Still miffed at how Warner (mis)handled the _2001_ reissue.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Briggs, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Most people were not even aware this masterpiece of modern cinema had been making the rounds in 70mm auditoriums late last year. Here in Los Angeles, there was just a single one-by-three ad in LA Weekly.

New York fans got no warning whatsoever.

When MGM still owned the film, the studio would trumpet loudly any reissue--including its most recent prior reissue back in 1996.

What a blown opportunity: the chance to see a freshly struck 70mm print of 2001 with remastered sound--during the year of its namesake.

My question would be: Why did Warner even bother with the entire process or reissuing the film if it was not planning to promote it--even just a little bit?

Does the studio simply not care about this property? If not, then why not deed it back over to MGM? This film is simply too good to treat in so cavalier and apathetic a manner.

Thumbs down.

2. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

Jack, I had no idea you were a fan of this movie. [​IMG]

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    From what I've heard from when Kevin Smith was working on Superman Lives, the WB studio execs are morons.

This was the biggest screw-up in history. Never can 2001 be shown in 2001 again.

4. Rain

Rain Producer

Obviously I'm pissed, since the rerelease never happened in my area.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have made plans to get down to LA to see it.

I can only hope that the new 70mm prints are able to make it to the reperatory circuit, as I know a few theatres in my area that could make a nice night of it.

5. Bill J

Bill J Producer

It's a damn shame.

6. Ash Williams

Ash Williams Second Unit

This seems to be a problem with all Ted Turner owned entertainment properties. Although Warner is, a lot of the time, the first to jump on new formats (ie. DVD & DVD-Audio), thier interest soon fades. They rarely meet consumer demands such as Special Edtions, snapper case elimination and timely releases of catalog titles. Warner just does not seem to care if thier efforts make money. That is all I can think of as a reason. 2001: A Space Odyssey is just another victim. Warner could have made a fortune if they had released it nation wide last year. But no, they just chose to sit on it. All I can figure is that Ted Turner feels he has enough money, which is highly unlikely, and figures he doesn't need to waste time making more. I would have gladly went to 2001 if it had been in theaters, but instead I had to settle the DVD with no extras. But hey, it's better then nothing I guess.

7. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Um, Ash, When Time Warner merged with Turner, Teddy was no longer the man in charge and as part of the merger with AOL, Turner no longer has any control over his former properties, not the Braves, any of his cable channels, the film library, etc.

Turner hasn't been in charge for several years, and never ran things at Time Warner so you'll have to blame Gerald Levin or someone else.

8. Ash Williams

Ash Williams Second Unit

:b Sorry, I guess I just don't keep up with news like I should. It was just reasonable to assume the Ted Turner owned Warner. Opps.

9. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

My big beef with this was that the release was in the last two weeks in December-- when the entertainment industry pretty much shuts down and I was back in Ohio for the holidays.

10. Donald W

Donald W Stunt Coordinator

I'm upset about this also...it didn't hit Fresno but I would have went to SF to have seen it at the Castro where it played...I would have loved to have seen this but no I didn't get to

11. Lafe F

Lafe F Second Unit

I was upset that Warner did not include the Arthur C. Clarke Interview, 2010 trailer and long 2001 trailer on the remastered 2001 DVD.