What's new

Stone floor--what to do about the sound system? (1 Viewer)

RobR

Second Unit
I'm moving into a new place shortly and it has stone floor in the living room. I'm wondering how detrimental it might be to the sound system (my current apartment has carpeted floor). Does anybody have stone floor and the sound system plays fine on it? If not, would placing a rug in the living room help or do you know of a good solution?

Scott Hayes

Second Unit
My parents house has hardwood floors in the living room and stone floors in the kitchen/dining room. The floorplan is open with stone half walls seperatin the room. My dad had some trouble with echo. They hung on the walls some hand stitched antique rugs a relative had made and put some throw rugs on the floor, it helped somewhat plus alot of pillows on the sofa and loveseat. Eventually they put on an addition and relocated the TV and stereo.

RobR

Second Unit
Thanks, Scott.

I just learned it's actually slate floor, not stone floor. Does that change anything? I'm going to try purchasing a rug to put in the room if the system sounds weird in the new place.

Scott Hayes

Second Unit
As far as I know slate is stone, but i am not sure. Seems to have the same surface.
My father is an audiophile, one of the reasons for the addition was to put the stereo in a better spot. He is not into the home theater but he does have some serious money invested in music listening. He had a friend who owned and later sold a recording studio in Chicago. He got his gear from him.
Not that it was horrible but he never really conquered some problems. No matter what he did the music sounded bright. Although the echo was controled there was still odd reflections of sound depending upon were you sat in the room. He also could never find the sweet spot until he relocated everything to the addition.
As far as throwing down a rug, that will help but I think you are going to need more than that. I just called my father and asked him about it and anything else he may have done. He said to fill the room with anything you can find that absorbs sound, pillows, rugs, ottomans, put up a bookcase and fill it with books, and get some nice (as he called it) art rugs persian or handcrafted to hang on the walls. Also as I am sure you know use rubber feet for your sepakers.
Now one thing to remember, my parents house has an open floor plan so that was also part of the problem. If your place is not that way you will have better luck.
I hope this helps you out. Nothing is worse than sitting enjoying your gear but not being able to get the sound right
Gave my Dad some grey hairs.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks