their albums. The Meters were the Stones favourite band. They used to pay them $50,000 to pay their parties. They would send a private jet to New Orleans to pick them up too. Best wishes!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, thanks for the information. Next time I am at Blockbuster, I'll rent State and Main. Aside from Rebecca Pidgeon, I've always been a fan of Gene Hackman.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
John, several of the Barefoot Jerry players also performed and recorded with Neil Young under the name: The Stray Gators.
HA! Not only do I have em' now in the form of Harvest, I'll be picking up the DVD-A in couple/few weeks :). Check out the back cover of Harvest and theres a picture of them. The notes say Young performed the album wearing a back brace because of a chronic back ailment. Damn, how can one make such good music in pain? Ouch.
What does this have to do with the Stone's? Well the Stone's, Neil Young, The Stray Gators and maybe Barefoot Jerry were all making great music in 72' - so there.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
John, The Allman Brothers jump-started their career by copying The Meters' song CISSY STRUT. The Meters were the Stones favourite band. Therefore you should try The Meters funky R & B sound. ;) Barefoot Jerry is pretty good too....Best wishes!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Paul, I think the subject of this thread is how determining the subject of a thread can be confusing. ;)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
;) Guyz, I'm not confused! I'll be glad to give everybody a list of recommended albums by:
The Meters
The Rolling Bollos
Barefoot Jerry
Neil Young
Crazy Horse
other recommendations available by request!
John, play wait-see on the other Rolling Bollos.....my crystal ball sez there is a hi-rez future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks