What's new

Stones--only 11 titles on Tuesday (1 Viewer)

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Picked up four out of the eleven this afternoon, and am just starting to listen to them now (regular CD layers, as I don't have any SACD players--yet). Haven't done any comparisons yet between the remasters and the 1986 versions yet, but they already sound much more dynamic to me. . .

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Picked up Hot Rocks ($22.49) at a new BB today (day 1 for the store). I've listened mostly in my car and was very impressed with the clarity of it all. Very crisp without being overly bright.
I am scad enabled and listened shortly to the first couple of tracks before skipping out to Ruby Tuesday which used to sound kind of muddy to me. Muddy no more, these songs sound great! Hope to listen more tonight.
The new BB was impressive. Layout centered around the new DVD section which was broken up nicely into categories such as music/drama/comedy/collections etc. They all had their own racks, not shared running into other categories. The racks were a new system which were quite nice. Sadly, I still had to get down on my knees to view the DVD-A/DTS section :angry:.
The music section was good but impressive only because it was well stocked. The Stones are in the normal Redbook section mixed in with old versions (only found Hot Rocks, Aftermath & Beggars.
Later...

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Man, how are you people getting these so early?!
I feel like such a lowly commoner having to wait for Tuesday.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Man, how are you people getting these so early?!
I work at a Best Buy. We got them in yesterday, and I went ahead and put them out (and bought the four for myself) today, since we had them advertised as 8/20 releases (I had already written a raincheck for Metamorphosis, actually). Plus, our computer still listed 8/20 as the release date, and there was no 8/27 sticker on the box, so I figured they were safe to put out.
(Plus, I've been waiting for these things for months! :D )

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I might head to a Best Buy tomorrow to see if any Stones discs are out on the shelves. I saw nothing at one Best Buy last night (Friday).

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, I just noticed that you got Hot Rocks at a great price. I didn't think Best Buy would have it that cheap. Do you know if that is the normal price or is the new store having some sort of "Grand Opening Sale"?

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Think the normal price of Hot Rocks 1964-1971 is $29.99-I believe its on sale this week (ending tomorrow/Saturday night) for $24.99.

I mentioned in an earlier Stones SACD thread that the single discs would be $12.99 each--it looks like they're actually going to be $14.99 each, so I was either mistaken initially, or the prices were changed at some point.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Matt said:

Think the normal price of Hot Rocks 1964-1971 is $29.99-I believe its on sale this week (ending tomorrow/Saturday night) for $24.99.
Did you mean Sunday night? Today is Saturday. Nevertheless, how can the sale end before Tuesday, when Hot Rocks 1964-71 officially hits the shelves? Are you talking about a pre-order sale online?

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Yeah, Saturday night/tonight is what I meant. Sorry--long week! :)
Sales usually run from Sunday morning (or Tuesday morning, for new releases) until Saturday night of that week.
Regardless of what happened with the delay, Hot Rocks was advertised as being on sale starting on Tuesday 8/20. The price should be back up to $29.99 starting tomorrow, unless they decide to run another sale on it (which may or may not happen--I have no idea).
Not talking about any type of online pre-sales.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Keith, looks like I lucked out and caught the $24.99 sale plus another 10% off all music purchases :). My receipt states 'coupon 10% off any music & mo'. I also bought Help! which completes my 15 Beatles albums & Moondance Van M. Didn't realize there was a sale on, otherwise I would've bought more. The store was stocked pretty well, even the sacd section looked good, although I didn't see any hybrids there. Glad to have a BB in the hood'... had to go 20 miles previously.
I played the first HR disc through on the sacd layer. The Stones really were a tight band back then, it is much easier to listen to these songs now. Jagger's vocals and especially Watts's beat REALLY come through. Hard to explain, a much cleaner sound yet the life of the recordings has not been sucked out. Very much alive, whoever did this work knew what they were doing.
I also played the second disc (sacd layer) through dinner and could only hear from the next room. Got up a couple of times to hear the guitar work on Gimme Shelter and the sax in Brown Sugar, can't wait to play it through tomorrow. The only negative thing from my point of view is the live version of Midnight Rambler as opposed to the studio version, but that is being picky. This is great stuff, I'm sure others will start chiming in as these discs are released.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, you made out very well on Hot Rocks. Well done. A Best Buy opened near my parents in Philly a couple of months ago, and it is laid out like the one you described. As a much newer store than any others in my area, it had some SACDs when it opened that the older stores never received. I was (stupidly) optimistic that this new store would continue to stock new SACDs, but no. Anyway, I'll be heading over to a Best Buy on Tuesday to snag some Stones discs. I don't like digipaks, but I'll look past them to get the Stones on SACD.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I got worried that I wouldn't be able to find better prices than BestBuy's online prices so I placed a big pre-order for:
The Singles Collection
Their Satanic Majesties Request
December's Children
Beggar's Banquet
Let It Bleed
Aftermath (UK)
Between The Buttons (UK)
Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out

Single discs are $12.99 and the Singles box is $39.99. Free shipping, although I had to pay sales tax. All are listed as On Order in my order status.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I ordered the Aftermath UK and Between the Buttons UK CDs from www.deepdiscountcd.com for 12.97 each, free shipping and no tax (for me anyway). I've never received anything from them before but I have ordered from deepdiscountdvd so I assume they're also ok.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Looks like the regular prices on the BB website is the sale price from the stores. I went back to my new BB this morning hoping to find more selection but no such luck. Hot Rocks-1 back to 29.99 with one copy available.

I did grab some coupons while there which give 20% off Sep 4,5,6 & 7 for cd's or movies. The coupons state valid for B&M's only with no other sale items. Not clear if these were there because of the new store, so check your local BB's if you go there.

MattCPT

Stunt Coordinator
Guys,
Don't get mad. I love the Stones, but I don't have any of their cd's. I'm familiar with the songs that are often played on the radio. I recently bought a SACD player and I'm very interested in buying some of their music for the first time. I looked at the 2 Hot Rocks and the Singles Collection SACDs as a place to begin. I recognize and like just about every song on Hot Rocks #1, but I don't recognize 95% of the other songs found on Hot Rocks #2 and the Singles Collection. I'm tempted to just buy Hot Rocks #1. I have two questions first.

1. For someone like me who hasn't noticed any other songs except for the ones on HR #1 is it worth buying the Singles Collection when I loose the song "Under My Thumb" (one of my favorites) to get a bunch of songs that I don't know for more money?

2. I saw someone post that their will be another SACD with a collection of 40 songs including some of their newer ones. Does anyone know what songs? or when it may be released? I would love to have songs from HR #1 and their newer songs like "Anybody Seen My Baby" and "Your Love Is Strong".

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I saw someone post that their will be another SACD with a collection of 40 songs including some of their newer ones. Does anyone know what songs? or when it may be released? I would love to have songs from HR #1 and their newer songs like "Anybody Seen My Baby" and "Your Love Is Strong".
It's called Forty Licks and comes out on October 1. I don't believe there has been any track listing announcement as of yet, but it's supposed to be from their entire career, with 4 new tracks. Seeing as those two songs were hits, I would think they'd be on there.

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
There has been no indication that Forty Licks will have a SACD layer. I would be very surprised if it does.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
It turns out that all 22 have come out! The only problem seems to be that distributors only got either 1 group of 11 or the other, and then only half of THAT order. The distributor that my friend uses only got the 11 I described earlier and has been unable to get the others, but the distributor that The Wiz uses got the OTHER 11. They have been in sale there since Friday as part of their going-out-of-business sale (I guess it doesn't matter much to break street date if you are folding up!).
So maybe the're NOT yanking your chain!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Larry, thanks for the information. No stores I was in over the weekend, including The Wiz and Best Buy had the Stones discs. The Wiz store I was in is closing shop, and the cashier I spoke to said they he doesn't any new releases of any kind to be coming in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks