Stomach problems

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Justin_S, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

For the past two months or so, I've been having pain in my stomach, lower abdomen, and my sides. While my sides ached a little every now and then, it got much worse after I had gotten over a very bad virus that caused me to vomit every couple of minutes. I had to go to the hospital and get an IV put in me to stop the vomitting and to get rehydrated.

The first evidence of the stomach pain came when I was eating dinner one night. My stomach started hurting pretty bad, and I immediately thought it might be an ulcer. The stomach pain continued after that, so I started taking Prevacid. While it seemed to help at first, it started becoming less effective as time went on. I also started thinking it may not be an ulcer after all since I'm having some sharp pain in my sides as well, sometimes made much worse by laying on the side that hurts at the moment. I'm not an expert on the subject though, so maybe ulcers can cause pain in the sides as well?

Recently, the pain has increased a considerable amount, though the increase could be due to my deep worry over the situation. I have been an avid worrier ever since I had my first panic attack in December of last year, and when I get some kind of pain in my body, I can't help but dwell on it, and this dwelling has given me stomach aches in the past. My worry is that the pain could be stomach cancer, and that absolutely horrifies me.

The stomach pain is quite erratic. Sometimes just eating a small amount will hurt it, and other times it'll hurt when I'm hungry. The main areas of pain seem to be in the upper part of the stomach and right around my belly button. My abdomen hurts every now and then too, while my entire lower sides hurt quite often.

My mother works in a doctor's office, and she brought me some of those tests to check for blood in your stool. I took two of them, and both were negative. It hasn't stopped my fears in the slightest though.

Anyway, I definitely intend to see a doctor about this, but after my hospital visit for that virus and all the Christmas shopping I've done, I'm not going to be able to afford going to the doctor until at least mid-January. Thus, since the folks here at the HTF helped me make huge progress with my panic attacks, I just figured I'd try and get some input on this situation while waiting to get my cash flow back on track. To put it lightly, this has not been my year.

2. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

So a horror movie fan first has panic attacks and then various pains in and near the stomach. I wonder how many people on this forum will recommend various drugs and doctor visits rather than the obvious solution.

(flame suit on)

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

You do know that if something is spreading now and you wait, it may be too late to help you by the time you check in.

Please go now?

I'm not a doctor (disclaimer) but it sounds like some of your nerves might have whacked out. Do your sides sort of feel like you're wearing a girdle made out of chain mail?

Glenn

4. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Sounds to me like a gall bladder blockage. I say this, becuase I just had one.

Do you notice fatty foods cause you more problems?

5. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

Despite your recent expenses of the hospital visit and Christmas shopping, I am with Glenn in saying "Get thee to a doctor NOW."

The problem with the pain is that it is of unknown origins and unknown triggers. The anxiety is just going to exacerbate the problem, making it worse. It sounds like it is going into an increasing spiral with this already.

So, go see a doctor, and get the problem diagnosed. It might be something simple that can be taken care of, once it IS diagnosed - such as a food allergy, or stress due to work or other everyday factor. It might be something that SHOULD be taken care of as soon as possible. Find out - otherwise, your anxieties are going to make it worse, and make the treatment that much more prolonged and tougher - and expensive.

There has to be a way you can work something out with your doctor about payment if you are having a money squeeze. Maybe talk to your mom's boss about ways to get help? Maybe your mom can help you out?

6. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Justin,

I take it you do not have medical insurance due to your apprehension in visiting the doctor after recent expenditures. Your health is nothing to mess with, and no amount of money saved can outweigh the potential impact waiting may have on your health.

You mention your mother works for a doctor. Maybe he would be willing to take you on as a charity case, or agree to some sort of payment schedule for any services since insurance seems to be an issue.

Best of luck.

J

7. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I hope we persuade you to see a doctor ASAP as well. Definitely ask your mom to make inquiries with her employer. Perhaps all you would have to pay for would be lab costs?

8. Julia

Julia Stunt Coordinator

Hi Justin, I'm a Nutrition Consultant. This is definitely something you want to have a professional check out. What does the pain feel like? Burning? Stabbing? Dull?

The most commonly misdiagnosed condition in the United States is heartburn. Usually the pain that comes with that results from having too little stomach acid to digest food, not too much. Because products like Prevacid are available over the counter people often medicate themselves with this, not aware that they are obviously increasing the problem by reducing their stomach acid yet further. Most people over the age of 50 need supplemental hydrochloric acid to digest their food, and the age of onset for these problems is getting younger and younger. I've treated teenagers for this.

Try this when you eat:

30 minutes prior, take 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (organic, Bragg's brand is good). See if that helps. If it does, you may want to buy supplemental HCL (hydrochloric acid, I know it sounds scary, but that's what's supposed to be in your stomach) which you can purchase at any health food store or vitamin shop (except places like GNC, don't buy cheapo crap, it will just give you expensive pee). Follow the directions on the bottle.

You can also try digestive enzymes, Rainbow Light makes a good one called the Advanced Enzyme System or somesuch. Again, follow the directions on tthe bottle.

You may also want to supplement with probiotic bacteria to ensure that your digestive tract is functioning properly. The two kinds to buy are L. Acidophilus (Jarrow brand suggested, called "Jarrodophilus", I think) and B. Bifidum, also Jarrow brand makes a good one. Remember that these need to be refrigerated from the time they are manufactured to the time they go into your body.

Hope this helps you get a start, remember that doctors are really necessary, but also that they may not be trained in the modalities (such as nutrition, the average MD receives about 4 hours of nutritional training) you need to heal, so don't give up if they shrug at the tests.

9. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

We need another rule on the HTF rules page:

-If it's important enough to take the time to discuss here, then it's WAY too important to not take the time to see a Dr. about.Panic attacks take time to heal and Dr. visits aren't always the main cure. Stomach pain isn't the same thing. No amount of money is going to reverse the effects of letting it go till you have more money.

10. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Justin,

It's most probably not anything serious, but since it worries you and gives you pain, why not go to a doctor and get yourself healed from it?

Much of your trouble stems from your uncertainty about the cause of those pains, so why wouldn't you go and ask a professional - the doctor?

Cees

11. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Whilst I certainly agree with everyone's recommendation that you see a doctor ASAP, let me just chime in with apparently the largest cause of "stomach pain" in American males: trousers that are too tight.

I'm serious. It has applied to me as well: there have been days when I feel like I've got a stomach ache of some sort, but undoing the hook (or top button) of my trousers and releasing one notch of the belt relieved the pain shortly thereafter. Of course, I then had to go on a slight diet to get back down in size to fit the trousers again...

12. willyTass

willyTass Second Unit

i have the misfortune of being a doctor. your differential diagnosis
    1.Biliary Colic
    2. Gastroesophageal reflux
    3.Irritable Bowel Syndrome (essentially a form of madness or as more affectionately called in psychiatry, conversion disorder)
    4. Peptic ulcer disease.
    5. Sphincter of Oddi Spasm
    6.Gallbladder dysfunction- diagnosable by HIDA scan
    7. Pancreatitis

Julia Darling as a reformed health nut who, many years ago used to proclaim the miracles of alternative health, I will let you in on a little secret

Supplemental HCL/ acidophillus etc = monster cable

What the lunatics (or savvy businessmen depending on your point of view) who promote bifidus/ acidophilus are good at is telling you how great this shit is. Of course providing OBJECTIVE scientific evidence to support its health benefits is another matter.

Every thing you eat has trillions of bacteria on it. Once in our bowels they replicate without the help of the health food marketeers.

Of course what the health food/ vitamin industry don't tell you is that the real thing that destroys a man's health is unhappiness, bad sleep and lack of purpose in life. Stuff they can't sell you in a bottle.

13. Kevin Tx

Kevin Tx Extra

I had many of those same symptoms.
    Went to E.R. had cat scan done turned out to be a BAD case of diverticulosis.
    Ended up having 18 inches of my colon removed.Believe me when I say this wasn't pleasant.
    SEE A DOCTOR NOW.[​IMG]

14. Robbie R

Robbie R Stunt Coordinator

LOL [​IMG]

Thanks for putting that into a context we can all relate to.

15. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    Sounds like gallstones to me.

My wife had her gallstones discovered accidentally when she was getting an ultrasound scan done (she was pregnant). Sure enough, within two months of giving birth, the attacks came and the gallstones had to come out.

Men can have gallbladder problems too. Nowadays elective gallbladder surgery can be done on an outpatient basis. Good luck.

16. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Well, I decided to go to the doctor sooner after reading all your posts, so I went earlier today. I told him my symptoms, he felt my stomach, gave me some kind of green liquid to drink, and then felt my stomach again after the liquid had time to settle. He told me I had duodenitis and gave me some pills to take once a day for a month. I'm relieved that it's not something major.

17. JoeyR

JoeyR Second Unit

Joey

Thankfully its just dudeanosis j/k, no seriously happy you went to the doc and had it checked.

A few years ago(Im really a cheap person, I dont like doctors or hospitals because of the cost) I woke up at 2 in the morning and felt like someone had shoved a tennisball under the right side of my rib cage, couldnt lay down, couldnt sit up, went to the ER and they didnt find anything, did an ultrasound and they didnt find anything, ran some tests, it didnt find anything, so I never found out what was and is going on, I can go for months without hurting and go eat out and feel it coming on as soon as I finish but Tagament usually takes care of it, so I know its good to have something resolved

18. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

I'm glad you got help Justin. Believe me when I say that I feel your pain. I also have health issues--and they make my life a living hell at times. Every time I go to the ER to have something checked out, and they don't find anything it just drives me nuts. The last time I went I had a CAT scan for my head because of my chronic headaches, and all they found was a little-bitty spot which they thought might have been a stroke at some time--but wasn't causing the headaches. The funny thing is, that even though I still have headaches, they don't seem to be as severe as they used to be.

Before that I went in because of chest pains and they didn't find a thing. They're pretty sure it's acid reflux. The ironic thing is that it's got to be the ibuprofen that I take like candy that's causing the problems with my digestion. And man it gets bad sometimes. More gas than anything I think. As I'm sure you know it can do weird things to you. There are times when I swear I'm gonna have a heart attack because of the way it can effect the beat of my heart. My headaches have lessened some, but I think my digestion problem is getting worse. I've been getting pains lately that feel like a muscle strain, but i know it's the gas and acid reflux causing it.

Like you, I worry WAY too much and I know it. I'm sure the fact that my headaches aren't quite as bad has to do to the fact that I don't worry as much as I used to about them.

I also suffered from what the doctor said was a virus in the hepatitis family back in the early 90's. I remember setting in a booth in the break room at my job and just crying. I didn't work another day for a month after that. I'm pretty sure it was a nervous breakdown. I haven't been the same man since. I never touched so much as an aspirin before that, but now I don't go anywhere without my ibuprofen and rolaids.

Try not to let it get to you Justin. I know that most of the issues that I have are caused because of the way that I am. I'm trying to change and not worry and get so upset about every little thing. I do want to get insurance and find a doctor, but I'm beginning to think that I'd just be treating the symptoms and not the cause--me.

Hopefully you're friends and family will help you to deal with your issues. Don't be afraid to lean on others when you need help. That macho shit only goes so far. Try to enjoy life no matter what your situation because you'll never be happy if you keep asking "what if". And one last piece of advice I'll offer (something that I'm slowly beginning to realize myself)--one of the best things you can do for your mental health is to help others. You'd be surprised.

*big hug*

19. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Are you sure you were not sleeping on a tennis ball? [​IMG]

20. JoeyR

JoeyR Second Unit

Joey

Yeah it sounds crazy but thats the best way to describe it[​IMG]