Still love that old junker? Let's hear it!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DaveDickey, Jan 28, 2004.

1. DaveDickey

DaveDickey Stunt Coordinator

Remember your first car? Or, that junk heap that still holds a special place in your heart? Old car stories are great. If you agree, please post. Here's mine...

I had an Blue '76 Chevy Chevette in the late 80s. Talk about a time bomb. When it backfired, which happened with each tap of the gas pedal, it sounded like a Howitzer. BAM! We're talking a deep, loud, heart-stopping, BAAAAAMMM! I loved that thing. No intact windows, no heat, rock hard vinyl upholstery, and it had a grapefruit-sized hole in the passenger's floorboard. Upon sustained acceleration, the car would fill with exhaust (that's why I never bothered to fix the busted windows). It lasted a little more than two years. A college buddy hand-painted those Flying Tiger teeth on the front of it near the end of its life. It had a GREAT stereo though...priorities. [​IMG]

One day it backfired and the rear end caught on fire. It was a good way for her to check out. Shot down in flames. What a car!

2. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

1972 Ford Maverick (I drove it in the mid-80s). Olive green with black vinyl interior -- scorching hot in the summer and freezing cold in the winter. Sported a fine AM radio and no frills whatsoever. The 6-cylinder engine had so much torque that the car would yaw to the side whenever I punched the accelerator. What a beast. Sadly, she drowned in a flood.

3. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

My piece of junk was an '82 Ford Thunderbird. I drove it through my last two years of high school and all four years of college. It looked like a box on wheels. Everything that could possibly go wrong with a car went wrong with this car:

- multiple car accidents
    - a rebuilt engine
    - two radio/tape deck replacements
    - getting half a tape stuck in the tape deck (don't even ask! [​IMG])
    - drinking oil and gasoline every three days like I drink water
    - the rear windshield was shot out, twice (I lived in a neighborhood that by the time my parents and I moved had gotten pretty dangerous)
    - flat tires out the wazoo
    - numerous brake pad replacements

My current car I drive is a dream, but there are days where I miss that old T-Bird. Because everything went wrong with it, I called it "The Beast". The only thing I didn't have to replace in it was the steering wheel!

4. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

[​IMG] My ol' high-school junker was a 1980 Toyota Tercel. It was a bronze hatchback. Manual tranny, AM radio, not even an ashtray. [​IMG] I drove that l'il bugger into the ground...didn't care for it at all...and it still worked just fine.

Of course, I still have this ol' bugger kickin' around, but it's in pretty bad shape compared to this pic from a few years back...

[​IMG]

'88 Firebird. Sadly, the ol' girl is rusting to beat hell now, and the paint is shot. *sigh*

5. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

1974 Dodge Coronet was my high school beater. The only car I knew that had "hips". The rear wheel wells stuck out about 6", giving the impression of hips. Huge, heavy beast that drank gas and oil like a fish. But, one of the smoothest rides I remember, great suspension, especially at 50 mph through fields. Stock stereo which was not too bad, had some bass to it. I think she died in her sleep one night because she never started again. I sold her for $75 to some young kid. Don't know if it ever ran again.

6. Dave_Brown

Dave_Brown Supporting Actor

I had an old '78 Nova that my mom got for me for $250 when I was 16. The seller was asking $200 but wouldn't include the battery so we offered the $250 to include the battery. [​IMG]

Anyway, it was the puke brown two door rusted out piece of crap that first cars are made of. I bought it around November and drove it all winter and somehow survived. During the first thaw we discovered that instead of floorboard the passenger side was nothing more than plywood over rags stuffed in a hole! How we found out was I was driving through a puddle when my buddy says "something is hitting my feet..." and bent down to take look.
    When he pulled the carpet back this huge spray of water came flying up and nailed him in the face. It was like it was shot from a fire hose. Well hey, how cool is this, we thought?
    So we kept driving through puddles and laughing like loons as the water went flying into the backseat. An hour or so later we picked up another buddy from work and threw him in the back seat. It was so funny, he climbs in and asks "Hey, why is there six inches of water back here?" only to be greeted by our evil laughter as we went looking for more puddles and proceeded to give him the drenching of his life as he was trapped back there.

I grew up in the country and we used to take this car down the old tank trails with all the 4x4s just to see if we could keep up. It did pretty well until the shocks fell off in the back. It was such an ugly car but for some reason I regret not having any pictures to remember it by today. When you're 16 you don't care; if it has 4 wheels and a gas peddle it is the coolest car in the world.

At least today I'm a bit better off..
    [​IMG]

7. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

My first car was a 1980 AMC Pacer.

About two months before I turned 16, my Dad bought a metallic blue Pacer for transportation to and from his carpool. He tried to convince me that it had the same curves as the Porsche 911. (I should have committed him right then and there.)

A week or so later, after picking me up from school in the Caddy, (thank God) we pulled into the driveway to see a brown Pacer parked next to the blue one. He burst out laughing even though I said "HOLY SHIT!" when I saw them.

It had an after market air conditioner that used to frost up the windshield. I put in a JC Whitney 8-zillion watt cassette deck and was off! The 258 straight-6 would take it over 100 mph

Have tons of memories from that thing even though I drove it for a little more than a year.

8. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

[​IMG] Yup. No two ways about it. Shoulda been given a little white jacket right at that moment. [​IMG]

My dad used to work for a TV station here in town. I remember in 1980, the station decided (in it's wisdom) to buy a couple of Pacers for official cars. Station logos on the side and everything. Most ridiculous car I ever saw. I think my Dad was horrified to be driving one. [​IMG]

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

1967 chevy bel air [​IMG]

the thing sat eight people ... comfortably.

it was the car i drove in high-school.

affectionately called "the green machine" until i drove it into a lightpole ... at approximately 45 miles an hour! [​IMG] i suspect if that had been some cheesy import, i wouldn't be here typing.

after above said incident, it was fixed and repainted this obnoxious red. car was then called "the red bomber".

caught my two friends having sex in the backseat once. i opened the door and saw this rather large white ass. a sight i won't forget.

whenever i turned a corner, the horn would blow. i finally had to cut some wire.

it had a stand-alone kraco cassette deck ... mounted under the dash. two pioneer 16x9's graced the back sill.

i LOVED that car!!!

10. Wade

Wade Stunt Coordinator

1970 2 door Chevy Impala [​IMG]

Like Ted's Bel Air, this thing held eight people comfortably and had plenty of power to move them around as well. These cars sure could take a beating. Too bad I ran the 400 small block into the ground. It think it started using more oil than gas. Got rid of it and downgraded to a '76 two tone blue Maverick [​IMG]

11. Robert Marc

Robert Marc Stunt Coordinator

Wow Ted, I think we had similar experiences. I drove a '72 Plymouth Fury III. Dark green with the white vinyl roof (it was constantly peeling off, of course). We called it the fury and it could seat 8 as well,it was a 4 door beast with a v-8. It's life ended suddenly in a ice aidded crash into a utility pole. I'm 6'2'' and I could "sleep" relatively comfortably in the back seat. Ahh the memories[​IMG]

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

so that's what they call in it omaha.... [​IMG]

13. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Hee...great stories!

When I met my wife (about 9 years ago), she was driving a late '70s Ford LTD. Green inside and out. The thing was in immaculate condition! Even it's anchor! [​IMG]

But the old yacht finally met it's end, so we got rid of it. Too bad, it really was in nice shape.

14. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

The only thing more rediculous than the Pacer was the Pacer Wagon. I can hear the rocket scientist behind this one saying, "OK, so we have this gigundous fishbowl that we're selling. LET'S MAKE IT BIGGER!"

The really great thing about these cars was that if you were smart enough to fill the gastank, you could pretty much repair anything that went wrong with it. They were simple to work on.

15. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

1965 Pontiac LeMans coupe that I bought my senior year in high school (1969). It had a 326CID V-8 "tricked out" with a Offy hi-rise aluminum intake manufold & humongous Holley 4 barrel carb, 3 speed manual transmission,& bucket seats.

Eventually I wore that engine out, and instead of rebuilding it, I got the bright idea to replace it with a 455 CID V-8 from a wreckeryard TransAm. Almost a perfect fit: I had to have dual exhausts custom made to fit the headers. Too poor to replace the trans with a 4 speed.
    Major torque, and it got 12MPH in the city and on the highway. Gas was about 33cents per gallon back then.

When the first oil embargo hit, I traded it for a Yamaha motorcycle so I could afford to get to school and work. Shoot me, please, I'd love to have that car back.