Stones---NOT on SACD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Larry Geller, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

I have just heard from a usually reliable source with connections to Polygram, that the new Stones reissues will NOT be on SACD, just on CD! Apparently, Sony, for God knows what reason (probably Allan Klein not wanting to pay the royalty for SACD to Sony), will not permit them to come out. God, I hope I'm wrong about this, but this guy is almost always right about such things, so I am very nervous.

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Larry,
    I find this very hard to believe seeing as Sony has posted the ABKCO Rolling Stone release in bold print on its own Super Audio News Site.
    Go to www.superaudio-cd.com and click on news heading!
    I don't believe this until I hear the official story of retrenchment. I does not feel right.

3. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Seems like your source may be mistaken as they have already begun the mastering...

4. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

I don't want to beleive this either, but NEVER underestimate the ability for Allan Klein and/or Andrew Loog Oldham to screw up a good thing!

5. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Get your source to put out a press release then I'll believe it.

6. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

Oh Christ, the title of this thread made my heart skip a beat.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Larry, I hope your usually right source is wrong on this one. If the Stones SACDs do not materialize, this will be huge blow for the format, especially if word gets out that Sony is the bottleneck.

8. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

I hate to keep sounding this way but nothing, absolutely nothing, surprises me when it comes to Sony.

That's the reason why I'm sticking with DVD-A for the near future.

9. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

Can we *please* not turn this into a SACD vs. DVD-A flame war? Thanks.

Considering the publicity machine has already been cranked into high gear for this, it seems to me all the details are locked in. Sony was even using the Stones stuff as demo material at HE 2002. If it falls through, I'd lay the blame solely at the feet of Abkco, not Sony. Allan Klein has screwed up a good thing far too many times in the past.

The only upside to this development (in the surprising event it turns out to be true) would be that it would save me a lot of money in August.

Ryan

10. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
  11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ryan asked:

12. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
  13. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

It's not that I don't like Sony. They make some fine A/V equipment. It's just that they have a checkered past when it comes to backing formats.

I think we can all agree on that point.

14. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

15. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

Bigger than Betamax at this point? Hmmmmmm............No!

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Al,
    One can certainly argue that Sony has not done the best job marketing its novel formats over the years. That's fine. However, you made a statement that because of Sony's past history with new formats, you are sticking with DVD-Audio. I felt compelled to balance the discussion, in the interest of objectivity, with the fact that Warner is doing no better in supporting DVD-Audio. Let it be known that I have challenged people coming from the opposite vantage point as well.
    Jack,
    So you know, reliable sources tell me that a friend of a friend woke up last night in a bathtub full of ice with one kidney removed. It must be true! [​IMG]

17. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

I'm not defending Warner at all.
    I can't believe that one of these huge conglomerates can't just open an extra large can of whoop ass on the other and claim some sort of dominance in this assinine format war.
    At this point, NONE of us are winning.

18. Micahel C

Micahel C Stunt Coordinator

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Al,
    I understand your frustration, believe me. I feel Sony Music and Warner could be doing a lot more to support SACD and DVD-Audio, respectively.
    Micahel,
    Very well said, and I couldn't agree more. I have made the same point on the heavily SACD-biased Hi-Rez Highway board on Audio Asylum many times. Those folks bash DVD-Audio constantly, but hey, with a minimal investment in DVD-Audio, I am hearing the best digital versions of Steely Dan Two Against Nature, Fleetwood Mac Rumours, and Eagles Hotel California, among others. Some people are so heavily allied with one format that they have, in essence, made a conscience decision to deny themselves the ability to enjoy great-sounding music on the other format. It is supposed to be about the music, isn't it? [​IMG]