Stones--only 11 titles on Tuesday

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Larry Geller, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

I'll be getting them tonight, but the distributor already has them & it turns out that only half of them are coming out this week:
    Out Of Our Heads UK
    Big Hits (High Tide And Green Grass)
    Aftermath US
    Aftermath UK
    Between The Buttons UK
    Their Satanic Majesties Request
    Beggars Banquet
    Let It Bleed
    "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!"
    Hot Rocks 1964-1971
    Metamorphosis

In other words, mostly the ones without the Stereo vs. Mono questions (like Now or December's Children), where the masters were in 1 place instead of scattered throughout Chicago, LA, London, etc.

BTW--What's with the huge "Button" title on Between The Buttons? They're on the far left & right bottom of the cover, like the current US CD, instead of on Charlie's jacket, where they have been erased---so much for "Painstakingly replicated...capturing the look and feel of the original LPs!" Why not just have a sticker, like on Banquet, Satanic & Hot Rocks and give us the REAL cover?

BTW BTW--Anybody who gets the US Aftermath or US Buttons (with the exception of total completists) should have their head examined.

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

3. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
  4. Larry Geller

5. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

OK, but if you are wrong, you have to buy all of us a copy of Aftermath (UK). Deal? [​IMG]

6. Larry Geller

Well, I certainly was wrong about them not being on SACD (see previous embarrassing post), but I'm not wrong this time. Deal![​IMG]

7. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Alright! I'm torn between not knowing which ones to buy and not being able to afford the ones I want. This sucks. Maybe I should start a SaveKaryn.com type of page: www.GregsDisposableIncome.com !

8. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Hah! I don't care because I was already set to buy Begger's Banquet and Let It Bleed next weekend anyway, so I'm getting what I want anyway. And that's the most important thing.

NP: Sting, Nothing Like The Sun

9. Larry Geller

10. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

Eh, even if this turns out to be true (and I imagine it is), it looks like four out of the five titles I'm planning to get are on the 8/27 list (Aftermath-U.K., Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed, and Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!). The only one that's apparently not coming out next week is The Singles Collection-The London Years, and, since the Singles set is going to be nearly $40 alone, my wallet will definitely be happy for a delay there. And, most of the stuff I want is on the other four discs, anyway. . .

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

12. Tyler T

Tyler T Stunt Coordinator

Well, if this is true, than it certainly is somewhat good news. That is, speaking for my wallet... [​IMG]

13. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

14. Emil Stoica

Emil Stoica Second Unit

The rest will be out on 9/4/02

15. Larry Geller

OK--I now have 9 of the 11 discs (all but High Tide & the US Aftermath), and , on the whole, they sound amazing! Aftermath has a solidity to it that I've never heard before, even on my UK vinyl. It also seems to be the only place we're going to see Mother's Little Helper in stereo (unless it's also on Flowers), since it's STILL mono on Hot Rocks (even though it was stereo on the original UK CDs).
    Out Of Our Heads UK is ALL MONO---even Heart Of Stone (which IS in stereo on Hot Rocks---if you thought these releases would end the confusion--guess again!). Now, if the US Out Of Our Heads & December's Children CDs have stereo content, then this will be OK, but if they won't, then this just sucks. She Said Yeah STILL sounds as if it was recorded in Andrew Oldham's bathroom.
    Satanic absolutely sparkles---great separation & interesting silvered cover---not 3D, but nice nonetheless.
    Packaging, however, in no way has the feel of the LPs--unlike the perfectly done Virgin special editions. And what's with the dual quarter-moon tops & bottoms of the back covers that totally obscure much of the artwork? Beggar's Banquet is especially bad in this aspect--the old CD showed more of the legendary bathroom cover & had more correct color.
    Also, anybody who is buying all 22 to get the entire Satanic puzzle---forget it! I got THREE Walk Through The Sleepy Citys, TWO The Last Times, and TWO The Lanterns in my nine discs---they just seem to be randomly thrown in there (& since there's nowhere to hold them in, they just fly out of the CDs anyway--very poor planning).
    Metamorphosis is just a straight transfer of the UK LP---all weird reprocessed stuff is still that way---still good to finally have it on CD!
    On Hot Rocks, why the hell is Play With Fire still mono, when a perfectly good (and not strange like Satisfaction) stereo mix was on the old UK CD? It still looks like stereo is being begrudgingly let out as little as they could get away with.
    Last & certainly least, EVERY CD has the following nightmarish credit: "Additional Analog to Digital Transfer: Jon Astley & Pascal Byrne"
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!

16. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Larry,
    Thanks for the review. Sorry if this is a dumb question or if you answered it already but did you listen to these on a CD or SACD player?

17. Larry Geller

Not a dumb question & I forgot to say---regular red book CD player. (The only person I know who has a SACD player is my mother-in-law!)

18. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

I think it's time you stop by the mother in law's house with a fine bottle of wine and some flowers...let her know that you're taking over the sound system for the weekend.[​IMG]
    Seriously,
    I'm very curious about the SACD qualities, not so much so the Redbook, as this catalog may be the reason I buy an SACD player...so if you get the opportunity, unless of course she's many miles away[​IMG]
    Jeremy

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeremy,
    I was thinking the same thing. Larry needs to make a trip to the mother-in-law's. [​IMG]
    Larry,
    So, you are heading to your mother-in-law's when? Today? Thanks! [​IMG]

20. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    ElusiveDisc sent me an e-mail indicating only 8 of the albums were coming out this tuesday, with the rest of the lot a week later. They were offering those who preordered, like I did, the chance to change their shipping options.