What's new

Sting's Sacred Love is a stale, lazy album. (1 Viewer)

Darren Pillans

Second Unit
I feel 'Sacred Love' is EASILY Sting's weakest album (including The Police).

It lacks passion and intensity. It sounds lazy. Most, if not all of the songs are repetitive, drawn out and lack any great melodies. He no longer sounds like he's SINGING anymore. He almost seems to talk to a beat. Listen to 'Dream Of The Blue Turtles', 'Nothing Like The Sun' and 'The Soul Cages' to see why I'm so disappointed.

I think some artists are too prolific for their own good and I wonder if Sting recorded 'Sacred Love' out of plain habit. I wish he was fussier with his track selections and took a little longer compiling this album. His albums have grown progressively worse since 'Ten's Summoner's Tales'.

Look at Peter Gabriel, his latest album 'Up' took ten years and it shows. It's as good as anything he's ever done.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I think someone else may have started another thread to bash the album.

No one I know likes it.

I myself tried to get into Sting's solo stuff but just couldn't.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
For me, Mercury Falling is his weakest by far. I agree that there is nothing new on this new one, but I do enjoy listening to it...maybe more than Brand New Day. I can't stand Mercury Falling--there are songs on it that are just awful.

There is some good stuff on Sacred Love, but it had to grow on me for sure. Watching the documentary helped a bit, and I'm still a sucker for 5.1.

Objectively, I find Soul Cages to be his best work, although my favorite will always be ...Nothing Like the Sun

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
How fresh could he possibly sound at this point in his career?
Darren's mention of Peter Gabriel is one instance that demonstrates this doesn't have to be true.

Age ain't nothin' but a number. I could list artists who made relevant, exciting, and new music later in their career all day.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Yeah, Rachael, I'm gonna have to play the Peter Gabriel card, too. As well as the Joe Jackson, Pete Townshend, David Bowie, and Elvis Costello cards.

But give Sting a break. I haven't heard the album, but inspiration is not a constant. Let the guy have a bad album and move on. He has certainly earned the right to a pass.

kamyiu

Stunt Coordinator
he sang with the backstreet boys. he let good-ole puff daddy rape "every breath you take" and even sang the bloody song with him. he hasn't done anything remotely interesting since the soul cages. he's a vh1 poster boy. he has an aol commercial. credibility = 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks