Still somewhat unimpressed...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Bill_Weinreich, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

Well it's been a while for me on this forum, but I felt the need to see if it's just me, or are there others who are not completely impressed with the digital technologies? Let me start off with my first experience with HD. I was in a high end a/v store and they were running a loop of some of the first broadcasted HD material on a Runco 9" projector. I was simply in awe. Even at a foot away from the picture, I felt as though I could put my hand right into it. Simply amazing. Ever since, nothing I have seen has measured up, which has kept me from leaping into the HD world. Now I understand that a $1500 display cant measure up to $150k worth of video equipment, but there are some things in particular that bug me. For the most part, it would be what I would call "shade transition". Where, especially in dark, foggy scenes, there is no blend to the shading and you can see a definitive outline to each gradient. I'm not blaming this on HD displays as much as the HD sources, although to me it seems more pronounced on digital displays. I can still see it clearly on my CRT RPTV (only on digital cable channels), but pixelation isn't as pronounced to me. I would wager that most of these issues are due to video compression. But are we to assume that this is just the way it is? I for one certainly hope not. Am I the only one??

Sorry for the bit of the rant, or if this has been covered..

PS.. I see Runco has a new $250k DLP projector... maybe thats what I need to regain my faith [​IMG]

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

If you want to rave about a 9inch CRT projector, well you're not alone most everyone would agree it's going to be pretty much as good as it gets.

As for contouring/banding issues, this is usually source or processing related issues, there shouldn't be really any visible banding problems on a good digital setup. It often can be content related as well.

If you are looking at higher end digital displays, I think they fare quite favorably against the classic reference of the 9-inch CRT projector, such as 1080pLCOS machines. In my opinion, 720p DLP doesn't do it without something like an IMX lens to blur the pixels. But thankfully, 1080p DMD chips are on the way. Of course, there is still the issue of on/off contrast limitations on digital displays, which has not yet reached CRT capabilities.

And as far as being impressed with the 9-inch Runco, you should be, because that's a Barco Cine 9, which along with the Sony G90 and the Marquee 9500LC, are basically the best CRTs you'll find anywhere.

3. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

I own a 52" Tosh DLP and a 55" Mits CRT but I have to wonder how long before CRTs disappear like turntables and LPs?

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

last time I checked vinyl is still produced, along with TTs...

I actually suspect that CRT will go completely faster and more thoroughly than vinyl (which hasn't yet by any stretch). And I say this from a CRTer's perspective.

There will be some continued use for simulators and some HTers will be using them for a long time, but I don't see any consumer stuff hanging around for decades.

5. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

I should also include tube amps and sure vinyl and turntables are still made but they are not very easy to find like years ago.