What's new

Still no sign of Let It Be on Blu? (2 Viewers)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Just wondering after all these years there is still nothing (as far as I know) on a release of " Let It Be " on Blu?

Does anyone maybe have the answer as to why? :(
Never mind Blu-ray. LET IT BE (1970) doesn't even have a legitimate DVD release! :(

The last I recall hearing was that neither the surviving Beatles or Yoko were blocking LIB's release. Perhaps there could be other complications preventing a DVD/Blu-ray release?

CHEERS! :)

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Saw my only bootleg I have a few weeks ago and to me there is a scene or two where you see some friction between the boys but nothing that should give Paul a reason to hold off on it's release. I have a laserdisc player and have seen the lasers on Ebay for over $150 but will wait for a official dvd or Blu-ray release.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Saw my only bootleg I have a few weeks ago and to me there is a scene or two where you see some friction between the boys but nothing that should give Paul a reason to hold off on it's release. I have a laserdisc player and have seen the lasers on Ebay for over $150 but will wait for a official dvd or Blu-ray release.

Yeah I saw a bootleg copy of it 5 or 6 years ago and thinking "that was is" when it came to the friciton. The "worst" part of it was a mild butting of heads between George and Paul.

I get it wasn't the happiest time for the band, but nothing really all that shocking is ever shown.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
I am more concerned about the Anthology not being on Blu-ray. Also, there was a great documentary narrated by Malcolm McDowell, THE COMPLEAT BEATLES, that only appeared on VHS.

Something is blocking these releases. I mean, the demand is surely there.

I am not sure how the Anthology was recorded, was it done in HD do you know?

I agree, it must be down to rights issues or something over Let It Be, I think the legal side of the film has always been a bit of a mess.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am more concerned about the Anthology not being on Blu-ray. Also, there was a great documentary narrated by Malcolm McDowell, THE COMPLEAT BEATLES, that only appeared on VHS.

Something is blocking these releases. I mean, the demand is surely there.

I do not think we will ever see The Compleat Beatles on another home video format. It had some unflattering moments, and I do not think the remaining members or Yoko want to see it released again. I copied my VHS version to DVD many years ago so at least I have a digital version, but the quality is pretty bad on today's larger screens. I usually end up watching an MP4 version on either my phone or tablet instead.

I'm not sure if I would repurchase the Anthology if it were released on BD. I have the DVD set, and have not watched it in many years. If I do want to see it again, I think the DVDs would be sufficient for me.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Saw my only bootleg I have a few weeks ago and to me there is a scene or two where you see some friction between the boys but nothing that should give Paul a reason to hold off on it's release.

Isn't the "I'll play what you want me to play" thing between G and P in "Anthology"? I think it is but I can't recall for sure...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Scott,

Been ages since I saw THE COMPLEAT BEATLES.

What were the unflattering moments? I don't recall that.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Scott,

Been ages since I saw THE COMPLEAT BEATLES.

What were the unflattering moments? I don't recall that.

There were discussions about their drug use, their time in Hamburg, and the troubles during Let It Be that were not glossed over like happened in the Beatles-approved Anthology. I don't think anything is really horribly portrayed, but the Anthology is a more "Disneyfied" story, IMO.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I am not sure how the Anthology was recorded, was it done in HD do you know?

I agree, it must be down to rights issues or something over Let It Be, I think the legal side of the film has always been a bit of a mess.
It was produced by Apple Corps., Capitol Records, and Granada TV. Considering Granada TV did the bulk of the production I'd suspect new material was shot on either on 16mm film or video tape and likely posted on 1" tape, possibly digital tape but still PAL quality max. That pretty much negates a true HD release.

I last watched my DVD set last August. I thought it looked pretty good for a made-for-TV production.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
It's my understanding that George did not want it released and his family are respecting his wishes. It's unlikely this will be released. If it ever were I'm sure it would be in 2020 on the 50th anniversary.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
It was produced by Apple Corps., Capitol Records, and Granada TV. Considering Granada TV did the bulk of the production I'd suspect new material was shot on either on 16mm film or video tape and likely posted on 1" tape, possibly digital tape but still PAL quality max. That pretty much negates a true HD release.

I last watched my DVD set last August. I thought it looked pretty good for a made-for-TV production.
I still have my massive Laserdisc box for this and considering the source material I never thought it really worth upgrading to DVD. Plus the uncompressed audio on LD's is always superior to the compressed audio on DVD's. LD sound is equal to Blu Ray sound.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I'm almost positive that Anthology was edited on video, so it would be a massive undertaking to redo it. In fact, some of the material was shot on video. The Beatles haven't exactly been the best at taking care of their film assets, if the "1" set is anything to go by. Some looks spectacular and some looks like it's barely hanging on. I don't think we'll ever see an HD Anthology.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'm almost positive that Anthology was edited on video, so it would be a massive undertaking to redo it. In fact, some of the material was shot on video. The Beatles haven't exactly been the best at taking care of their film assets, if the "1" set is anything to go by. Some looks spectacular and some looks like it's barely hanging on. I don't think we'll ever see an HD Anthology.
I do seem to recall having heard about the Anthology sets being edited on videotape, as well. However, I'm thinking the straight up videotape recordings were mostly, if not all, from The Beatles' original television appearances, and not from the shot for the Anthology portions.

CHEERS! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks