Still the best?!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kip, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Kip

Kip Stunt Coordinator

Peeps,

Allright. I've been reading these forums for weeks, and it's time to unload. Please give me some room. I can't wait for your feedback.

I have all the major systems hooked up. XBox, GameCube, PS2, Dreamcast, and even an N64. I've got an incredible home theater set-up with a Sony XBR400 36", Sony V555ES Reciever, and Polk Audio Speakers. Great bass. Great surround sound. I point this out only to state that the XBox, PS2, and GameCube sport the finest connections available. All Monster component and (for the XBox and PS2) Monster optical as well. (Gamecube is Nintendo component.)

BTW: The XBox sound cannot be beat!! Good lord.

On to my point. I am not a fanboy or specific system lover. I've pretty much owned and enjoyed them all. Here's the thing. It's 2001. Both the XBox and Gamecube have just launched with some nice games (Halo and Rogue are very sweet). So, why when I pop in Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast through the VGA adapter am I still blown away. How in the world does a two year old (dead) system still have an original launch title that competes with the big boys? Nothing I've seen from Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft beats the Dreamcast through VGA. How sad is that?!

Seriously; Rayman 2, NBA and NFL 2K1 (2), Skies of Arcadia, and of course Soul Calibur are STILL arguably the best titles in their genres. How did we let that system die? Please don't get me started with Shenmue...

How did the developers get so much out of that old PowerVR chip? I'll play the heck out of Halo and DOA3. Can't wait for the next Mario and am lovin' Rogue. MGS2 is the total bomb. THPS3 (PS2) is from the heavens...But yet, I still miss the Dreamcast. Go figure. :-(

Out...

Kip

2. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Good question, I bought this system when it dropped to $150 and was at the top of its game. Shenmue, 2k1s, Jet Grind Radio, Tony Hawk 2. The library crapped all over the PS2 launch.

So how much of the DC dying can be attributed to the PS2? Was PS2 expected to be released that soon or did Sony really jump the gun to head off DC? If DC would have flourished that winter without competition, would it have regained strength or just put off the inevitable? Was it doomed from the start? I'm very interested in an unbiased answer (and Morgan can answer too).

3. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

5. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

6. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Newly manufacturered Dreamcasts will be coming to North America. This system is far from dead. I just hope a few developers continue producing software.

7. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

I like games, but I also like money too.

There was no way I was going to give SEGA my money. If I'm going to spend money on a system, I want to get at least 4 years out of it.

I knew the Dreamcast was going to fail and it did...2 years after its launch no less.

I got a good 5 years out of the PlayStation and I expect the PlayStation 2 to last a natural console life span as well.

XBOX...we'll see. Not forking my money over there yet...not until I see that it's actually going to be around for the next 4-5 years. The specs are nice, but specs don't guarantee success.

Gamecube...I think Nintendo will always be around. My son is getting one for Christmas.

8. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

Jerry,

So why did you buy the PSX then? What made you so sure that a newcomer to the console market would last 5+ years? If you really were that cautious, you wouldn't have bought a PSX.

There's also no real way of knowing if a console is going to last for a 5 year span or not, until that time period is up. So I guess your best bet would be to not buy any console ever, because you wont ever really know if it will last 5 years until 5 years has past.

What made you so sure the Dreamcast was going to die early? It's people with these kind of assumptions that caused the Dreamcast to die early.

"Dreamcast wont last, so I'm not going to buy it" Then two years later, when everyone has made this assumption and not bought the system, of course it died.

9. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

Before I made my buying decision on the PS1 back in May of 1996, the PS had a big lead over the Saturn and it had all the games that interested me. That's how I knew the PS1 had better staying power than the SEGA SATURN. And I know its a tired argument, but the 32X was fresh in my memeory too.

10. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I am so excited that the Dreamcast will continue on, matter in fact Friday I am going out and buying my THIRD unit! I already have one in the living room and one in the bedroom, the third I will keep in the box as a future replacement if one of the others goes out.

11. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

12. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

I've got my Dreamcast hooked up through a VGA adapter as well and all I can say is wow. Only annoying part is the game must be written specifically to support it. For example, Bangaio by Treasure, won't run. Then there the behemoth of them all, Phantasy Star Online. I got this game the day it came out last year, over 200 hours later I'm still playing it!

13. ChrisV

ChrisV Second Unit

I just took advantage of the recent drop in price of the Dreamcast to 70 Canadian dollars. I'm enjoying the hell out of it so far, but have been unable to locate a VGA adaptor for it as of yet. Of course, living in a hick Canadian town doesn't help, so it may be time for some internet ordering, or at least a trip to Vancouver.

Still fun though, even running through composite to my TV. My PS2 has been getting dusty lately.

14. Anthony_J

Anthony_J Stunt Coordinator

I still love my dreamcast. Soul Caliber definitely hangs with the new kids on the block, and truthfully, NFL2K1 or Jet Grind Radio don't look that bad, either.

I guess the real benefit in GCN or Xbox is the ability to output progressive scan for games, 16:9 capability in the software, and surround sound. Without the equipment to support these features, though, the difference in image isn't enough to get excited about.

I'm not talking from experience, but I have played Rogue Leader and NHL Fever on the crappy Best Buy displays and didn't see a huge difference when compared to my Dreamcast at home, or the one in the Dreamcast display. You can tell the potential is there, but you really need the hardware to exploit it.

Of the two games, I'd say that NFL Fever looks a little better on a standard RCA connected/interlaced display. The details in the movement are amazing. I wasn't terribly impressed with Rogue Leader or Wave Racer when I saw them (for example, the explosions still looked pretty cheesy).

Still, as much as I love my Dreamcast, I chose to buy a friend an Xbox and Halo for Christmas, even when it cost 4 times more than a new Dreamcast, Soul Calibur, Crazy Taxi, and Jet Grind Radio combined.

I'm sure my opinion would change if I saw both sytems in 16:9, progressive scan, surround sound glory.

I think Sega's lack of marketing and support killed the Dreamcast. It didn't have the money to throw around, and it was afraid of putting its resources behind a losing proposition. With the company in the bad shape it was in, it couldn't afford another loser.

I think it was a good decision for them to get out of hardware. Sega knows their talents and they should only concentrate on the things they can do really well.

15. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Anthony, neither the GCN or the X-Box have progressive scan capabilities. That really sucks!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Jeff, yes they both do. [​IMG]

17. Romier S

Romier S Producer

The Dreamcast is by far my favorite system. (The PS2 is getting close though[​IMG]) I just wished they would have released a new Streets of Rage game. I would kill for that!

18. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The DC isn't my favorite console, but if I liked sports and racing games at all, it probably would be.

If you look at it based on its variety of games, then its good. But if you look at their caliber, not so much. The Nintendo 64 had games that were genre defining, revolutionary, or just plain perfect, but it gets less recognition than the DC. While it had a great library of games (not including ports, spinoffs, or sequels) it still lacked something. The PlayStation had Final Fantasy, the Nintendo 64 had Mario/Zelda, but what did the Dreamcast have at its launch? It had Sonic, but it wasn't exactly a groundbreaking title like everyone hoped it to be and the sequel didn't fix it much, either.

My point is that the DC was a great console, but not the best. It had many flaws (as did other consoles).

19. Kip

Kip Stunt Coordinator

Morgan, not revolutionary? The Dreamcast brought online gaming to the console. Until you've gone online with the San Francisco 49ers and handed a good old fashioned passionatte ass whipping to the loud mouth Cowboy fan in Texas, you haven't lived! Those who have experienced NBA and NFL2K(1&2) know what I'm talking about.

Plus, going back to launch games, Soul Calibur is still arguably the best 3D fighter ever released.

Kip

20. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Kip,

I don't think there is any argument about Soul Calibur....it is hands down the best 3D fighter ever released.