What's new

Still no sign of Let It Be on Blu? (1 Viewer)

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Today Jan.30 is the 50th Anniversary of the Beatles rooftop live performance ! Jan. 30, 1969 ! : ) Very Glad too hear about Peter Jackson working on Let it Be. : ) 2020 will be a Excellent year for us Beatles Fans !!! : )

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Peter Jackson is making a new documentary using the footage shot and audio recorded during Let It Be. I'm just guessing but I think that's going to get released in the inevitable 50th anniversary box set (and Let It Be will remain on the shelf).

https://variety.com/2019/music/news...les-film-using-let-it-be-outtakes-1203123465/

Guess we can't have our cake and eat it too.

The Peter Jackson documentary sounds great, but of course, we would all love to own the unedited version of LIB

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Peter Jackson is making a new documentary using the footage shot and audio recorded during Let It Be. I'm just guessing but I think that's going to get released in the inevitable 50th anniversary box set (and Let It Be will remain on the shelf).

https://variety.com/2019/music/news...les-film-using-let-it-be-outtakes-1203123465/
Considering the recent Beatles, Wings and Lennon super deluxe box sets that include every little scrap they could find I find it highly doubtful that a 50th anniversary box set of Let it Be would not include both the new Peter Jackson version and the original cut of Let it Be and probably many extras and leftover footage. There is suppose to be 50+ hours of footage.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Considering the recent Beatles, Wings and Lennon super deluxe box sets that include every little scrap they could find I find it highly doubtful that a 50th anniversary box set of Let it Be would not include both the new Peter Jackson version and the original cut of Let it Be and probably many extras and leftover footage. There is suppose to be 50+ hours of footage.

Randy, we are all rooting for you to be right on that.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Guess we can't have our cake and eat it too.

The Peter Jackson documentary sounds great, but of course, we would all love to own the unedited version of LIB
They mentioned in the article that the original film is getting a release, but only after the new one comes out. This is a fairly unique situation where we'll get to see how two directors, using the same pool of footage, determine the tone and throughline of a documentary through editing choices. I can't wait!

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Had to look on Ebay for the laserdisc release and prices range from $100 to $465. I have a player but not going to pay that kind of price. I will wait!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The original film is part of the project. A restored version of the Michael Lindsay-Hogg film will be included in the release of the Peter Jackson project.

A restored version of director Michael Lindsay-Hogg’s theatrical release is set to finally get its belated digital release, “following the release of this new film,” according to Apple’s announcement.

I'm willing to bet the original film is included in the inevitable blu-ray release. (Hopefully on another blu-ray, and not a letterboxed DVD like the original Star Wars films!)

This is great news. I knew McCartney was never happy with the original film, and this way, we get both a new film by one of the great directors of our time and a restored film that we all know and want.

You can see Apple's press release here: https://wogew.blogspot.com/2019/01/...f0MC3xkp99Juec9NIrRoMZ91-XnWZjfsB0dtRhTB_IfBc

That blog also has an informative timeline of Let It Be on DVD - all the false starts, up to today.

EDIT: Thinking about it, I think the press release suggests a theatrical release of Jackson's film (no doubt in 2020), followed by a blu-ray release that includes both films. Recall that Ron Howard's Eight Days A Week movie got a theatrical release followed quickly by a blu-ray. (BTW, we are still waiting for the stunning films of Shea Stadium, some of which were in Howard's film and on the Beatles 1+ blu-ray.)

Last edited:

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Following the release of this new film, a restored version of the original Let It Be movie directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg will also be made available.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
The original film is part of the project. A restored version of the Michael Lindsay-Hogg film will be included in the release of the Peter Jackson project.

I'm willing to bet the original film is included in the inevitable blu-ray release. (Hopefully on another blu-ray, and not a letterboxed DVD like the original Star Wars films!)

This is great news. I knew McCartney was never happy with the original film, and this way, we get both a new film by one of the great directors of our time and a restored film that we all know and want.

You can see Apple's press release here: https://wogew.blogspot.com/2019/01/...f0MC3xkp99Juec9NIrRoMZ91-XnWZjfsB0dtRhTB_IfBc

That blog also has an informative timeline of Let It Be on DVD - all the false starts, up to today.

EDIT: Thinking about it, I think the press release suggests a theatrical release of Jackson's film (no doubt in 2020), followed by a blu-ray release that includes both films. Recall that Ron Howard's Eight Days A Week movie got a theatrical release followed quickly by a blu-ray. (BTW, we are still waiting for the stunning films of Shea Stadium, some of which were in Howard's film and on the Beatles 1+ blu-ray.)
Supposedly it’s Olivia Harrison that has been holding up the release of the original film because it’s negative and her and Yoko were the ones that wanted a new film that doesn’t show the bitterness. What I hope is that PJ does it justice and gives a 360 view of that period. Beatlefans already know what happened, all 4 Beatles talked about it. John was on H and in one interview during that time on You Tube he looks like he is about to throw up, so I don’t want it whitewashed. Give me the fun and the pain and as Lennon wrote Gimmie Some Truth. Now for Let It Be, I know The Beatles’ Apple owns the film, but please please please have the original United Artists Transamerica logo at the start.

Last edited:

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Brian, They did not have the UA logo at the start of Yellow Submarine, or Help! So don't expect to see it on Let it Be. Apple Films with the green apple for sure. I would be very,very surprised if the UA logo shows up. I'm sure the Bluray release will look Amazing ! Finally ! : ) Can't wait to see it.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Brian, They did not have the UA logo at the start of Yellow Submarine, or Help! So don't expect to see it on Let it Be. Apple Films with the green apple for sure. I would be very,very surprised if the UA logo shows up. I'm sure the Bluray release will look Amazing ! Finally ! : ) Can't wait to see it.
It will look amazing. I can finally get rid of my bootleg.

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I have full faith that Peter Jackson will do justice to what he has available for Let It Be.
But as with all A/V releases there will be people who can't be pleased.
Odd that as a life-long Beatle fan, I've never seen Let It Be.
My own personal preference would be to have an Abbey Road box release first but since Paul McCartney
took interest in their legacy, the re-releases have been uniformly excellent.
Believe me, Paul has been the driving force behind everything since Anthology.

The combination of the album & the film versions make it a supremely appealing release.
As always I will happily pay for whatever ultimate set is released.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I saw Let it Be in the theater during its original, very short, US run. I was rather underwhelmed. I watched it on youtube a year or so back. No change in opinion. Yet... I'll purchase a copy when it comes out - both the Jackson version and the original because I've been a fan of their music since I first heard them in the winter of 1963. "I Want to Hold Your Hand" had just come out. Dad was Chief Engineer at the local radio station (oddly enough with a Country format at the time) and they got the 45 in a stack of demo discs. He thought my sister and I might like it so dubbed it along with the 4 other 45 singles they'd received onto 1/4" audio tape for us. He had a Wollensak portable reel-to-reel at the house that we'd put on the carport to listen to the tape. For the next few years he'd save up any new singles they got and make copies for us when he got about a half hour's worth. We just about wore those tapes out.

woll12.jpg

By the time Let it Be came out we kids were pretty tired of all the infighting stories and the Yoko situation. We were expecting something more like HELP! or A Hard Day's Night but got this film about a rather dysfunctional group of musicians. It was OK... but... Little did we know they'd be broken up shortly.

The album "Let it Be" was the first album I purchased.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Odd that as a life-long Beatle fan, I've never seen Let It Be.
Me neither.
I was at a convention in 1985 here in Hamburg/Germany, and they played it then. But I didn't watched the whole movie ... :eek:
I just didn't know better back then.

My own personal preference would be to have an Abbey Road box release first but since Paul McCartney
took interest in their legacy, the re-releases have been uniformly excellent.
Too bad they started with Sgt. Pepper, so we won't see box sets of Rubber Soul and Revolver - two of my favorite albums, at least not so soon.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
50 hours? Fantastic!! And 50 hours for 50 years would be one Hell of an anniversary set; but, of course, that would never happen. So, yah; "yah, yah, yah"; I could easily dig a boxed set of both Peter Jackson's and the original "Let it be" as is.
No doubt, waiting for "Let it be" has, in and of itself, been its own long and winding road.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
By the time Let it Be came out we kids[...]were expecting something more like HELP! or A Hard Day's Night [...]
Well, I guess you didn't read the "Let It Be" posters in the lobby of your neighborhood theater;
for it's tag-line read as "An intimate bioscopic experience with The Beatles".
But, then again, even I didn't know what the heck "bioscopic" meant as a kid, either.:D

BTW, a very cool story and an even cooler dad.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Well, I guess you didn't read the "Let It Be" posters in the lobby of your neighborhood theater;
for it's tag-line read as "An intimate bioscopic experience with The Beatles".
But, then again, even I didn't know what the heck "bioscopic" meant as a kid, either.:D

BTW, a very cool story and an even cooler dad.:thumbs-up-smiley:
No such luck... The "lobby" was a smallish entrance with the concession stand off to the side. I don't recall ever seeing a poster inside. All posters were on the wall outside and we rarely noticed more than the title and what day it would be playing. Most movies were there for a few days at most with the "better" ones showing on the weekend with a Saturday matinee.

Well... he wasn't so "cool" about me wanting a Beatles haircut. :D

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks