Still more PJ questions...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by PaulDF, Aug 21, 2005.

1. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

I've been looking at the Panny 700 projector for quite some time now, but still have a lot of questions before I make the plunge....

I live in Canada, and I can't seem to find any Canadian vendors that sell the Panasonic 700, or the Infocus 4805/5000.

My budget is about $2500-$3000 CAD. I will need the PJ($2700), and 50 ft component and S-vid cables ($150 ish?).

I plan to shoot it onto my wall for now, until I decide what size screen I like best, and then build a wall mountable screen. And I plan to mount the PJ on a rear wall shelf or build some sort of hanging mount.

Also the issue of extended warranty ($200 ?). Have many of you 700 owners had much problem with the unit? Is it worth the extra money? I tend to think it is, since this is my single largest purchase ever on a HT item.

So this brings me to just over $3000. I would like to make sure this is the best I can do! Help?

My local Panny dealer (I live in a small town) has quoted me $2699 for the PJ and I think $200 for extended warranty. I would like to buy from them if at all possible, but if I can buy it cheaper somewhere else, I will.

I have also heard that closer to the end of the year is the best time to buy a PJ. New models are out, and prices go down on old stock... Any truth to this? Anyone know if the Panny will drop in price soon?

One more thing... My DVD player is an older panasonic model and not progressive scan. How will this affect my picture quality??

(P.S. after all this work, and negotiating with the wife, I'd better love this thing!!)

2. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

Any Canadians out there that bought the Panny 700? Where did you buy it and how much?

3. Dave Getson

Dave Getson Stunt Coordinator

There's a dealer around here (Glubes ) that sells the Panny for around $3500 - . Another one sells the Infocus for $1500 (Fidelis).

4. frankinG

frankinG Stunt Coordinator

Paul: the panny 700 in Canada should sell in the range of 3000$ cdn. or a little less depending on geographical area and vendor influence.

I have played with this projector for quite a while and the internal scaling with a 480i signal does nor even come close to my panasonic dvd s97 outputting 720p.

2699$ is good at this time, but who knows 6 months from now.

Personally, I have over 1000 hours on my 700 and no problems.[​IMG]

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Sorry if this is a dumb question..... Did you recalibrate your projector? The contrast and brightness will most likely be very different.

6. frankinG

The projector is conected by HDMI by the S97 and by a panasonic RP-91 on the component input. I have much different calibration settings for each input. The interlaced signal looks to have more video noise in the picture and not as 'smooth' an image as from the scaled 720p image from the S97. The RP-91 set to progresive mode through component still in my opinion does not look as good as the S97 scaled signal.

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I mean recalibrate when you went from the wall to the screen.

8. frankinG

Oops! Jumped the gun too quickly[​IMG]

9. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    audio video unlimited sells infocus projectors, including the 4805...

www.avu.ca