What's new

Stinkers By Great Directors (1 Viewer)

Ejanss

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
David Lean's stinker, Ryan's Daught.............*aaaargh* (Titch is bound and gagged and hauled off stage by incensed HTF members)

(looks around)
He means Ryan's Daughter. YIKES. :eek:

I must confess I've only seen the first Mission Impossible (1996) which I greatly enjoyed but had no inclination to explore further.

Which is good, as it doesn't GET any better after the series-friendly first one, and devolves quickly into a series of self-indulgent X-Games vacations for Cruise.
You're better off with the cool brilliance of the 60's series, now that it's on Blu.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
David Lean's stinker, Ryan's Daught.............*aaaargh* (Titch is bound and gagged and hauled off stage by incensed HTF members)

I love Ryan's Daughter! In fact, David Lean would be a good candidate for a director who's never made a stinker! I will confess however that while I admire and respect Lawrence Of Arabia, I've never warmed to it. I can watch it and appreciate its artistry but I'm removed from it. I can never get involved in it the way I do with Bridge On The River Kwai, Doctor Zhivago and yes, Ryan's Daughter.

Reactions: PMF

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
So you should be "bound and gagged and hauled off stage!" :) Your "stinker" is my "one of the greatest films ever made," a film I long for in high definition.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I can never get involved in it the way I do with Bridge On The River Kwai, Doctor Zhivago and yes, Ryan's Daughter.
And while his epics are special, I MUCH prefer his "smaller movies": the Noel Coward and Dickens films, Hobson's Choice, Summertime. I watch them much more often than any of his epics. To each his own, I guess.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
For me Scorsese's stinker is Wolf of Wall Street. First, its overly long. It makes its point and then beats it into the ground. But more than that its crude and juvenile.

I have no problem with R-rated humor. But this felt like it was directed by a dirty old man. The scene with the spy camera in the teddy bear was particularly cringey.

And I also have no problem with constant bad language, in a clever or well written script, a la Mamet or Tarantino. But this film just felt like an infantile barrage of F-bombs.

It did have a few nice moments, like McConaughey's cameo, and DiCaprio's first sale of penny stocks. But not enough to salvage the film for me.
I thought that The Wolf Of Wall Street was one of Scorsese's best movies and proof that some people don't lose it as they age. That being said, to each their own blah blah blah :) but I saw the movie multiple times in the theater and one time, there was a really old couple behind me and I thought "They're going to leave this movie after 10 minutes" and I was very wrong as they both spent the entire movie laughing uproariously at the all sick and crazy things in it. When I'm 80, I want to be that dude.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
And while his epics are special, I MUCH prefer his "smaller movies": the Noel Coward and Dickens films, Hobson's Choice, Summertime. I watch them much more often than any of his epics. To each his own, I guess.

Oh, I like his small films, too. I only used the those three because they were comparable to LOA. And where does Passage To India fit in? Small film or epic? Or a little of both.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I thought that The Wolf Of Wall Street was one of Scorsese's best movies and proof that some people don't lose it as they age. That being said, to each their own blah blah blah :) but I saw the movie multiple times in the theater and one time, there was a really old couple behind me and I thought "They're going to leave this movie after 10 minutes" and I was very wrong as they both spent the entire movie laughing uproariously at the all sick and crazy things in it. When I'm 80, I want to be that dude.

I skipped Wolf Of Wall Street because my movie radar (which is about 90% accurate) told me to skip it. It's pretty good at sniffing out a movie I'm not going to like. For me, the 2000s have been very erratic as far as Scorsese is concerned. I disliked Gangs Of New York, The Aviator and the 35 minutes I saw of The Departed before I couldn't take anymore. Then a reprieve with Shutter Island and Hugo which I both liked enormously, skipped Wolf Of Wall Street on the advice of my movie radar, then the numbing Silence (which no one has mentioned and with good reason) which was torture to sit through. Skipped The Irishman (that movie radar again!).

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Hoo, boy, ain't that the truth! I'm sitting here reading these posts about films people think are stinkers or they can't stand, and I'm thinking, "I love that film. Boy, that one is great! I couldn't run that movie down if I tried."

We are a VERY eclectic bunch!

Well, it's true a stinker is in the eye of the beholder. I think that Gone with the Wind and Prometheus are total stinkers but because they are pictures that a lot of people like I would not classify them as stinkers in general because I think enough people like them and they had enough critical acclaim that calling them total stinkers does not reflect the reality of where the pictures actually stand. I can list them as films I think are lousy but that stands as just my personal opinion.

Some friends used to do a Festival of Flops where we would show films that were despised by both critics and audiences. Heaven's Gate, a film I love, qualifies as a "total stinker" in my book because both critics and audiences in the vast majority at the time rated it as awful. Same with Ishtar, total stinker. It's certainly a bad film but like Heaven's Gate I think people went into it with knives out due to the overblown cost and shenanigans in the making of it. I would not list Ishtar here in this thread as an example though because I do not consider Elaine May a "great director" so I don't think it fits with what Thomas was asking.

Basically, when you list a picture that a lot of people and critics like as a stinker...well...it may be that to you but the in the grand scheme it is not.

This is how I see it anyway. I also would not judge whether a film is a good or bad film just by what it takes in at the box office. I think all that shows is how many people may have seen it and the reasons for those numbers tend to often rely on more than the quality of the picture.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
For me Scorsese's stinker is Wolf of Wall Street. First, its overly long. It makes its point and then beats it into the ground. But more than that its crude and juvenile.

I have no problem with R-rated humor. But this felt like it was directed by a dirty old man. The scene with the spy camera in the teddy bear was particularly cringey.

And I also have no problem with constant bad language, in a clever or well written script, a la Mamet or Tarantino. But this film just felt like an infantile barrage of F-bombs.

But that's the way guys like that would really speak.

They're not especially clever guys, so why would they "talk clever"?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Well, it's true a stinker is in the eye of the beholder. I think that Gone with the Wind and Prometheus are total stinkers but because they are pictures that a lot of people like I would not classify them as stinkers in general because I think enough people like them and they had enough critical acclaim that calling them total stinkers does not reflect the reality of where the pictures actually stand. I can list them as films I think are lousy but that stands as just my personal opinion.
I'm inclined to agree with your quoted comments. I'm pretty sure that each of us have movies we consider stinkers, but, based on popular opinion and/or critical acclaim are probably not considered so, despite our personal opinion that says otherwise. Hell, I even think the opposite is true for each of us in which a movie(s) that is considered a stinker by consensus opinion and/or critical acclaim, is not considered a stinker by our individual opinion. I love/like plenty of movies that are generally considered stinkers. The subjectivity in film appreciation has no bounds!

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I'm inclined to agree with your quoted comments. I'm pretty sure that each of us have movies we consider stinkers, but, based on popular opinion and/or critical acclaim are probably not considered so despite our personal opinion that says otherwise. Hell, I even think the opposite is true for each of us in which a movie(s) that is considered a stinker by consensus opinion and/or critical acclaim, is not considered a stinker by our individual opinion. I love plenty of movies that are generally considered stinkers. The subjectivity in film appreciation has no bounds!

Yes, I love a lot of "stinkers" too. Heaven's Gate, the Johnny Depp Lone Ranger movie, William Friedkin's Deal of the Century...these are pretty much thought of as awful but I enjoy them and feel no shame in doing so. :lol:

Sometimes a picture clicks with you and in general if it does it probably does with some other people too. Does not mean everybody will like it and that just fine. I don't think people should get upset if someone dislikes a picture you enjoy.

I do admit to paying more attention to stinkers by directors I like because if I think a film has gone wrong I like to try to figure out why and what I think may have happened.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I am much more fascinated by a bad film when a director is given everything he/she could possibly need to make at the very least something good and they turn out a film that totally stinks. These types of films I will obsess over for a while because I am far more curious how it went to hell.

I think the writing is usually one of the keys. If you start with a weak foundation then you are already in trouble. I love Ridley Scott as a director but having seen all his pictures save for one, he is very much at the mercy of what he gets for writing. The guy could make watching a herd of flatulent elephants with the runs look beautiful but if that is what he is given to work with...well...making poop look pretty only goes so far.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I didn't buy a moment of Cruise's performance in Born On The Fourth Of July. It was pure Oscar bait (it worked, he got nominated). The Cruise keepers for me are Magnolia and Eyes Wide Shut.
Hmm. Well I guess I'm a sucker cause I bought it hook, line and sinker.
The others you mention are great also. Especially Magnolia where playing a megalomaniac seemed as natural as breathing to him. Very good performance.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I watched Destry Rides Again for the first time last week. What the heck took me so long! It's a brilliant comedy-western with both Marlene and Jimmy Stewart in fine form. As well as their supporting cast.

In my humble opinion, Dietrich was robbed of an Oscar nod for Witness for the Prosecution.
Yes, I love a lot of "stinkers" too. Heaven's Gate, the Johnny Depp Lone Ranger movie, William Friedkin's Deal of the Century...these are pretty much thought of as awful but I enjoy them and feel no shame in doing so. :lol:

Sometimes a picture clicks with you and in general if it does it probably does with some other people too. Does not mean everybody will like it and that just fine. I don't think people should get upset if someone dislikes a picture you enjoy.

I do admit to paying more attention to stinkers by directors I like because if I think a film has gone wrong I like to try to figure out why and what I think may have happened.
In the last 10 years i would pick The Lone Ranger as the worst film i have ever seen.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
In the last 10 years i would pick The Lone Ranger as the worst film i have ever seen.

Absolutely, and you would not be alone in that. It's fairly well despised. I don't blame anybody for hating it. I enjoy it for what the director is attempting to do in it and of course people can debate how much or how little he succeeds. It pays tribute to a lot of old films I love in a genre I love as well as to old silent film comedy. I had a blast watching it. I would in a way compare it to Shutter Island in that it seems to me to be a movie about movies as much if not more than it is about the actual subject matter of the film. I think these pictures show directors with a real love of the history of filmmaking at work.

I was not really judging The Lone Ranger as a Lone Ranger film but more as a tribute to making movies. So, those people that complained about it not being a "Lone Ranger" movie I'm sure had good reason to feel that way. I also just love sitting in a theater and watching films set in the old west roll across the screen. I admit and acknowledge my bias. Also, I was not a big fan of any previous Lone Ranger material prior to going to see Verbinski's picture so probably went in without certain expectations. I admit too to really enjoying Verbinski's last picture A Cure for Wellness, also a flop I think, but I loved it as the kind of big gothic horror film Hammer might have once attempted.

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'm inclined to agree with your quoted comments. I'm pretty sure that each of us have movies we consider stinkers, but, based on popular opinion and/or critical acclaim are probably not considered so, despite our personal opinion that says otherwise. Hell, I even think the opposite is true for each of us in which a movie(s) that is considered a stinker by consensus opinion and/or critical acclaim, is not considered a stinker by our individual opinion. I love/like plenty of movies that are generally considered stinkers. The subjectivity in film appreciation has no bounds!

Then of course, there are movies that you know are stinkers but like/love them anyway as opposed to not considering it a stinker just because everyone else does. Sometimes stinkers are just more "fun" that "great" movies. If I prefer The Carpetbaggers to Lawrence Of Arabia, it's not because I think it's a better movie or that LOA is a stinker (it clearly isn't) but simply I derive more pleasure from TC than LOA. Does this mean I have to turn my cineaste card in? ;)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
F-that. :) The end sequence of The Lone Ranger is amazing and makes that segment of the movie worth watching. I'd recommend that anyone watching it skip the first two hours (!) though.

I think the 2013 "Lone Ranger" is less a "bad film" and more a "boring film". It's too long and too convoluted and too dull.

It's not a movie I can work up the energy to hate - it's just blah!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobbadave
Recent bookmarks