What's new

Still no word on PEANUTS Feature Films-Paramount? (1 Viewer)

Chuck L

Screenwriter
While next months release of the first collection of 25 books based on Sparky's creations, it seems that a perfect tie in would have been to release at A BOY NAMED CHARLIE BROWN or the even more popular SNOOPY COME HOME.

What is the hold up on these titles? Since the rights for those two films are no longer with Fox, but with you, it seems that cross promotions would be great for this. (Aside from that, isn't Snoopy Come Home available down under? Why not in the states?)

Jo_C

Second Unit
"A Boy Named Charlie Brown" and "Snoopy Come Home" were originally Cinema Center Films. CCF was later acquired by CBS. In the 1980s, Fox entered a distribution partnership with CBS, thereby creating CBS/Fox Video (which continues, by the way, due to its current licensing deals for two Rodgers And Hammerstein films, "South Pacific" and "Oklahoma").

When CBS merged with Viacom (which shortly before acquired Paramount Pictures), the CBS video library (except for "South Pacific" and "Oklahoma" and the DVD rights to "My Fair Lady" and "The Twilight Zone") went to Paramount, because CBS is also now a sister company to Paramount. So at this point it is now Paramount that holds the video rights to "Boy" and "Come Home".

I really have no idea if Paramount plans to release these two films at this time, though anything can happen since Paramount themselves made several Peanuts films after "Come Home", leaving the door open for perhaps a box set of the Peanuts films.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
They made 2, but the condition of the films may be an issue. You wouldn't want them to come to DVD looking poorly.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I would also like to see the following released...

- A Boy Named Charlie Brown
- Bon Voyage Charlie Brown, And Don’t Come Back!
- Race For Your Life, Charlie Brown!
- Snoopy, Come Home!

There's no excuse to be issuing DVD's of mediocre television specials with rehashed storylines which broadcast last year, when these classic Scultz productions have yet to see the light of day in digital format. These should be among top priority for Paramount's Peanut home video franchise.

MORE CLASSIC PEANUTS ON DVD!!!

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

Actually they made 4 movies, and if the condition was a problem, some of the specials Paramount released on DVD in the past year wouldn't have made the cut (none are awful, but some of the transfers were mediocre at best. Not that I'm complaining, either, but I don't think the condition is a problem, given the standards they set with the earlier Peanuts DVDs).

Paramount owns the rights to all the Peanuts movies, so let's see them sooner than later!!

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
Whenever Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown (1980) gets released, it must come with it's 1983 epilogue special "What Have You Learned Charlie Brown?".

The movie was deliberately left open-ended so that a follow up could be done.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Rob, that's also my favorite Peanut movie. It aired on Teletoon a few months back and I hadn't seen it previously in over half a decade. I hope HTF schedules an upcoming chat with Paramount because I really want these on DVD!

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I saw Race For Your Life, Charlie Brown in the theater - I loved the scenes with Snoopy riding a chopper motorcycle. Only years later did I realize these were a tip of the hat to Hopper's Easy Rider.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Holy cow, I remember crying like a girl at Snoopy Come Home when they were all walking around in a circle and that sad music was playing. :frowning:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Sorry to bump this old thread, but search is useless. On Race For Your Life's wiki entry, it says:

The film was released on VHS and was the first release on RCA's defunct Capacitance Electronic Disc Capacitance Electronic Disc#Milestones. It was also released on March 23, 2010 on DVD by Paramount Home Entertainment/CBS Home Entertainment on DVD, part of the Peanuts Pictures series, along with Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown (and Don't Come Back!!).
I see nothing on Amazon. Is this a damned lie?

On a side note, if you have HDNet Movies, they're showing BON VOYAGE CHARLIE BROWN in high-def in May. Certainly will be better than watching my old laserdisc transfer, lol.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'm surprised no one asked about the movies at the WB TV/Animation chat.

And I don't know whether this has any effect on any existing DVD deals, but Iconix has acquired 80% of the Peanuts brand with the Schulz family getting the other 20%:

http://www.emii.com/Articles/2475451/Capital-Markets/Capital-Markets-Articles/Iconix-Buys-Peanuts-Brand-For-175M.aspx

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised no one asked about the movies at the WB TV/Animation chat.
I though I read somewhere that Paramount still controls the theatrical films. Can anyone confirm?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks